• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happened to the Line tool, it is broken!

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linetool.png

I have Photoshop 22 that was auto-updated and now the Line tool is different.

There is no line thickness value anymore and the arrow values changed from percentage values to pixel values. When I draw a line all I can see is the arrow head, not the line itself.

BTW: "* Topics help users find your post. Please select one or more topics."

Not very helpful! I flashed the Post button... Sorry but Adobe's usability department was fired I guess at least two years ago.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

The line tool has changed. It used to draw a rectangle which caused confusion to some users. It now draws a line so no fill is applicable. You control the thickness with the stroke value. Just make sure that stroke is set to centre or outside. If set to inside it won't draw.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line tool has changed. It used to draw a rectangle which caused confusion to some users. It now draws a line so no fill is applicable. You control the thickness with the stroke value. Just make sure that stroke is set to centre or outside. If set to inside it won't draw.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seem like Adobe want to make Photoshop users into Indesign and XD users. There are a great number of un-happy Photoshop users.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or they could be responding to feedback and feature requests

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like they did with the Proportional Scaling thing? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a way yes. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. A switch would be nice of course but that doubles up on code to maintain and carry into future development.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @McDev:

FWIW, you can disable auto-update in the CC Desktop app.

To adjust the line weight, use Set Shape Stroke Style text box, to the right of Stroke color.

Not sure why you are only seeing the arrow head and not the line itself. I am using the same settings that I see in your screen shot. 

arrow.png

My 2¢: the Line tool finally works like have I always thought it should. I draw a lot of lines (in In, Ai and Ps) and have always struggled with lines in Photoshop. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you now have options to stroke Arrowheads inside,  or  stroke Arrowheads and line outline with single width stroke, or  stroke Arrowheads outside single width stroke  and  the line with double width stroke. You have a 50% chance of hitting your target.  When you do it will be without an arrow shaft.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“My 2¢: the Line tool finally works like have I always thought it should.”

It's closer, anyway @Barb Binder ! In addition to the three Adobe applications you mention, I've also been drawing lines in three Microsoft applications, PageMaker, Ventura Publisher, and QuarkXPress for over three decades. I was totally baffled by "lines" in Photoshop until a good friend explained that they were actually rectangles and that zooming in would show the pixels.

I'm still finding a few odd things, though, that make them work very differently from “the way I think it should”:

• All three of these lines have a red fill (which is supposed to color the arrowhead), but the fill does not show up unless the arrowhead is large enough. You can see in the middle one that the arrowhead is too small and the fill is suppressed.
  • In Illustrator and InDesign, you would use the Direct Selection tool to change the angle of the line. In PS, the Direct Selection tool reshapes the arrowhead and converts the shape from a Live Shape to a regular path. You have to use the Path Selection tool instead. I can get used to that with time, but it’s counter-intuitive.
  • I can't seem to add or subtract an arrowhead when I have an existing line selected. It only affects the next line I draw and leaves the current one as it is. Is anyone else seeing this?

jane-e_0-1604164655432.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the arrowheaded line tool path looks  like has has 8 control points its actually a closed path with 10 control points. There are two control point on top of two other control points. So with the Path selection tool you cab open up the 0 width arrow shaft.  But it is a pain to have to do that.  A line tool line shape is much harder to open up for you need to use the pen tool add tip, the path select tool,  and the control point convert tool.

Adobe need to consider providing a line weight option from 0 to 100.  That way they can have the current  bad behavior and the old line tool good behavior.  Just by changing line weight  from 1 to 100  to 0 to 100.  Lets Up have both.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS TERRIBLE! I use the line tool quite often for work. An 8px thick colored line with a 2px black stroke. The removal of this function is catastrophic. WTH am i supposed to do now? Why would Adobe break this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this change is terrible and makes the line tool very complicated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davidg37413998 

What version of Photoshop are you using?

Adobe has restored the previous behavior in 22.3 allowing you to draw a pixel line which is really a rectangle in addition to using the new vector version that behaves like all other drawing software.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe did not restore the line tool in 22.3.  Adobe made it a weird stripping tool in 22.3.  Adobe need to limit the line weight  to a pixel range  of 0px to 100px  so they can have the line path they seem to want Photoshop to be able to do. The old line tool has line weight range 1 to 100px.  Adobe also need to make the arrowheads settings relative to line weight a range  like 1x to 5x line weight.  The old line tool Arrowheads settings were relative to line weight.

With the current crazy stripping tool. If you  limit yourself to using line weight  0 to 100 and keep resetting arrowhead settings to be relative to the line weight you used.   You can create line strips with arrow heads. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines