• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What year? Can Photoshop、 allow users to put their settings elsewhere?

Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What year? Can Photoshop, InDesign and illustrator allow users to put their setting data elsewhere?

Each of my software has its own favorite settings, but now they are all in the installation path.

If you reload the software or the system and you don't make a backup, you will lose your setup data.

Even if you back up the setup data of the software, it's very troublesome to recover the data.

Just like other software, it would be nice to store all the user data in other places and allow the software to refer to these locations!

Come on, Adobe's future

My English is not very good. I hope someone can reflect it to adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dublove wrote:

I hope someone can reflect it to adobe.

If you want to tell Adobe, you can do that here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings and preferences are all stored in your user account, not the program files. They are version specific and each version has its own main preferences folder in your user account.

All these preference folders and files are created from scratch as you start using the application. Deleting it all will return the application to fresh factory defaults.

There is an option to migrate preferences when updating. While convenient, I would actually advise against that. I never do it. Settings may not mean exactly the same thing in the new version. And even if they do, the context may be different.

But most importantly, preferences are prone to corruption because they are rewritten in their entirety every time you exit the application. Small errors tend to accumulate. This is in stark contrast to program files, which are read-only.

The preferences contain everything relating to the configuration of the application, not just your own (conscious) preferences. Corruption can cause erratic, inexplicable and odd behavior.

So I always prefer to start a new version with clean sheets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many other softwares already use the method of userdate.

You can save the userdate to another location.

They work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding to what Dag said: This is why people who sometimes have problems with Photoshop usually clear it up by simply resetting their preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines