• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Watercolor Artist Action Freezes and will not complete the action

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the watercolor action and all is fine. It runs but will not stop. I have never gotten the ending message. The screen freezes and I have to force close down photoshop in order to get control of the mouse. Then of course the photo I was using the action on is gone. I have tried five different photos.

I have consulted a tutor, removed and reinstalled photoshop, and the action several times.

Can anyone help? I was unable to get help from the photoshop support case I filed. I am out of options.

I have a new very good computer, the newest version of photoshop and a lightning-fast internet connection. What am I doing wrong?  

Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

"I installed the watercolor action and all is fine. It runs but will not stop."

Your second sentence invalidates your first sentence. All is not fine in Photoshop 2021 version 22.  I just downloaded the Watercolor Artist Action Set  Zip file. An Action set, a set of brushes, a set of patterns, and a guide pdf.  The Action set contains two actions. The firsts action is just a setup action that flattens all you work set the document to 8 bit rgb mode and adds an empty layer named focus for you t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

I was able to solve the problem. I did intensive research both with and without adobe support and found a way to see what graphic drivers photoshop is using. it is in the help/system info menu I have two, one Radeon and one Intel, then went to the websites for those drivers and downloaded the most recent update.  

Apparently, the routine updates from the operating systems do not always include the latest driver updates.

It works like a charm now and I used it quite a lot with no issues.

You may wan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had the same problem with my Win 10 PC. Newest Graficdriver for my 2080ti. I solved the problem by unchecking OpenCL (under advanced graphic-settings). Now the action runs.

Hope it helps a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem (action freezing, and needing to restart PS); Win 11 Photoshop 2022. I disabled the OpenCL and action ran without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling OpenCL also solved the problem for me on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with 

Radeon Pro 570 running Big Sur and Photoshop 2022. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything as well, but finally, I disabled the Open CL in the advanced menu of the Performance section and it worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that works, shouldn't have to do this, but . . . . it's a work around 🙂

with what adobe charges each moth, the software should work 100% - that's my opinion  . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, unchecking OpenCL was what solved it for me.

Preference > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings in the upper right corner > Advanced Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Thanks very much for your help. My Macbook Pro M2 Max was hanging part way throught the PS watercolour action. Solution Settings/Performance and uncheck box 'Use Graphics Processor' fixed the problem. Not sure why, but I'm now editing the finsihed watercolour and so far very impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi community and DavidC,

In version 25.0, the solution has been the "same", only that the "Drawing Mode" option is missing, so the solution is to temporarily disable "Use Graphics Processor" (in Preferences>Performance - Graphic Processor Settings) before using this action. This way it works perfectly.

I hope this helps some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little late to the party, but I remember reading somewhere in these forums that you could get the action to complete by disabling the graphics processor.

Photoshop > Preferences > Performance: deselect 'Use Graphics Processor'.

Not sure if that's good or bad, but it worked. When I was done I just went back and selected that box again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!! 🙂

Photoshop > Preferences > Performance: deselect 'Use Graphics Processor'. . . . that worked for me . . . thank you!

When PS 22.x first came out, I had the freezing problem running Watercolor Artist Action.

I went back to using PS 21.x . . . all was good in my PS world . . . . 

Then when the Apple MacBook M1 chip came out, I purchased one of these machines . . . . guess what? . . . the same thing again happens on the new machine with PS 22.x enhanced for M1 chip . . . . so back to the Apple Shop and got a refund.

Now I am working on my older MBP (Intel) and it works after deselecting 'Use Graphics Processor'. . . . 

So . . . the big question is . . . . will PS 22.x work well on an M1 MBP . . . will it stable and faster?

Gee . . . one would think that Adobe would fix this bug . . . . I have wasted so much time on this issue . . . does Adobe read these posts and action this issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same freezing problem with photoshop 22 on the M1 mac. Found this thread and tried the same: Disabling graphic card acceleration, and confirmed it worked as well for M1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe got a fix for this issue yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started to use this app over the last two days.  I have the M1 chip in a MacBook Air.  NOTHING worked to stop the freeze until I turned off the Graphic Processor.  I'd like to thank the contributors because Adobe clearly hasn't worked on this yet.  Very very frustrating and wasted time-consuming but thanks again.  At least I have my first very nice looking watercolor rendering.  If anyone hears that Adobe has found a fix for the M1 issue please post.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all fixed now by Adobe in latest update for PS - thank you Adobe 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines