Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing Photoshop created jpegs on LG TVs

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I have a simple request. Does anyone have an answer or can advise on viewing Photoshop processed jpegs on today's TVs? I have a number of such files that my LG OLED television (circa 2017) refuses to make viewable. It doesn't matter if they are low-res, high-res, 300kb, 10 MB in size, or 150 MB. The name I tag the images with doesn't seem to make any difference either (as in naming them with special characters, numbers...). There is some strange thing that's happening, because images processed in the same or similar manners are there, while others only show a broken, slashed-through icon. No difference I can tell! It was recommended by an Adobe agent that I try saving the pictures at 200 dpi rather than the usual 350 that most have been shot at. All photos can be viewed if I don't process them in Pshop. I've come across some information explaining there are disconnects with certain devices reading Pshop processed files, but I hope to fix this. Can anyone help? Have you experienced similar problems? I don't think I'm alone.

Big thanks.

ps: I prefer the jpeg format, I've tried saving as tiffs, or ping files (ping?), you name it, and I get the same results.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Forget PPI, it is meaningless for device display. Start with full HD resolution, unless the native resolution of the TV is larger or different.

There are different ways to get a JPEG out of Photoshop:

1) Save As/Save As a Copy

2) Export > Save for Web (Legacy)

3) Export As

4) Generate Image Assets

5) Adobe Camera Raw can also output JPEG files without opening into Photoshop

Then there is Adobe Bridge...

So there are many methods that you can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just open and save them in paint. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a fast solution if you have a lot of photos to work with, because paint only opens one at a time. And does the result photo has the some size and resolution than the original one? Doesn't anybody on this forum have a better solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try matching the pixel size if the monitor? Also be sure you are working with RGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of fact the problem only happens with the last updates of Photoshop. All the JPEG photos I saved in 2022 and before can be read by the LG tv. But after the Photoshop updates installed in 2023, the LG doesn't read the JPEG saved photos. Did Adobe change anything in the JPEG format in the recent months? Sorry if I'm not very clear with my explanation. My computing knowledge is very limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same happened to my images. Must be a download updated bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the images have a filename that ends in .JPG or JPEG, right?

I wonder if it is because of metadata that some images have and others don’t.

For example, JPEG images created with Save As or Save a Copy have full metadata, which may include some metadata types and previews that some devices might not read, while JPEG images created with Export As have minimal metadata to save file size, and JPEG images created with Save for Web (Legacy) may have all, some, or no metadata depending on how you set it up.

So are you using the same method to create the JPEG images that do work and those that don’t work, and if so, which command or method do you normally use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always used the command "save as" and then I choose JPEG. Any way the procedure always worked out untill the last months. I still believe it could be related with a recente update, but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget PPI, it is meaningless for device display. Start with full HD resolution, unless the native resolution of the TV is larger or different.

There are different ways to get a JPEG out of Photoshop:

1) Save As/Save As a Copy

2) Export > Save for Web (Legacy)

3) Export As

4) Generate Image Assets

5) Adobe Camera Raw can also output JPEG files without opening into Photoshop

Then there is Adobe Bridge...

So there are many methods that you can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'll try all that possibilities and give feed back here. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Stephen,

I used your last suggestion. I mean, I exported the Photoshop created files using Adobe Bridge to a temporary folder, then copied the files to the Synology NAS and the LG software could read them again. Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for coming back and updating the topic.

I have no idea why the files exported from Bridge work when the other methods don't. I'd need to compare the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

As matter of fact, I can't say whether the other methods you suggested would work or not, because I jumped directly to the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pixmonger May I please ask how are you getting the saved images to the TV?  A USB memory stick perhaps? Could the issue be the formatting of that memory stick? Is it the same one you used previously? 

neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I'm using a Sinilogy Nas as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joséc26126779 Thanks for that, I'm afraid that connecting a NAS to an LG TV is beyond my experience. NAS devices do have issues with long filenames and some characters are "illegal" too, as I understand it (I'm a mac user so that’s what's stopped me from using one)

I spotted this:

from 2017 so maybe it’s a feature that’s been added:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/110157

"In File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings I can activate "Enable VFS module to convert Mac special characters". This solves the problem for file names.- - - <snip>

It doesn't really work for folder names though. If a folder contains any of the special characters <>| (there might be more that I'm not aware of) the folder will be shown as non accessible (with the red circle and the white bar). No matter if they were created or renamed on my Mac or on the DiskStation."

Is that right about folders? I hope I don't have unacceptable characters in folder names - or some easy way to find them and rename them before transferring terabytes of data to the NAS.

good luck getting any coherent support form Synology though, it's like talking to a chatbot 

neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your detailed message NB.

I don't think the problem is related with the NAS, because I can open correctely the JPEG files saved in it from any Windows or Android device without any problem. Only the LG TV is unable to read those files saved with Photoshop from the begining of this year, not the ones saved before. That's why I'd like to have an explanation  from Adobe and LG technical experts for what is ocurring after the recent updates of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joséc26126779 

Upload a file that works and one that doesn't for examination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an LG OLED TV, but it's a few years newer than yours. I found a 4K image and copied it to Photoshop (to make sure I had a valid file) and saved it as a JPG.  I first tried using a Sandisk data stick, and the TV did not recognise the file system, so I tried again with a 2Tb WD Mt Passport portable drive, and it saw the file and displayed it OK.  It looked super sharp as well.

So could it be a file system issue like FAT32 NTFS ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, images processed in my Photoshop CS5 are there on my USB stick and can be viewed in any computer/laptop etc but when plugged into my LG TV all I can see are greyed out boxes with a slash.

Strangely I can see and play an MP4 video and as you state, images untouched by Photoshop are okey to view.

I suspect LG have downloaded software as an update and this is what is causing the problem.

I can still however view previously downloaded Photoshop amended images which is strange.

I did see that on my USB images that the image property details, the image colour representation was undefined but I changed them to sRGB and still no change to viewing ability. It also doesn't matter whether the files are jpeg, jpg or JPG either.

Will endeavour to contact LG about this and see what they have to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines