• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the deal with Photoshop no longer supporting .exr files.... seriously?

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just noticed that photoshop is no longer supporting 'some .exr' files.

When you open the files, and error message pops up saying "could not open becuase of a program error".

I started looking into the forums.There are multiple threads about it. The common solution seems to be 'you need to download a third party plugin called 'EXR-IO'.

I was not happy with this 'solution', so i contacted adobe support direct.They logged into my machine, changed a few preferences, clicked a few more buttons, and came to the conclusion that 'there is no solution'.

He said ".exr file formats are not supported by the Photoshop application now".

Seriously?

Considering how much we spend on Adobe CC subscriptions.... surely adobe can commit some time to maintain support for certain file format that has been supported for years, rather than just give up. To make things more infuriating, they don't even let us know that they have given up. They would rather let the consumer troubleshoot and look for answers online!!!!

Come on Adobe. Maybe yoru executives can cut back on a few steak lunches, and feed the profits into support and maintenence of the software.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using

What is the exact Photoshiop Version as indicated by Help>System Info from within photoshop?

You can reportt the issue over here where adobe employyees hang out.

They may want you to provide examples of the files that throw the error.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.0.0 20201006.r.35 2020/10/06: 4587a1caa63 x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded a sample .exr file and it opens fine with Photoshop version 22.0, the error message that you're seeing could be related to this

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

2020-11-11 08_08_37-sample_1920×1280.exr @ 66.7% (RGB_32_).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ged.

The absurd thing about all of this, the spport guy said "Photoshop will still open some, but not all of the .exr files".

I have 5 passes for this render. 3 exr files will open. 2 will not.

Bad luck if the exr files you want don't open!!!   Makes no sense to me.

I have already tried most of the 'workarounds' 

1. System requirements.

My computer is 2 months old, and it is a beast. If this computer can't open files, then good luck to everyone else.

2. Graphics card is up to date.

3. Photoshop preferences. I have already manually removed settings folder, and a new one has been recreated as default. no success.

4. Disable GPU. Already tried this

5. Revert to a previous photoshop version.... Yeah. umm.... thanks adobe. I'll see if i can find my original PS4.0 box!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines