• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happens when I drag in another image?

Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 5.33.22 PM.jpg

 What has PS22.3 created? I only want a pixel image layer. How do I stop this? I appologize if you have told me before.

Trying to Live Simply

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

It looks like the either was converted to a Smart Object when it was imported or it was a Smart Object before. A Smart Object is just a container that allows you to edit the image, and resize it up or down with losing it's original quality. 

If you want to change a Smart Object to a layer, from the side menu of the Layers Panel (three little lines--sometimes called the hamburger menu), choose Convert to layer. See below:

Convert to layer.png

Let us know if that takes care of the issue!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Michelle. Yes, it did change to a smart object when dragging into my original image. Is there a way to keep this from happening? 

Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PhotoBoy wrote:\

"What happens when I drag in another image?"

You did not say where you are dragging the image from. Creating a Smart Object is expected behavior when you drag from Finder or Bridge, for example, but not when you drag from one Photoshop document to another.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I drug from the finder. Is there no way to stop this from happening?

Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @PhotoBoy 

That's what I thought happened. As far as I know, you can't stop that behavior. Try this:

• Open both images in Photoshop first
  • Go to Window > Arrange > Tile
  • Drag one image into the other with the Move tool
  • Close the unneeded file
  • Go to Window > Arrange > Consolidate to put the one window back properly

Alternatively, convert the SO to a layer in the Layers panel menu.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a nuisance. Thank you for your responses, folk's. I don't work w smart objects, such a waste of my time. Your recommendations are appreciated.

John

Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome @PhotoBoy 

I usually open all the images from Finder at the same time with a right-click. You can drag one image to another by dragging to the title bar of the second, then down again (Shift to center it), but that takes practice for most folks to get it right.

Here the forum for feature requests for the product developers if you want to tell Adobe that you want the option of SO or pixels with drag and drop from Finder: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I tried to sign in to add feedback but it doesnt recognize my adobe forum signin.

Sent from John R’s iPad Pro
Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines