• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 860 Replies 860
860 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 
any update from adobe?

it's almost 2021. 😉
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 11.11.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above... working with Catalina, Ps2020 -  I had no issues with video files.

What are your computer/app specs?

Do you just need a sequence of frames from your movie? (Adobe Media Encoder much better)

You don't need to make a sequence in order to use the movie in photoshop necessarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've been experiencing this same exact issue! Were you ever able to solve it? I spent 7 hours on the phone with Adobe customer service today and nothing we tried worked. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/kfh8ma/video_file_cannot_be_openedunrecognized_format/?u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I experienced the same problem until I read this and it worked it was just blocked by mac os security, hope it will helps !Capture d’écran 2021-01-04 à 00.15.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific when you say you "cannot open any video files?" How are you opening them? What happens when you open them, is there an error message? Please tell us exactly what you're doing and what happens.

I have used Photoshop extensively for editing videos on both Windows and Mac, and haven't seen any general issues with it.

To be clear, I always try to use the shortest and smallest video possible; I would never try to open a 3 minute long 4K video, for example. I use PS for small edits to apply special effects only in small segments of video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone can open video files with Photoshop after update to 22.3? I'm using an M1 Mac Mini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, no problems over here…

What kind of Video files? What error message do you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with mp4 files and mov. Photoshop said that can't read that kind of files, but until I update later today to the new version for Apple Silicon, it worked 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open videos in Photoshop 22.3 on intel mac book pro 2015 (mojave) but not in the same version of Photoshop on M1 mac mini (Big Sur 11.2.3).

M1 Photoshop does not even show "video" in the available formats in "open" dialogue window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot export an animation to video anymore. I'm on Photoshop 22.3 on a Mac M1. What can I do? The option is not even visible in the menu. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Cannot open MOV in PS and don't know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Catalina or Big Sur? 32bit files are not supported on these - only 64bit files.

Files such as .mp4 and .mov are containers - not codecs. So if they contain 32bit codecs (e.g Quicktime) they will no longer open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me more details. I think 32bit files are not supported and only 64bit is supported with mp4 and .mov extensions. If you are opening 32bit codecs. This will not work. I am creating videos for a website in 64bits with mp4 extensions and this is working properly. 

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"32bit files are not supported on these - only 64bit files. " Sorry, that's a bit of an oversimplification. 32-bit APPS are not supported. Some old CODECs might no longer be supported, if they don't have new apps. These are called "Legacy CODECs" but QuickTime and its many other CODECs are alive and well. (Doesn't help you if you have an old one of course).  Details: https://larryjordan.com/blog/important-dont-lose-access-to-older-media/

I would think the quick test for this is to see if the clip that one wants to import opens in QuickTime Player. And the original poster already did this test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded Photoshop 2021 and the render video buttons are gone. I found the video timeline, but there's no way to export a video. Has it been changed to a different name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me!! thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Has anybody had this problem? I want to insert a video into an image and have found a simple YouTube tutorial, which I tested last week. It was done by making a rectangle a Smart Object and then working in the 'Create Video Timeline' feature.

But when I went to do the task for real yesterday, when I open the Timeline window I'm only given the option to Create Frame Animation - there is not option to Create Video Timeline. When I tried it last week, it was already showing 'Create Video Timeline' when I opened the window, but I have updated the OS and now it is gone completely. I wonder if they're linked.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 09.57.28.png

I am using Photoshop CC 22.3.0 on Big Sur 11.2.3.

Can anyone suggest a fix? I have been onto Adobe support all day and they can't seem to grasp what the problem is.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Seems it's an issue with v22.3 not working properly with the M1 chipset: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html#sa_src=web-messaging

I reinstalled v22.2 and it's reappeared.

Apparently installing Rosetta should help it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861#sa_src=web-messaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Finally, Photoshop supports M1 processors, however, the newly updated version doesn't open video file formats. I'm trying to open MOV and MP4 files and it says: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Yesterday (on a previous version) everything was fine...

MacBook Pro 13'', M1 chip, 16GB RAM

Mac OS Big Sur, 11.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue! such a bummer!

adobe, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, 'open with Rosetta' works. But there is no point in updating to 22.3 then 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Open with Rosetta' option works, but there's no point in installing 22.3 v....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm a teacher and have given my digital art students an assignment to create an animated GIF using the video timeline. I have a student who, after updating her PS to 2021, cannot access the video timeline, only frame animation. Meaning, video options aren't available in the Layers menu or in the Timeline, even when she first opens her timeline (where it normally prompts you to select Video or Frame Animation), and there isn't even the option to convert from frames to video. I've tried every workaround I can think of. We're remote so all the students are using their own systems, but the student has plenty of free space/ memory on her Mac, and everything is up to date software-wise (including Quicktime). Any advice most welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HP computer can't function well with photoshop 2021, so I bought Mac M1 this year.

Unfortunately, photoshop 2021 in Mac M1 doesn't have the foundtion to make timelapse??

is there any one know why? 

after loaded photos by FILE-SCRIPTS-LOAD FILES INTO STACK, under the time line, there is only CREATE FRAME ANIMATION in drop down menu, but in Windows photoshop 2021, there are two options: 1.CREATE VIDEO TIMELINE, 2. CREATE FRAME ANIMATION

Any one the why? or how long we will be waiting for update?

Thanks

Worf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Timeline, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Does the problem also happen when she creates a new file? 

If all else fails: What has she done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate