• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use Windows Ink Issue with photshop CC 2015.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really Adobe.

Can you please look into this issue:

If you check the "use windows ink" for wacom intous 5 (most likly all of the models) you are getting a REALLY enoying lag with zoom and pen size adjuster etc. If you turn it off, it works perfect, but the downside is the pen pressure opasity don't work.

I don't want to complain to much, but you should adress this issue, we are paying for your software!

And no! It's not the driver, I use many other drawing software and there is no issue there.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread. Since we gave the workarounds, Microsoft whose previous update caused the issue, have now issued a further update with a fix to Windows Ink.

See details here:

Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not seem to get the lag or the lag does not bother me. Others have your problem you can have Photoshop use Wintab API rather then ink with you Wacom . If you did a search you would have fount that out. Re: wacom tablet jittery with graphic's processing enabled

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you help me with my problem JJMACK PLS I GET THIS WEHN I TRY BAS RELIEF

Screenshot_5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea please try resetting all your Photoshop tools and if that does not clear up the problem try resetting your Photoshop preferences. They are the first thing I try when Photoshop starts acting up.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahah that's really huge file.

Hmm, i think that i may have wrote something wrong when i read you last response. It not really a Lag, but more like it's jumping back when you move the size slider. You get it? 🙂

Sorry if i sounded mad, but i was more in the line of frustrated, you know school assignment.

But, Ill check out the Wintab fix if that will fix the issue. If not i can allways do a workaround and export psd to another drawing software. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's for the answer JJMack.

I can say it not a graphic issue. Ill give the Wintap API a go, but. In my eyes, i feel it's a bit wrong for me to have to fix the issue my self, i do pay for the product no! ill post back when i have try'd the Wintab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to remember that Photoshop was not designed to be a Paint program. Photoshop was designed to edit Images.  Manipulate Images pixels. If you have a large image one with many MP there are a lot of Pixels.  If you have many layers that are blended the number of pixels jumps.   When you zoom way out so you cam see the entire image composition. Photoshop has created as scale doe image that you can see and work on.  While you are working on the zoomed out view Photoshop is scaling, interpolating, blending, rendering your work on the modified areas.  There is a lot going on.  Photoshop Brush engine is also very rich and complex.  Brushes and their settings can have a tremendous impact on performance.  I do not think that a machine exists that is capable of rendering some Brush settings without a tremendous amount of lag.   I have played with brush setting ther are setting you should not make.  If you do the brush will not be useable. Every thing paly a part sone plad a big part.

If you think I'm wrong that your machine is fast do the following:

Open a new document 30,000px x 30,000px  Yes its huge.

Ctrl+0 Zoom Fit on screen Zoom all the way out.

Select the Mixer Brush Tool.

Select one of the fancy new Flat Fan brushes.

In the Brush palette set Spacing 1% and tip size 100Px

Have the brush load paint after each stroke.

Paint

If your machine does not have a tremendous amount of lag please post it specs and the OS you using

If it hurts do not do it the doctor said.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hansb90361119 wrote:

If you check the "use windows ink" for wacom intous 5 (most likly all of the models) you are getting a REALLY annoying lag with zoom and pen size adjuster etc. If you turn it off, it works perfect, but the downside is the pen pressure opacity don't work.

You've turned off Windows Ink, so without supplying an alternative, pen pressure is not going to work.  You have to enable WinTab.

If Windows Ink is disabled

1. Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

2. Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

3. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt

4. Put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

5. Restart Photoshop and check the pen pressure and overall performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Very useful to create that file.  After many years, this issue still persistent in Windows-Photoshop and not a single fix has been done to this day.  We have to create that file every time we install a new photoshop in a Windows based machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2019 and I'm still using this hack. I keep forgetting how to do this, because there are a million different solutions to the performance/diappearing mouse cursor/long press circle/whatever problems that are related to the Windows Ink/Photosphop/Wacom combination. It takes me at least an hour and a few new white hair each time go through several different non-working solutions, do the research and end up at this post. 

Who can I scream at for still not fixing this!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youself do it loud get it out of your system its not a issue for most and you seen to know how to address it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, of course.. sry for the outburst. Except for the "not an issue for most". If it's a Windows Ink Issue, then it probably happens on all Windows machines using Photoshop/Wacom combination, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Wacom tablets can use windows INK and so can CC versions pf Photoshop.  On my Surface Pro 3 I do not install CS version of Photoshop. I use  Windows ink with my Surface Pro 3 Pen and when I attach my Wacon Intuos tablet to my SP3  the Wacom tablet uses Windows INK with all applications including CC version of Photoshop.

On my Workstation I have both CS and CC versions of Photoshop installed I configures my Wacom tablet not ti use Windows INK with Photoshop  configure CC versions of Photoshop also not to use windows INK.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows ink really does not play well with wacom... so its shouldnt get broken when you choose to disable it (to not get the wierd click and hold issue). for an issue that been around for years and known about, and an easy fix known... why not just fix it... instead of dumping resources into trying to get photoshop to work on an ipad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this also work for photoshop cc 2017? I've tried it but pen pressure doesn't seem to work. Do I have to download a wintab driver or is it already in windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY CRAP. Why on earth is such a solution not built directly into photoshop???? Yeah, this worked (for cc2017). I don't often draw in photoshop, but I've encountered this problem from time to time over the last few years. It's always really annoyed me but I plodded along because I couldn't find anything close to a solution through google searches. Finally, I tried the actual adobe forums and here it is. How has this solution not made it out of this forum?

Oh, and THANK YOU btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great with the Yiynova Tablet too on Windows 10, Photoshop CC 2017.

Thank you for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, so I've tried this technique recently. I didn't have an issue with lag when using windows ink, just a little bit when using the marquee selection tool. Mostly I just don't like the modifier keys popping up under my cursor in Windows Ink. But I'm experiencing a slight lag in brushstrokes when I use the WinTab API. It's only slight but it really affects my workflow even with the smallest and simplest brushes. Any idea what is causing this lag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USING latest  photoshop CC 2018 On latest Win with latest Wacom drivers

tried this... was very hopeful.. when shutting down photoshop i got this error

when I reopened Photoshop, the UI came up in default grey, and wasn't able to get the new file dialogue to come up...

deleted PSUserConfig.txt and same thing ..

default grey UI no open dialogues ...did this just hose my PS install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what you have done.  Try the following close Photoshop.  Use windows file explorer with its view Options set so you can see hidden Folders and files.

Navigate to "C:\Users\youruserid\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018"

Rename that folder "C:\Users\youruserid\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Old"

Start Photoshop see what happens what you renamed should be recreated.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Windows 10, Adobe CC subscription and an Intuos 5 pen tablet.

I have the same issue, but it's exaggerated -- 5 to 7 second lag when using the pen tool in PS. It's really unworkable.  Please don't say PS was not designed as a painting program.  I have used it in combination with a Wacom tablet pen to create digital paintings with great success for 11 years.  My lag started today after I downloaded the latest PS update (05 Mar 2018.) 

I have tried disabling Windows Ink in the Wacom properties, creating the PSUserConfig.txt document (and saving in the folder as directed) and Disabling the "press and hold for right-clicking" in the Windows Pen and touch options. 

Another fix would be so appreciated.  PS is essential to my business as a medical illustrator and it is unusable at the moment.

Thank you,
Devon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

An addendum.  I just installed the last version of PS before the most recent update --- and the lag is gone!  Even with "Windows Ink" checked in Wacom properties, no lag.

So that suits me for now.  The problem is clearly with the latest PS update.

Thanks,

Devon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i'm having trouble with where i'm supposed to paste the file. I'm following the  path C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\  as suggested but in roaming adobe is not there. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm on windows 10 and using cc 2014. This pen problem has really put a halt to my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If You are using windows and Photoshop CC 2015.  If that folder does not exist when you start Photoshop CC 2015. Photoshop will create that folder and populate the tree with Adobe  Photoshop CC 2015 default preferences.     The folder should be there.  However With windows default view setting the folder and file within are hidden.  You need to change your user ID windows file explorer default view setting to be able to see these.  I have removed CC from may machine I'll show CC 208 instead.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines