• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I close files, how can stop the program from asking me if I want to close other the open files?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC 2019, when I close files, how can stop the program from asking me if i want to close other files?

This very annoying problem began recently.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, this has always been a PS feature if any file hasn't been saved. Not new to 2019. You can do a close all, and then check the box to apply do not save to all files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds more like you closed Photoshop not an open document.  If you do that any open document that has  unsaved changes Photoshop will give you an opportunity to save each changed unsaved documents before closing down.  Document that have no unsaved changes will be closed without any saving prompt.  Photoshop is not a file editor  Photoshop  edits Image documents.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens that only the front document is visible. Other open documents may be hidden and you don't see them until you click the Photoshop icon in the taskbar, then they come up.

In other words, the message actually means what it says. You do have other open documents.

I can't recall when I started seeing this behavior, but it's a long time ago. No idea if it's bug or design. I'm not all that bothered by it, just as long as I remember that there may still be open, unsaved documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will only do that with unsaved documents.  Save them before shut-down and you wan't get the warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys.

This problem has been happening recently when I close files (by clicking the tiny "x" in the highlighted title of the top, open file, or at the top of the screen choosing File > Close from the menu. 

I'm not trying to quit Photoshop; I don't go at the top of the screen and choosing Photoshop CC > Quit Photoshop, or pressing Command Q.

I think the anomaly began after I 'upgraded' from CC 2017 to CC 2019.  (This is an example of why I'm leery about 'upgrades'.)

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, this is probably a different thing. If you're saving a file to a format that does not support all the file properties, typically jpeg, Photoshop will save out a copy.

It means that the original file, all properties intact, is still open and ready to be saved in full. If you dismiss that, your file properties (like layers, masks, 16 bit depth and so on), are gone forever. But you get one more chance. Photoshop tries to save you from yourself, so to speak.

You should take that warning seriously. It means what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, D.

But why can't I just close one file and have that action be independent of other savings and closings?

Why – after saving and closing one file – do I see every time a series of prompts asking me one by one if I want to save the other file or files that are open?

This isn't supposed to happen because I'm just trying to close one file – not quit Photoshop.

Yet Photoshop is acting as if I've asked it to quit the program.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot marking the exact X button that you are pressing. Perhaps these are tabbed windows, not independent floating windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave!

They are tabbed windows.

I don't know why tabbing would cause this.

Tabbing must be the reason for this frustration, which has seemed to be an illogical anomaly to me.

And tabbing has also been frustrating me by causing my toolbar to keep on vanishing.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for clarification,  you're hitting the little "x" on the tab and not in the top left corner of the app?   Have you double checked to make sure when you saved,  you didn't have something that forced you to save as a copy (i.e. trying to save something with multiple layers into a JPG without flattening it)?   As Stephen said,  please post a screenshot showing what you're pressing.  That would help immensely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave.

I'll have to wait till the scenario occurs again before I can make a screen snapshot. 

In the meantime I'll experiment with your suggestions.

Yes, I've been clicking the "x" on the top tab the tabbed row of files when the files are tabbed. 

I'm not aware of an "x" that would quit Photoshop; to quit Photoshop, I'm only aware of the top menu Photoshop CC > Quit Photoshop, or Command Q (or Force Quitting from the Apple menu) and I haven't been doing any of those things to try to close my files in this scenario.

I do often save TIFFs as JPEGs without flattening manually first, because saving TIFFs as JPEGs automatically flattens the files.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Tony+Whitehall  wrote

I do often save TIFFs as JPEGs without flattening manually first, because saving TIFFs as JPEGs automatically flattens the files.

Yes, it does, but you will still get a prompt to save the layered original, in addition to the jpeg copy. Just so we're clear on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this same problem using non-tabbed Windows. When all I need to do is save a JPG and I have to click multiple times to close hundreds of files. Just sayin' - this "feature" is unnecessary especially in production when I am doing this many hundreds of times and gets very tiring. Maybe have an interface option where we can turn this useless feature off? As an experienced user of Photoshop, I know when I need to save my files and when not to. I don't need the automatic prompt adding a ton of extra work when it's not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been wanting to know this too especially when several files are created as "new documents".  Never found anything in Photoshop CC settings.  I need a solution more than ever now because Substance Painter (Adobe) has the ability to export 100's of maps to Photoshop and I need to close them out after I run a script to collapse all the open files to a new file.  And there isn't a "okay to all or close all feature" in photoshop.  In windows 10 it has that feature but photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines