• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I updated photoshop, I lost all my recent files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried downloading previous versions too. But I lost all the files that I was working on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where were your files stored? Locally or as cloud documents? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were saved locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the files no longer show in the Recent list or that they are no longer in the folder on your computer where you saved them?

Are you on Mac or Windows, and where (exactly) were you saving them?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  can access the saved files but I cannot see the files I was working on recently. I lost them with the update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kavyaak 

When you start reopening the files that you saved and can still access, then they will appear in the Recent list again. It's not automatic. 

You didn't answer the question about Mac or Windows. If you are on Mac, use Spotlight to find:

• files ending with .psd
    and
  • files after a specific date, i.e., 1/1/2020

This will show all recent .PSDs.

If I misinterpreted, please clarify.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry my bad. The files weren't saved. They were shown on recents and I lost all the files that I was working on. Also, I have windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@kavyaak wrote:

The files weren't saved. 

Earlier you said the files were saved locally. Now you are saying they weren't saved. Please clarify.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent files is just a quick convenience for files you have worked on recently, as in "yesterday". It's just so you can pick up where you left off, without having to open your file browser.

The list is cleared with a new Photoshop version, when you reset preferences etc.

You haven't lost anything, your files are wherever you saved them on disk. Pay attention to where you save. Use a proper file browser to keep track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So is there any way I can get back the files I was working in? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes: open your file browser (Windows Explorer or Mac Finder) and find them. Use Windows or MacOS to search. They will be there, somewhere. Your images aren't "in" Photoshop. You can wipe Photoshop completely from your system and the images will still be wherever they were saved.

Take this as a lesson to always make a note of where you save things. You choose where to save in the Save As dialog. Set up a logical folder structrure so that you can find it later.

Hint: if you're on Windows, image files default to the Documents > Pictures folder, if you haven't changed anything. So you can start looking there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines