• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to selectively copy photo files

Engaged ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for some help in figuring out how to selectively copy files from a large structured archive (lots of file folders and about 80K photo) to a single destination folder.  The number of files to be copied is probably around 200.  I want to select the files to be copied based on a specific value that will apprear in some of the files' Keyword EXIF data.  I have a copy of ExifTool but it's been a long time since I've used any Unix-like command line stuff.  I think ExifTool can do this but am not sure.  Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read ExifTool documentation. Some here may know if ExifTool can do the job.,  I would not think that it would copy files its name shouts EXIF Tool to me fix up modify exif data.  Perhaps it can filter by exif data and copy files that meet the filter requirements.  However, Keywords I do not believe is part of EXIF Data that more like camera info, settings,  date, GPS etc. What would a camera know about keywording an image.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although named ExifTool, it can do a lot, including adding/removing/modifying many other types of metadata, renaming files and so much more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not really the forum for this question, however, this one is:

https://exiftool.org/forum/

I'd like to recommend Adobe Bridge, however, I'm not sure if it would fall over or not. It would certainly be slow...

That being said, what is the "specific value that will appear in some of the files' Keyword EXIF data"?

Keywords are generally be contained in the legacy IPTC:Keywords or the currently favoured XMP:Subject metadata.

To find out where the required metadata is, on the Mac you could use:

exiftool -a -G1 -s 'path/to file/here.tif' 

While on Windows you would swap the single straight quotes for double straight quotes:

exiftool -a -G1 -s "path/to file/here.tif" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following conditional ExifTool Mac OS command will recurse into all sub-folders under the top level input folder and find/list all files that contain a keyword of "search_term":

exiftool -if '$subject =~ /search_term/' -subject -r '/Users/user name/Desktop/myTopLevelFolder'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following conditional command will create a new directory/folder called "Copied-Files" and recurse into all sub-folders under the top level input folder and copy all files that contain a keyword of "search_term":

exiftool -if '$subject =~ /search_term/' -hardlink='/Users/user name/Desktop/Copied-Files/%f.%e' -r '/Users/user name/Desktop/myTopLevelFolder'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read ExifTool documentation? Some here may know whether ExifTool can carry out the responsibility., I would not believe that it would duplicate records its name yells EXIF Tool to me fix up adjust EXIF information. Maybe it can channel by EXIF information and duplicate documents that meet the channel prerequisites. Be that as it may, Keywords I don't accept is a piece of EXIF Data that more like camera information, settings, date, GPS and so forth. What might a camera think about keywording a picture?

Regards

[Link to spam website removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You For Sharing Such Great information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Bridge, the Find command should be able to isolate based on Keywords, you could then select all returned files and copy to a new folder:

bridge-find.png

That being said, I would not hold much hope if you do have 80K images!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines