• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What method to smooth out graduation imperfections in brushed soft edge after editing shape ?

Participant ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6

try this, with black, brush set to 10px, hardness 0, draw a slightly wavy line, select half of it move it further along by 5 pixels, now repair the gap ! Maybe a pencil tool set to 1px and opacity 2.

Having used a value of 10px brush size and 0 hardness to create a soft edge for an aircraft camouflage pattern in black/white to use as a channel, (flight sim skinning) I find myself having to move by a few pixels some parts of the shapes to get the angled demarcation edges to align perfectly when the skin is mapped onto the aircraft as separate panels. If I draw a selection area around the bit that needs moving, then make the move, the formerly even pattern of the soft edge with shades of grey from 1% to 99% gets upset, repair it with a pencil set to 1 pixels and 2% opacity trying to recreate the transitions is not easy.

Wish I could run a tool over the soft edge and see the evenly stepped shades of grey transition restored.

What is there I could use ?

Now try this, draw another line to hit that first one at a sloping angle so you get a pointed acute angled corner, now edit the corner to have the same margin of grey as the straight parts. I end up using eraser set to 2% and lots of careful clicking of mouse, until it looks right.

What is best way ?

Cheers

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the clone stamp tool to fill the gap - remember the stamp can be rotated.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Unfortunately that wont do it, magnified up and taking just one row of the featherd pixels (of which lets say there are 4 side by side) before cutting and moving the painted line fwds by 5 pixels, lets say we have 20 pixels in that row starting with 10% of black, going 10 14 18 22 26 30 34 38 42 46 50 54 58 62 66 70 74 78 82 86, that tool would take several (as one cannot accurately set it to select 5) and place them further along the row, so we might get

10 14 18 22 26 30 54 58 62 66 70 74 34 38 42 46 50 54 58 62 66 70 74 78 82 86 placing a darker section amidst the existing and into the gap.

In other words if a blend runs over a distance of 20 pixels and its now got to run over 25pixels length, the % progression needs to be with lesser steps, taking our example 10 to 86 in 4% steps would now need to perhaps be in 3% steps. The clone stamp tool just copies in 4% steps which stick out like a sore thumb.

It needs a tool that reblends the grey transitions in the feathered edge into evenly incremented steps to take up their new distance/location.

Cheers.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines