Highlighted

View Hide Transparency

Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the a key command similar to Illustrator Shift Command D to toggle transparency.

I tried to make actions, but they do not work in play or button mode. Looks like they recorded good.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 7.03.26 PM.png

If someone has a way to make this work, is there a warning to tell you the background is set to none. Though I have been using Adobe products since the beginning, I  feel that I would forget what mode I am in causing a panic.

What happened to Photoshop user voice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

View Hide Transparency

Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the a key command similar to Illustrator Shift Command D to toggle transparency.

I tried to make actions, but they do not work in play or button mode. Looks like they recorded good.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 7.03.26 PM.png

If someone has a way to make this work, is there a warning to tell you the background is set to none. Though I have been using Adobe products since the beginning, I  feel that I would forget what mode I am in causing a panic.

What happened to Photoshop user voice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 14, 2018 0
Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transparency is selected in Preferences in Photoshop. No keyboard shortcut to turn on/off the transparency grid.

You can change layer opacity by pressing the number keys, for example 1 = 10%, 0 = 100%.

There is no warning if there is no background layer.

You can submit enhancements or bugs for Adobe products at Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2018 1
Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layer opacity is a great suggestion I did not think of  that. I can utilize that on the high end work we do.

Do you have any idea why the transparency preference in my action will not work on Mac CC2018. Would you or someone mind trying the action on your computer?

Could anyone try making the action in my screenshot and give me your feedback?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  A layer has a Layer mask that adds transparency to a  layer you can disable the layers's layer mask. Also Photoshop's Background layer does not support transparency It transparency is locked. If a layer has area's that have no pixel data there are no pixels it that area.  There are no empty area in document background layer.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2018 0
Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any idea why my action will not work? An action as button would be ideal, as I haev dozens of other oactiosn for drawing shadows to dropping backgrounds this would compliment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I you posted part of  an action and what was posted was truncated.  Action also can not use logic you may need some scripting to do what you want if what you want can be automated.

You can easily turn Layer mask  on and off with an action or  clicking  on he layer mask in the layer palette with and without the shift key

CC2018 does not seem to record actions that record setting transparency preferences correctly cc 2019 does a better job there.  All version of Photoshop gave bugs.

Try downloading LayerMaskOffOn.atn seems to work in CS6 CC 2014 CC 2018 and cc2019

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2018 1
Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies to those who tried to help on my post, was being bombarded  with rush jobs, and did not even notice having missed the entire action..

At home this worked in both 2018 & 2019. Both systems are High Sierra. Will try flashing my prefs on Monday. Below is form CC2018.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 8.59.32 PM.png

In CC2019, as you mentioned more detaileld/thorough

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 8.48.56 PM.png

Was such a relief to do this in button mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a long time, but its never to late! And I have a very simple solution, or at least a very simple workaround.

Yes, it would be really nice if you could toggle the transparency grid on/off replacing it with a white (or by choice) background with a simple click like in After Effects. Sometimes it is really hard to see all the little fragmental pixels scattered around several objects and details when cleaning them out from the background. I work a lot with art, drawings and engravings with a lot of details you want to preserve, and it surely can be a living hell sometimes.

I usually don't like workarounds very much, but this is a very easy one and I use it all the time:

1. Create a new layer
  2. Drag the layer to the most suitable level (usually to the bottom or right underneath the layer/layers you are editing)
  3. Fill the new layer with a suitable colour depending on the brightness and colour of the image you are editing (I usually start out with black or white and change it to whatever colours works best as I go along).
  4. Use the eye icon to turn the solid colour layer on to edit against a solid background, and turn it off  to edit agaisnt the transparent grid.
  5. I often use multiple solid colour layers and toggle between them, sometimes it's easier than changing the colour all the time.
  6.  Discard the layer/layers when you are done.

I work mostly with After Effects, Premiere and Animate, so I hope I understood your problem correctly. If not I hope somebody else might find this helpful.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0