• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom pen pressure issue, possible solution.

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reference to this thread someone had posted, I had has the EXACT same issue, and have gone through long hours of my own troubleshooting.

The problem:

Whilst drawing in either photshop or SAI, the pen pressure sensitivity would just randomly fail and draw solid thick lines as if drawn with the mouse.

See image:

f_13ef_a61_uaso9.jpg

What I also learned, is that once the pressure sensitivity falls out, it doesnt recover until I lift the pen away from the tablet, and then back again, as seen in the following pic:

f_13ef_79b_uaso9.jpg

Sometimes it would fail on the 2nd brush stroke, others on the 100th. It's completely random.

What I have tried to fix the problem:

Complete removal of drivers and Bamboo dock, then fresh install from the bundled disc.

Complete removal of drivers and Bamboo dock, then fresh installation from the lates driver download (PenTablet_532-1)

Updated nVidia drivers.

Updated motherboard drivers.

Tried differnet USB ports.

Remove ALL existing USB devices from PC except the tablet.

Tried various tablet driver revisions from the download page.

Disabled press and hold right click.

Disabled buttons on the stylus.

Disabled buttons on the tablet.

I always have the touch feature disabled.

Changed nibs.

Even then, no luck. Lastly I decided to start ending proccesses in task manager one by one to see if there was perhaps a conflict.

The pressure sensistivity would fail ALWAYS within 30 seconds of drawing. So my method was as follows:

End a proccess. Draw a pic. One by one. I have an IT backround so I have knowledge of which proccesses are safe to close etc.

Each attempt the pressure sensitivity would fail well within 60 seconds. Until I hit a proccess called "ouc.exe".

After ending this proccess I have now gone a full day of drawing without this issue. I Googled said proccess and leanred it is an online updater for my USB 3G Modem.

My only guess here is since both the 3G modem and my tablet both use USB there is some sort of driver conflict. May there are intervals in which ouc.exe attempts to check for updates which then might just kick the tablet at that moment.

I will repost a report back here after a full week of testing.

Hope all those people with this issue just all happened to have 3G modems, and this this post somewhat helped.

I am now running the latest driver for the tablet, and latest display driver for my gcard. Bamboo dock is also up to date.

So for me, this was NOT a driver related problem.

My device is a Wacom Bamboo Create.

Please excuse any typos, I always try to type too fast.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an account just to share this.. this issue has plague me for months and I have searched through countless google pages and links to find a solution like an obsessive truth seeker. I finally fix it simply by using photoshop CC instead of CS5. But since there are numerous solutions but not all are working for everyone I wanted to share some of those which I found in my travels.

-Stopping the process called "ouc.exe" in the task bar
this process takes priority sometimes and screws up your lines, its an online updater for some modems so not everybody has it.

-Restarting the wacom driver.
-Reinstalling the wacom driver.
-Installing an older wacom driver.

-Disabling double click in your pen.
-Setting the double click speed as fast.

-This solution here: Go to, Wacom Properties > Tablet (on the top of the window) > double click the icon (usually your tablet's version) > Tablet Mode: Recognition
Read more: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/199564-Pressure-Sensitivity-Problem#ixzz4SUdNjgBB

-Remove your preference in the wacom tablet preference file utility.

Ringling has provided a backup preference for this issue, it didnt work for me but it might do for you
Institutional Technology: Inconsistent Pressure sensitivity for Wacom Tablets and pen

-Reinstalling Photoshop. Or for my case, installing another version of photoshop

-Using a different stylus

Hope this would help anyone even if a little bit in their search for a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so um...I do not know, if my wacom does not work or is the pencil. I have the problem that I do not even touch the surface of the tablet and the pencil is already drawing, I check out how much pressure it makes and it marks half of the pressure supported without even touching the surface. So any solution? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

while it's an old thread, I'm also posting a solution regarding something that @beckyds' mentions: the tablet registering clicks, even when the stylus is not in contact with the tablet. This could be a hardware related issue:

Sometimes grime gets stuck inside the tip canal and the switch doesn't read values properly (becomes sticky). I would start by removing the tip (it's replaceable after all) and try refitting it. Perhaps even blow some air in the canal hoping to remove any dust particle stuck there.

warning: proceed at your own peril

if this is no software issue, and if you are desperate enough (and don't mind the chance of permanently ruining your pen) you may try disassembling the stylus. It's not very difficult - part of the teardown can be seen in the following video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnhEqRj3YA0)

I've made a rough sketch of the various parts that can be removed, and what to be careful about when pulling them apart and putting them back together.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 07.02.31.png

The stylus in the picture is an intuos4 grip pen - but it's similar in other styluses.

A small correction on the image above: the spring, underneath the eraser cap, is actually, two small springs, one inside the other.

- here's a quick walkthrough:

a) remove the grip

b) pull and remove the side-button/switch

c1)pull the lower part of the barrel (to expose the front tip mechanism) or/and

c2)pull the upper part of the barrel (to expose the eraser mechanism) in this case, be careful: there are some very small springs that may easily get lost

it will slide and the internal mechanism (circuit board) will be exposed

d)remove the tip you wish to clean (carefully not to stress the coil)

e)now that the tip is removed, set the coil aside (it's still wired on the circuit board, don't stress it)

f) remove the rubbery base from it's socket

g) remove any particles/grime from the tip, the coil's inner canal, the rubbery base's canal, and the socket's canal.

h) put everything back together.

- make sure the wiring of the coil, is not loose, but placed in the surface canal of the rubbery base so that the wiring doesn't rub against the barrel when you put it back on.

- Also when putting the upper barrel (eraser's barrel) make sure it's aligned properly; there are some dents in the barrel that will allow the circuit board to fit right in.

Hope this is of use to somebody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kal, I am on my third Wacom pen going back about eighteen years.  Actually it's four pens because I gave my original Graphire away with a still working pen, but I have had two pens die on me since I moved to an Intuos 4.  I also own a Cintiq Companion 2, but I very rarely use it, preferring the Intuos.

Your pen assembly diagram is interesting, and nicely done.  Have a look at Google SketchUp with is free (SketchUp Make is free — SketchUp Pro isn't).  It's easy to use, and there are tons of nice video tutorials for it, and you could make a very nice 3D drawing of the pen.

In fact there is bound to be one ready made in the 3D Warehouse, but it won't be a detailed exploded diagram like yours.  Here you go.  I enjoy SketchUp almost as much as Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor.Dennis! Truly good point about using SketchUp! I admit I was lazy doing a more proper presentation - I was already wayyy past my bedtime looking for solution to another problem with my failing wacom when I bumped onto this thread and decided to share a bit of what I had discovered.

As a sidenote, I love SketchUp (free) too! And I've never used it for surfaces with curves; only for drawing buildings! This little project might be an excellent opportunity to learn this aspect of the program too! Then again I'm also studying Scott Robertson's excellent "How to Draw" book that is exploring technical drawing and I'm sure I read a page or two on exploding diagrams -  so this might be an excellent opportunity to make it into a proper exploding diagram, not some lazy doodle - but to be honest any of these will have to wait for some other time 😉

cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How can i do this with a wacom intuos s ctl-4100 pen please ive been having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had problems in Photoshop.  Sometimes in Illustrator I end up with a circle at the of a line.  When it happens I usually redraw the line.

I am using a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2.  I also noticed it is better for me to stay towards the middle of the screen and move my canvas around to where I can always be fairly centered.  This could be because I draw with my table at an angle.  Not sure. 

Hope to be getting the Wacom MobilStudio Pro soon.... and then I can comment on how it works as compared to the Cintiq Companion 2.

Which device are you using?  As that would help problem solving.  You can also get questions answered relating directly to Wacom products in the Wacom groups on Facebook. I know the admins quite well... also a great place to share your work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip Double Click Distance set to off from Wacom Tablet Properties solved the problem. Thanks a bunch, now I can work without that problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and it was Windows inc that f-ed up everything. This trick solved it for me!
https://hub.flippednormals.com/fixing-all-issues-with-your-wacom-tablet-and-photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I found this article about compatibility issues and making sure you give the correct permissions and it was estremely helpful. The permission issue might be what is causing the problem. Take a look and let us know if it helps!

https://machollywood.com/blogs/news/wacom-tablet-compatibility-with-mac-os-10-15-catalina

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem where my wacom pen pressure is max no matter what if my pen gets even a bit close to the tablet  it goes to max pen pressure not even if im pressing down on the tablet. this happened to me twice the first time i had a wacom driver update so i updated it while i slept next morning it worked randomly i tried everything i could (reinstall the drivers, reset pc, unplug and plug it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines