• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Watercolor Artist Action Freezes and will not complete the action

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the watercolor action and all is fine. It runs but will not stop. I have never gotten the ending message. The screen freezes and I have to force close down photoshop in order to get control of the mouse. Then of course the photo I was using the action on is gone. I have tried five different photos.

I have consulted a tutor, removed and reinstalled photoshop, and the action several times.

Can anyone help? I was unable to get help from the photoshop support case I filed. I am out of options.

I have a new very good computer, the newest version of photoshop and a lightning-fast internet connection. What am I doing wrong?  

Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

"I installed the watercolor action and all is fine. It runs but will not stop."

Your second sentence invalidates your first sentence. All is not fine in Photoshop 2021 version 22.  I just downloaded the Watercolor Artist Action Set  Zip file. An Action set, a set of brushes, a set of patterns, and a guide pdf.  The Action set contains two actions. The firsts action is just a setup action that flattens all you work set the document to 8 bit rgb mode and adds an empty layer named focus for you t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

I was able to solve the problem. I did intensive research both with and without adobe support and found a way to see what graphic drivers photoshop is using. it is in the help/system info menu I have two, one Radeon and one Intel, then went to the websites for those drivers and downloaded the most recent update.  

Apparently, the routine updates from the operating systems do not always include the latest driver updates.

It works like a charm now and I used it quite a lot with no issues.

You may wan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I installed the watercolor action and all is fine. It runs but will not stop."

Your second sentence invalidates your first sentence. All is not fine in Photoshop 2021 version 22.  I just downloaded the Watercolor Artist Action Set  Zip file. An Action set, a set of brushes, a set of patterns, and a guide pdf.  The Action set contains two actions. The firsts action is just a setup action that flattens all you work set the document to 8 bit rgb mode and adds an empty layer named focus for you to use and set a selection for the second action to focus one.  The Second action is an extremely long action and will take a very long time to run.  While it run for a long time in Photoshop 21.2.4.  The Action hangs in Photoshop 2021 in one of the actions invert step Photoshop seem to go  into an infinite loop. So you have to terminate Photoshop.  Photoshop 2021 is a new version of Photoshop it has issues like all new versions of Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are correct. You described what I am experiencing better than I did. Thank you. I spent almost two hours with a support person after I wrote the post here. He told me my graphics card is not robust enough to allow the action to finish. My computer is a new lenovo yoga that is made for creative work. So I was surprised to hear that it could not handle the watercolor action. 

do you think that there will be an update to address the looping issue or do you think I need a new graphics card? Not sure what to do. 

thank you for your insights.

Rosalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think Adobe knows which display adapters and which display device driver versions Photoshop will work with.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  I uninstalled PS 2021 and installed  2020 version 21.2.4.  The action work flawlessly.  Hopefully they will have a fix soon.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem on my machine. A Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB Graphics.  I left the action running for an hour, but no change. It always hangs at the same point, as soon as it gets to 'mask1' layer. At which point you have to force quit Photoshop 2021. Hopefully, there is a fix to the Action coming soon! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve the problem. I did intensive research both with and without adobe support and found a way to see what graphic drivers photoshop is using. it is in the help/system info menu I have two, one Radeon and one Intel, then went to the websites for those drivers and downloaded the most recent update.  

Apparently, the routine updates from the operating systems do not always include the latest driver updates.

It works like a charm now and I used it quite a lot with no issues.

You may want to give updating your graphic drivers. I hope this helps.

Leigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have a Quadro K2200  and have the latest driver installed.  Adobe states the older GPU may be of limited user.  Apparently my 6 year old Quadro falls into Adobe changed support. The Actions work in Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4  where  Photoshop 2021 loops in an invert action step.  It would be good if Adobe published a list of supported adapters and device driver level required.  I'm sure Adobe is going to have to handle many complaints for requiring users to buy newer hardware. Or use older version of Photoshop that Adobe will drop support for.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rosalie, I tried to update the drivers on my iMac 2019 with the same Radeon / Intel combination like you but didn't find the website to update the drivers… can you help me out?

Best regards, Patric

Brainfire.ch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont understand. Did you update your own Graphics drivers or the ones listed in Photoshop System Info. For example one of them is Intel, are you saying you downloaded Intel's latest driver updates when you dont have Intel Graphic Card? I'm confused and trying to fix this issue because I love the Photoshop action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my Mac.  The action locks up at mask1 and I have to force quit.  It worked prior to installing Big Sur OS, so I doubt it is a hardware issue for me, but who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about that Big Sur made a difference. It is worth checking your graphics drivers to see if they have an update  for the new OS. 

Good luck. It is a great feature if you can get it to work.

Rosalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to a previour version of PS and the action works just fine.   I will look into the driver issue on my Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea.. I bet it will work.
Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  have the same problem. The action goes though part of the sequence and hangs. I have to control-alt-delete and lose the work to shut down photoshop. I have a souped up HP gaming computer which ordinarily handles photoshop's demands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to PS 2020 and it works fine on my Mac now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine had the same results when  I returned to Photoshop 2020. AND the Scribble action fails to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have learned is that are a few variables to look at. The update, you should not have to revert back to 2020 if all of the other issues are in place.

Check the graphic cards that your version of photoshop is using. Go to the help menu in photoshop and then into system info. That shows you everything you need to know about your version of photoshop and how it utilizes the components on your computer. In my case, it showed it was using my intel UHD 630 graphics card.

I then went to my device manager in windows 10 to confirm. Then I chose to go to intel to update my driver to be sure I got the most recent version. I found that sometimes the updates in the device manager are not always up to date.

Once I did that, I tried the Watercolor action again. It works perfectly. I am using photoshop 2021 with windows 10.

I know it sounds complicated, but it is not really hard at all. I am not a computer whiz by any means, and I had no trouble with this.

It is a simple matter of making sure your computer is updated and ready to handle the needs of the 2021 version of photoshop.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now solved the problem on my machine. I checked I had the latest graphics drivers per others in this thread, which I discovered I already do.  So updating graphics drivers was not a solution to the issue on my machine. Anyhow, after some digging around in the settings for Photoshop I fixed the problem as follows:

In Photoshop navigate to Photoshop > Preferences > Performance 

On the Right Hand Side you should see a Graphics Processor Settings area. Click Advanced which opens another window.

In this window, I set the Drawing Mode to "Normal" instead of "Advanced" pressed OK then shut the Preferences window.

The plugin now works without crashing, and without any hasssle upgrading hardware drivers or going back to legacy versions of Photoshop. Hope this helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidC,

Thank you for sharing this. This demonstrates that there are several things to look at in solving this issue. I do remember that finding that performance preference during my research. I should have mentioned it to the others on the thread but forgot I found it. 

Thank you for sharing. 

I think it is fantastic to see the member support in this community. 

Rosalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this. I had to fire with both barrels, re-installing the earliest available Photoshop edition (Photoshop 2020) and setting the graphics processor to "basic." The action then worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to use the action, at least once, with yesterday's Photoshop 2021 update. Hope the success streak continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have those options under Advanced... ?  There is no "Drawing Mode"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Advance GPU  different Drawing modes seem to have be removed in Photoshop 2021 changed GPU support. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines