• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the difference betweeen Photoshop 2020 and Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have creative cloud, why do I have 2 photoshops CC and 2020  which should I use?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Photoshop CC was the original version of Photoshop that came out after the CS versions were out. After the introduction of CC's, they started distinguishing versions by release year. 2020 is far more recent than CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC was the original version of Photoshop that came out after the CS versions were out. After the introduction of CC's, they started distinguishing versions by release year. 2020 is far more recent than CC

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the latest version if it works well for you. You can delete the others, if 2020 work well. They just dropped the CC in the name. No real change other than a new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older versions can be useful if you need a deprecated feature or plugin that's no longer supported.  It's also good to have in the event that the upgrade doesn't work so well for you (it happens).  The point is, you have choices. 

• You can turn off automatic updates from your CC Desktop App and upgrade manually when you're ready. 
  • You can delete old versions when you upgrade.
  • Or you can keep old versions when you upgrade.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what I am seeing is I have old and new versions of Photoshop. It is odd that I still get updates for the CC version I started using, when  I guess I should delete all but the newest Photoshop 2020 and get used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>So what I am seeing is I have old and new versions of Photoshop.

A few years ago, Adobe used to remove old versions and leave you with just the newest version. That caused an outcry from people who were not ready to upgrade or needed older versions for old plug-ins and other reasons.

Now Adobe installs new versions side by side with older versions and leave it up to the user to decide when to uninstall older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me, I did an Update All and now I have 2 separate versions of Photoshop on my machine. 

MAC OS 13.5.2  – Photoshop v 24.7.1 & Photoshop v 25.0, no other title, and one is not Lightroom, they both open and I can work in either one.  So, which one do I use, this is the MOST confusing thing I've ever seen a seasoned software developer release to users!  I'm Assuming to use the 2024 v 25.0 and uninstall the other?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can remove the old version by hitting the uninstall button in Creative Cloud Desktop app.

I typically keep my old versions until I'm certain that I'll never need them again.

Sometimes updates interfere with older plugins and/or workflows.  I like to err on the side of caution before I commit to removal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's a good idea. This is the first time something like this has happened on my end and I was both shocked and confused.  Personally, I think AI has begun the take-over at Adobe and they might be unaware, lol! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not AI.  It's based on selected choices in your Creative Cloud Preference Settings. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke, ha-ha.  

I've uninstalled the older version which I knew how to do, I don't see settings that stop CC or myself from installing the same app twice (or older versions) which is probably why this happened. I believe a while back I set all my Adobe apps to Keep Settings & Preferences + Remove Older Versions, however, that setting might have been left unchecked from a recent update to CC itself.  🤔

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Photoshop 2020 is a specific version of Adobe Photoshop which was released in 2020 where Photoshop CC, where CC stands for creative cloud, is the subscription base version that gives you access to the latest version of Adobe Photoshop.

One main difference between both of them is Photoshop 2020 is a standalone version with one time purchase, while Photoshop CC will be available after a subscription service.

Thanks

Software Developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gulshan212 That's incorrect and misleading. You must be confusing the legitimate Photoshop with the illegal pirated versions out there.

Read Nancy's posts again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Gulshan212,

I think you're confusing ELEMENTS with Photoshop. 

PS & PR Elements are standalone software that can be purchased for under $100.  They're aimed at consumer-level users & hobbyists who don't need all the bells & whistles available in pro-level Photoshop or Premiere Pro.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines