• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best editing technique to whiten a dog's stained mouth

New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to photoshop cc.  I would like to whiten a stained beard around a dog's mouth.  I have tried painting with a whiter color but it does not look natural.  I appreciate any answers and advice.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

I would do it in three stages (note a higher resolution image would have been better to demonstrate but hopefully you get the idea)

1. Make the image a smart object and use the camera raw filter to correct the underexposure and increase the satruration

2. Add a local adjustment brush in camera raw filter and increase the exposure in the shadows and reduce saturation around the mouth

3. Add a new layer and clone some of the whiter fur around the mouth. Set the blending mode of this new layer to lumi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say without seeing the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April Practice-2930Heathcliff.jpg

Here he is.  His mouth looks darker in the picture than it actually is.  I am not sure what the best tool and technique are to lighten.  Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do it in three stages (note a higher resolution image would have been better to demonstrate but hopefully you get the idea)

1. Make the image a smart object and use the camera raw filter to correct the underexposure and increase the satruration

2. Add a local adjustment brush in camera raw filter and increase the exposure in the shadows and reduce saturation around the mouth

3. Add a new layer and clone some of the whiter fur around the mouth. Set the blending mode of this new layer to luminosity and turn the opacity down till it looks right

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave-

Thank you so much for the detailed advice!  I did have to reduce the photo in order to post here, but do have the raw original in Lightroom.

I will follow your instructions and keep them for future use.  I have two OES and primarily ordered Photoshop CC in order to work with pictures of both of them, and I have a lot to learn.

This absolutely helps--again Thank you!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome Karen.

If you are using Lightroom you can do those first two steps on the raw image before using Ctrl+E to Edit the result in Photoshop and complete step 3.

Have a go and shout out if you get stuck

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again Dave.  That too is valuable info--

I will have time to work on this project this evening.  Hopefully I won't get stuck --but if I do I will come back and ask questions.  I truly appreciate your taking your time to answer.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...That is very valuable information...I will try to make that type of projects for my [link removed] I will edit my dog's picture..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have tried your methods but tthe cloning of fur does not look natural. It looks like patches of round fur. What should i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the image and your result so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clone onto a separate layer and make sure you blend the cloned fur with the natural fur using a soft brush and mask. Make sure you used the luminosity blend mode (as shown above). Also make sure your clone stamp is rotated to match the lie of the existing fur.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines