Highlighted

Vector Masks in PS 2020

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm taking an online photoshop master class but the instructor is using an older version of Photoshop so some tools have changed slightly. When using the pen tool and geometric shapes in vector masks I have shapes inside of other shapes and now I want to select the outer shape to delete it. When I do that instead of deleting the rough outside shape (made with pen tool) and leaving the inside shapes, it restores the entire original image. I've included screenshots of before and after selecting the outside shape and pressing delete (which is what the instructor does) What step am I missing?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Yes that is the issue.

Those additional paths are not part of the vector mask, hence when you delete the outer path that is in the vector mask , the mask is effectively removed.

Make sure you have the vector mask selected when you add your additional paths and that path operations is set to combine paths

Dave

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Vector Masks in PS 2020

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm taking an online photoshop master class but the instructor is using an older version of Photoshop so some tools have changed slightly. When using the pen tool and geometric shapes in vector masks I have shapes inside of other shapes and now I want to select the outer shape to delete it. When I do that instead of deleting the rough outside shape (made with pen tool) and leaving the inside shapes, it restores the entire original image. I've included screenshots of before and after selecting the outside shape and pressing delete (which is what the instructor does) What step am I missing?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

Yes that is the issue.

Those additional paths are not part of the vector mask, hence when you delete the outer path that is in the vector mask , the mask is effectively removed.

Make sure you have the vector mask selected when you add your additional paths and that path operations is set to combine paths

Dave

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screen capture we see you made a crude paths around the subject and added it the image layers as a vector layer mask.  You can now use  the vector tools to edtr the vector layer mask path to tighten up your mask around the subject. Control points can be added, deleted, moved  converted and curves adjusted. You paths will have very few curves to deal with. 

The Vector tools to use

image.pngCapture.jpg 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hint with the initial Path you created you will have a hard time editing your vector layer mask. You need to start over and make a tighter closer path to start with. More control point tighten path. Here I woulds start with three paths two would be subtract mode. Thet add layer mask and edit the paths.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s visible or not when using paths can depend on which setting is selected in the Path Operations menu, so try different settings. That menu is available in the options bar when a path or shape tool is selected.

Photoshop-Path-Operations.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something strange there. There appears to be no indication of those inner paths in the vector mask thumbnail.

Can you show the paths panel just before you delete.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three closed Paths in my Vector layer mask the smaller two smaller inner paths are subtract mode the only indication you see is in the Work Path thumbnail in the paths palette. The same thumbnaile you see in the Layers palette in vector layer mask. They are not filled with white they substract.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Yes the smaller shapes are in the path palette, they don't show in the vector layer. Is that the problem?

I appreciate all your explanations but I'm still confused as to how to delete the rough outer shape.

Please bear with me, I'm very new to photoshop.

I understand how to tighten up the vector layer mask as you showed. I didnt take the time to do that because this is just an exercise to learn functions. The instruction moves quickly so I just used the shapes as the instructor did to follow the same functions. 

I've attached a screenshot of the course I'm taking just so you can see the settings of the instructor just before he hits backspace. IMG_5755.JPG

I've also included a picture of the paths palette just before I hit delete. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.44.11 AM.png

Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is the issue.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it, I forgot to hold down command when I created the vector mask. 

Thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JJMack LATEST
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not create the Work Path Correctly.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines