• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What happens with Vector graphics that come from Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on some artwork pieces that use text as predominate shapes in the work. I decided to try and work on these in Illustrator as I could affect the letter shapes more and they remain vector graphics.

However I really struggle with resizing wotk to a different print size or ttiling an image for repetition inIllustrator.  If I place the image as a linked or embedded, it remains a smart object and is still a vector graphic, right?  What happens if I start to scale it or otherwise adjust? Is it converted to a raster image

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help you understand what is being done.  All smarts object are not vector smart objects. Those that are vector smart object have Vector file object like .svg and .ai files.  There are no vector in Photoshop for these layers. Those object are create and update using vector applications like Adobe Illustrator.  Normally smart object layers are resize scaled via Interpolation.    The exceptions are vector smart object those the smart object have vector file object these are processed  using vector graph to render pixels for the scaled layer size. There are no vector in Photoshop for vector smart object. The vectors are in the object vector image file. The .svg or .ai file.  Photoshop does not support vector image files formats. Photoshop is a pixel editor with some vector tools. Shape layers and text layers are vector layers.  Photoshop can export vector .svg file for a shape layers. Only vector smart object layers and vector photoshop layer are scaled via vector graphics. You can Import vector file into Photoshop. However, they will be imported as a single raster layer there no vector in Photoshop for the imported image the layer is not a vector layer its an normal raster layer

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this great explanation.

So, if I make a file in Illustrator, and then in Photoshop, I "place linked" and select that .ai file, it is imported as avector smart object- correct?  So then if I scale that layer, it scales as vector graphic, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes is the simple answer. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines