• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very slow image resizing Photoshop v21.01

Participant ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something curious:  I updated to Photoshop v21.01, and now it's curiously slow resizing images.

Simply resizing a  4K (3840) image to  1K(1920) using basic bicubic resampling can take 10 seconds or more - Much more if I use a more expensize algorithm live preserve details 2 or have a lot of layers in my image.

What gives?  I have an absolute powerhouse computer and this action was almost instantaneous (except for very large files) in the last build of Photoshop.  What are you guys doing now during a resize?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher,

That does not sound good, as Photoshop is alow at resizing images, could you please try enabling "Legacy compositing" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

You may also try optimizing the preferences of Photoshop and let us know how it goes: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Also, please update Photoshop to version 21.0.2 via the Creative Cloud Desktop app and see if it helps.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem - Legacy Compositing is selected. I can't get anything done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a try.  This is curious, since the last build was performing fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a similar problem here, although i've noticed that it's only my *first* resize that takes a while (~15 seconds). anything after that works as well as it did before the 2020 update. of course, once i close and restart photoshop, then i'm back to an initial wait for the first resize. is something not getting initialized when PS loads, maybe?

i've tried with legacy-compositing on and off, with no difference.

if i turn off 'use GPU' entirely, the problem goes away. if i just turn off the 'use openCL' option, the problem goes away. 

to reiterate - this all worked fine before version 21

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a quick update - whilst persistent up until this point, this problem has gone away in version 22.3. an image resize now happens instantaneously, just like in the good old days.

blur gallery stuff is fast and glitch-free.

oil paint seems to work fine.

windows 10 x64
AMD radeon 5500XT
radeon software version 21.3.1

openCL turned off in GPU settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to hear that.  I'll try downloading the update and see how it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Legacy Composity worked fine and now the problem is gone, but...

Are you gonna fix the problem? If you worke to make a new Compo shouldn't it work better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same probelm with resizing here, it just started this week !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here, now downloading 22.1. hope its gonna be fixed but I wil ltry legacy compo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, resizing is very slow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same/similar problem. Image resizing worked normally before last update, now it takes several seconds to "think" before it actually does anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Started recently...but there is a lag of 10-15 seconds to resize, and sometimes it freezes up completely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  The program gets bigger and slower.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also do not see any option under Prefernces > Performance for "Legacy compositing"... but do see the message that is has been removed: 

Since 2018, Adobe has been modernizing the compositing engine in Photoshop and finalized the effort in version 22.

As of version 22, the Legacy Compositing checkbox is no longer available in the performance preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem: I'm using Photoshop 23.4.2 and using the image processor to change RAW files to smaller jpg files now takes forever. For example, 4 images took a little more than minute to complete. I have a new Mac Studio/ 64 GB RAM. I have tried severa suggestions shared hear but nothing seems to work. Also using a scratch disk. Any suggestions. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up to yesterdays post: Today I tried the image processor function with a previous version of  PS. I used the 2021 version of PS and Bridge. Converting the same 4 RAW files to jpg took less than 10 second versus the over 1 minute with the current version of PS and Bridge, This certainly appears to be Adobe's problem and not my hardward of OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: I downloaded the latest version of PS 23.5.0 and Bridge 12.0.3.270. The performance of the Image Processor seems to be much improved. Processing 4 RAW files took about 12 seconds versus the previous time of over 1 minute. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines