• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who's "we" david, if you don't mind me asking... do you work for adobe? thumbnails in explorer again would be cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, file sent. I will gladly accept a complementary codec pack for my invaluable contribution. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> who's "we"

I don't work for Adobe.

Ken Silverman (of BUILD fame) and I co-founded Ardfry Imaging, LLC, a small software company that specializes in imaging and graphics.

Our website is here: http://www.ardfry.com

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, ok. cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, ok. cool. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just put a page up for our 64 bit and 32 bit PSD codec.  It's currently in private beta with a few of our very technically minded customers.

http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new kid in town for Photoshop PSD thumbnails and previews in Windows Explorer: the FastPictureViewer PSD Codec extracts the embedded thumbnail and flattened image from PSD files and goes an extra mile when necessary and attempts to render layered files that were saved without the Maximum Compatibility option in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome!  Only a few weeks ago I upgraded to your commercial codec pack to get .cr2 thumbnail support on my Windows 7 x64 system, and I hadn't yet come up with a solution for seeing .psd thumbnails.  I just downloaded and installed 2.4 under your 2.x upgrade policy and it works nicely!  Now this codec pack is the one-stop-shop for raw file thumbnails AND .psd thumbnails.  Nice work!

ExplorerPSDThumbs.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed!

Now if only his Customer Service skills matched his coding skills......

In my opinion, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use PowerDesk 8 (which I use as a sub for Windows Explorer), which gives a full preview of .psd files, which is good for me. Bridge also does this, so I don't know why you would use a 'reg hack' for Explorer which is known to corrupt PSD files.

Bridge was meant to replace Explorer for Adobe files plus all the usual suspects. While there were issues with earlier versions of Bridge, it is now very stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge has limited powers concerning outside the system powers. There are times when I am doing a search for a specific file I know exists in more than one place for which Explorer is the better choice, but when the sources come up, I have to open in Bridge, all the ones I think are correct. That sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

Bridge has limited powers concerning outside the system powers. There are times when I am doing a search for a specific file I know exists in more than one place for which Explorer is the better choice, but when the sources come up, I have to open in Bridge, all the ones I think are correct. That sucks!

I think you are missing something there.

Having said that, I think the search in Win7 is the quickest. M$ certainly got that right!

(I see Microsoft have now been removed from the "axis of evil" by the IT press.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hence my use of PowerDesk all these years when I need to 'find' something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome! I always strive to find new ways to better serve the needs of my valued customers

PSD support was the #1 request for some time, it was now added and I'm glad you found it to work well for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe so, John, and any pointers appreciated.

The key to Explorer vs Bridge is not only speed, but the fact that I can line up an open file against another source by simply clicking between them. In Bridge, if I do that across drives, returning to the first view gets me back to the folder, but not what was highlighted. I'm better off in Bridge to simply open both in PS.

But without the ability to see psd, it's death in Explorer also. Finally, if I have a psd, it's usually because they contain layers. Many searches come down to matching the tiff, to the psd possessing the correct layers and settings so I can go back and play more if I need to.

When I did a trial of Fastpictureviewer pro, I got mixed results. At that point, psd wasn't available so that limited it. I also got very flat looking tiffs in MS Media.Checking it out, the tiff was one of the remaining images that I actually saved with layers!

In any case, I need a better system/method for classifying my images so they can be searched as to their specific condition. I save a number of psd's with different layer configurations. These are easy to find in Bridge as I always cluster them in the root folder. I need to be able to rapidly compare without losing the effects of layers.

So, here's my shopping list:

I want a system to search images of a specific name, in all the versions that exist, displaying them as they would look whether or not layers are involved. I also want to be able to save all the data that indicates the settings in PS for all the adjustments.under the Application Menus and the Panel menus. I want that saved separately for each image where I choose, normally in the root folder for that image.

Then of course, all the metadata that Bridge does provide!

So much work! So little time or money!

I think the components are there in Bridge to do that. Just more effort, if there is enough of a call for it, on the part of the coders.

Whomever said Time-Money-Quality, pick any two, has it right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

Maybe so, John, and any pointers appreciated.

I'm just preparing for tonight's meeting of our local Photographic Club.

If someone doesn't explain in the meantime, I'll get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ardfry PSD codec exposes the metadata (EXIF,IPTC, and XMP) in the PSD to both Windows Explorer and Windows Desktop Search for viewing.

If PSDs are saved with Maximize Compatibility set, then they will look faithful to their actual appearance regardless of the complexity of the layers in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at PowerDesk, and I'll try the version 6 first. I assume that there is no viewer attached, so some sort of viewer like some indicted here is still necessary.

One advantage over Bridge is that I can use this for all my files. OTOH, dual pane viewing works well in Win7 and the Search is better than XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, version 6 doesn't play well with Win7 and the thumbs for all types disappeared. Any change from defaults requires a system reboot, not just the app.

Also, I didn't understand what dual pane meant. The way they present it is much better than ex[plorer for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, dual pane is good for directory comparison, you can use it to merge directories to have the most recent copied to one directory. You might have to think 'old school DOS' to appreciate what it can do.

I have PD8, works well with Vista64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I barely used DOS but I seem to recall it.

I also downloaded the psd codec from Ardfry. That also works great for PS files but the data fields are empty for psd, populated for tiff.

Too bad only version 6 is the trial version for PD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 works Gr8!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 20, 2010 Nov 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Ardfry and FastPictureViewer have both released Windows Imaging Component decoders for PSD.

Isn't it time for Adobe to release their own official decoder? They ceased development on it because Microsoft DLLs were faulty. The problem was solved almost two years ago but still no PSD thumbnails in Explorer from the official source of PSD specification.

too bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware of any fault in "Microsoft DLLs" that would prevent codec development, could you be more specific?

Writing WIC codecs is not exactly easy, you don't just snap your fingers and have a working codec that actually performs as intended on all the versions and editons of Windows out there, it takes very specific skills to do so and perhaps the Adobe folks who could do it are busy doing more profitable work?

The cost/benefit analysis for a PSD codec certainly does not look so good from Adobe's perspective in my opinion, it's just an additional liability - something to support and maintain - and one that will not help their bottom line in any way as I doubt it would help them sell more copies of Photoshop. It's also a risky little piece of software as any bug taking down or hanging Explorer is a sure-kill way to a PR disaster. Or perhaps full-fidelity PSD rendering outside of (and without) Photoshop or any Adobe software does not fit some marketing dept. plans?

Fortunately, as you pointed out, perfectly viable alternatives exists and works great today, as evidenced by some earlier posts in this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably right that Adobe is more concerned with the "gee whiz" features that sell more copies, but in my opinion they've been leaning a bit too heavily in that direction, and doing a bit too little of the mainstream stuff.

It's good that we have nice alternatives that work well, like your FastPictureViewer Codec pack, Axel.  Yours is the best of the crop, IMO, and I voted with my wallet.  I hope for your sake Adobe leaves this blind spot in place and you continue to sell copies.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate