• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Early in this thread it was said that Microsoft DLLs caused some thumbnailed files to keep open avoiding Photoshop to save the changes made to them. Since it was a problem from Microsoft, that's why Adobe dropped further development and removed the codec from the CS version and above. I never had this problem and in fact had been using the hack of installing the Adobe dll in WindowsXP until I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (the hack doesn't work for x64 since it is a x86 library)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to open a file (jpg, tif, raw... etc) within Photoshop cs6, you no longer see the little thumbnail to see which file you are on. Is there a preference I'm missing or does this version not include it. It is very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes my work very difficult, I cannot find anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very annoying. Open is one of the most basic functions of any program. How can you screw this up? FIX IT NOW!

Make it work in List view and Detail view. Switching to Bridge just to open a file - ridiculous. FIX IT NOW!

It was in CS5, you must know the codes. FIX IT NOW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When open the "Open-file dialog" and choose a file to open:

- In Photoshop CS5: you have the ability to see a preview of the selected file you are about to open in the preview section at the bottom of the dialog window.

- In Photoshop CS6: No preview appears.

I was using this feature a lot when I am trying to open a .psd file, and now it is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 isn't able to show the preview in open dialouge box b/c Adobe wants that their user use Bridge for that purpose, & Bridge still builts heavy cache,
check this link for Bridge.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/745353
after seeing this you must think that Adobe ............. !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw this when I was running the beta version and then bought the full hoping they had fixed it. Now that I see they haven't it's just ridiculous. I hate bridge. It's clunky and slow.

I work with raw CR2 files and TIFF's and I hate not being able to simply use the Open dialogue box to see what the image is. I should be able to see it without having to open it. And the fact that you can't even see a simple PSD file in the open dialogue is beyond stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a big problem for windows users the can install the low cost FastPictureViewer codecs. The them installed you can view Thumbnails of RAW and PSD files in Windows File explorer in addition the the file formats Windows supports thumbnails for. Thumbnails are also available in File open dialog including Photoshop file open dialog.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry John...but that is NOT a fix. I have something like you mentioned installed and while it's somewhat of an improvement over nothing at all, it's still extremely lacking. That still doesn't allow me to browse my files by LIST view. My customer folder may have as many as 100 files in each one. Scrolling through massive thumbnails with that many files isn't for everyone. A lot of Windows users actually prefer browsing via LIST view. Without the preview window at the bottom, your only option is to open it or switch to thumbnail view every time. I work as fast and efficiently as possible, and this really is one of those things that cuts down my momentum in workflow throughout the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe changes the behavior of their Products over time, Its not a bug a old feature has been removed. No different then other GUI Adobe removed. Other features like Extract(good thing to remove) and Picture Package. If the noise level is high like Contact Sheet II and PDF Presentation Adobe may restore the feature in the future. Its NOT a Bug no FIX is required.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree John. Seeing as how the preview is still there on the Mac version of Photoshop, it sounds a lot more like negligence to take as much care on the Windows side as they do on the Apple side, or just something they flat out missed on accident. Plus, we're not talking about a stupid tool nobody uses or that another tool does better, we're talking about a very basic UI function that's been around in Photoshop for years that makes no sense to remove. It's almost like taking out the "Open" or "Save" function and Adobe just saying "Those don't need to be there because everybody should be using Ctrl+O and Ctrl+S." It's about options and customer usability. And usually the reason for pulling a feature is because there's a better, faster way to do it. In my OPINION, as well as the opinion of many others, the list view is the quickest, most efficient way to get around numerous files and distinguishing between file types, and without the preview pane, people that prefer the list view are crippled and forced to work a different, less efficient way. I'm not a creature of habit either. I'm usually the first to say "Give the new system a chance...it's better! You'll see!", so don't think I'm one of those "Leave it the way it was" kind of guys, cause I'm very much the opposite. But there's IMPROVING THE SYSTEM...and then there's just SCREWING WITH THE SYSTEM.

That said, there seems be to an increasing number of things Adobe omitted or changed this version that are more of a pain than a help. If they are indeed doing this stuff on purpose, then it's pretty much slapping their users in the face and saying "To heck with user preference...we don't care what you like...this is the way we want it, and you'll just have to get use to it."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview is not available on MacOS, either. The only previews available are those supplied by the OS in the open/save dialog (which is also an OS dialog, on both platforms).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd seen feedback from Mac users, Chris, that they still had the preview available (for some reason, the Mac dialog box integrated correctly with Photoshop, as it should). I haven't personally seen it myself, as I don't use a Mac. You can see this original discussion over here, though, where the guy on post #11 claims he can see the preview just fine on his Mac in CS6: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4408757

I appreciate you taking the time to get on here and give us some feedback Chris, as an employee of Adobe. But while you're on here, can you not enlighten us as to why you guys would omit that feature in the first place? Cause from what I gather, you basically just came in here and said "Nope...it ticks people off on Macs too.", rather than addressing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Macintosh users have almost exactly the same view you do on Windows.

On Macintosh, the OS provides more file thumbnails than WIndows does - most likely he is confusing that with the old preview.

Short version: The OSes are taking more and more control over the open/save dialogs, and we couldn't keep the preview. The OSes can provide thumbnails, so the preview is largely redundant - but only one OS vendor currently supplies thumbnails for most formats by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't make any sense Chris, seeing as how I ran CS4 and CS5 with the previews on the same Windows 7 OS I'm using now without this problem. I was using CS5 two weeks ago with none of these problems, so you can't say that you guys just didn't have the coding for it (as another user pointed out above). The preview pane is NOT redundant. You're making the same point that John was--which is that we should all be browsing in thumbnail view, and many people don't like to do that. Especially us that use these programs in the print industry that may have 3-5 different versions of the same file for different purposes, and a ton of files to sort through. Some of us don't like to have 10 thumbnails shown in a dialog box per window that we have to scroll through page to page when we can have 30-50 files shown per window to skim through very quickly.

It almost seems like a lazy thing...where you guys could do it, but it would kind of be a pain to do....which hardly sounds like a reason when I'm paying a monthly subscription for the "best", most up-to-date software available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't seeing the OS API changes, you aren't seeing the upcoming OS versions, etc. We have more information about what is going on and what is coming than you do. I'm sorry, but it's just not as simple as you imagine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're saying that something like Windows 8 is going to affect it? If that's the case, I would LOVE to hear from someone that's running the Windows 8 beta with CS5 or earlier and see if they have the preview pane. Cause if they do, that obviously means nothing was wrong pre-CS6 that couldn't have been worked out with a bit of extra effort with CS6 on Win 8.

All that aside, though, I'm gathering from all of this that you guys actually knew about the problem beforehand, and let it go through like that? Is there something in Windows 8 that's going to make my life THAT much easier with CS6 and not having the preview pane in the open box? (If so, I'm down for that...as I'll grab up Windows 8 the day of release) Or was it just EASIER to shrug off the problem because it was a hassle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even moving to the Vista/Win7 open dialog would affect it.
And no, you're missing a lot of the issues involved. You're still oversimplifying, a lot.

Again, this is not a problem, this is not a bug -- this is us updating the Photoshop code to work with newer OS versions and restrictions from the OS vendors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Chris, you can say all day that this isn't an actual "bug", but it IS a problem. Is is a PROBLEM to people like me and thousands others that actually do use their computers in List view to be more productive. And you saying that it's NOT a problem?...well, maybe that's the issue here...that you guys don't see it as a big deal.

So just tell me, is it A) It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to code Photoshop to include the preview pane in CS6, or is it B) It's not financially beneficial to Adobe to have a few of their employees devote the time to figure out how to code the preview pane to work correctly with current OS's? That's not oversimplifying...try to jargon it up all you want....those are the only two possible scenarios that it really comes down to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you are still oversimplifying the issue.

I'm sorry that you feel inconvenienced. If you are on MacOS, then you can use the OS provided thumbnails/previews. If you are on Windows, you can wait for Microsoft or get a third party thumbnailing solution to provide thumbnails/previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Way to dodge that question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that you feel inconvenienced

I don't feel inconvenienced, I AM inconvenienced

really sad that this employee is representing this issue as they are just saying we are dumb for 'oversimplifying' and that we shouldn't need this feature and that we should fix it ourselves or just deal with our inconvenience. Thanks Chris Cox, photoshop employee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can this be a Windows problem? I am using the same Windows7 I used before. The only thing that changed is the Photoshop version. You can call this anything you want, but it is a huge inconvenience to many users and should be corrected. Adobe's relationship with it's customers will continue to suffer as long as this is not fixed. Until now this has been a great program, but there are alternatives. If your callous attitude about a problem that many consider serious is not reversed users won't feel so loyal for long. At least tell us you are working hard to correct this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough BS!
Some of us rely on speed and efficiency, utilising detail view is the best option.
Bridge serves its purpose for some but NOT FOR ALL.
It was mentioned it's not an issue on the Mac, which suggests it IS an issue which demands immediate attention.
Stop wasting everyone's time who has invested in your otherwise quality products and FIX THE PROBLEM NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2012 Jun 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge isn't involved here, and both platforms have the same functionality (due to both OS vendors restricting extension of their open/save dialogs).

If you would like to complain, please let Microsoft and Apple know that you don't like their restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate