• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is wrong with Photoshop? So buggy in the last few months.

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really having problems with 16bit files. In the last update 22.2 some problems are solved like Liquify (didn't save the changes). After converting a layer into a smart object, performing liquify zooming is only giving problems.

Sometimes it is just imposible to select a part using the rectangular marquee tool. I'm using the latest Windows version, patches and latest nvidia drivers.

Switching of "use graphic processor" doesn't help. 

Only restarting Photoshop solves the problem temporarely. 

Also saving large PSB files (8GB and more) take ages (minutes in a 3000MB/Sec SSD) when "compressed" files is activated. It seems the compressing does not use all processor kernels. 

For now I'm working uncompressed and saving only takes max 10 seconds (14GB files). After finishing I select "compress" in preferences and then it takes ages to save.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You say you are using the "latest" Nvidia drivers. Are those the Studio drivers which are better tested with applications like Photoshop than teh game ready drivers. Also when you install the drivers , click advanced and check "Clean Install". That ensures remnants of the old drivers are not carried forward.

Compression vs speed has always been a trade off. Personally I always save uncompressed. Disk space is cheap, my time is not.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried several versions, also switching to the studio version and did a clean install. There are still bugs inside Photoshop. Basic things like "healing" I use everyday were suddenly broken and fixed after several weeks. The problem with wacom tablets,...  No pen pressure for weeks. The official solution by adobe is to use an older Photoshop folder until it gets fixed. There is still something wrong with smart layers and 16 bit. That is for sure. Liquify is still acting strange.

Concerning disk space. I certainly do not agree that disk space is cheap. It has become much cheaper but I have a NAS with 26TB netto (4 x10TB disks). These 24/7 NAS drives cost €350 Euro each! 

My working disk is a 2TB SSD with a writing speed of 3000MB/sec. (€350 Euro).

I am editing 99 Photos for Posters at the moment (still 3 to go). Everything is compressed to save space.

Total disk space used at the moment is 500GB! For 1 project! If I would save uncompressed it would be around 900GB! 

(350 Euro x 4 = 1400 Euro) That is 54 Euro for 1 TB.

So it's 27 Euro or 48,6 Euro

Yes, I agree waiting costs money but at the end of the process you still need to save compressed to save space! it's not only money but HD space too. I keep all my files. I don't flatten layers. I want my files as small as possible.

If these bugs would not be there I would save time because I would not have to restart photoshop now and then! And that costs a lot more money than disk space.

Joeri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines