• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What method makes white in layer transparent ?

Participant ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6
I am editing a channel by copy pasting it into layer, using black or white to edit the channel, then copying it back out to channel. I need it as black /white as I fly the b/w artwork check the effect on my aircraft for a sim, edit a bit more etc. However having done that for each of the two colours they will be for, I now am editing the two channels together in 2 layers to sort out the relationships between the two, but the one channels white hides all underneath, I need to make the white transparent. How can I make the white vanish, which layer setting perhaps ? I want to be able to paint with white and as I paint into the black that just painted goes transparent. Then when I go to 'normal' the whites appear and can fly it and I have an artwork for copying back to channels.

I do know how to work on channels in channels, and quick mask etc, but in this task I need to do it this way.

Bottom line, how does one make white go transparent, I know what I am doing, just need that !

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which color is transparent is depent on the program it is going to go into.

However you could just invert the image work on it, then invert it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I need the white to go transparent whilst it is as a layer in photoshop, not in the flight sim.

invert simply makes white go black and vice versa, I need the black as black, or if I apply an adjustment layer I can make it go approx the colour in sim, useful for visualising what I am doing., and I can paint on that layer in black and it turns to that colour. Just need somehow to make the white of that layer transparent.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I am understanding you, set the upper layer to multiply blend mode (or darken/linear burn/darker color), select all and copy merged, then paste into the channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines