• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When writing, when I hit return, text disappears. Can anyone help?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I've noticed that when I'm writing in Photoshop, when I hit return, the text after I hit return, disappears. 
I was using PS-2018, but thought an upgrade to 2020 would help fix it, but no, the problem persists. 
I've noticed the text appears on the text layer on the layer stack but not on the image itself. 
I've attached an image of the issue. I wrote out the text on one line for this test, then placed the cursor infront of the second word, and hit return. The second word then disappeared. If I then hit backspace, it reappears on the same line. I've tried adjusting the line spacing etc on the character panel, and other bits, but so far I've not found a fix. 

I really need this to work as I use it for my work. 
I'm using a windows 10 system. 

Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Leading is a character setting and your text needs to be selected. Typically leading (as defined by Gutenberg) is typesize + 2, but all caps can take a smaller number, as there are no descenders.

The next thing to try is to reset your Type tool. Right-click the Type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and choose Reset Tool.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, my text also disappears when I click to centre align the text, but reappears when I left or right align it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try:

• Your text is 70/10. Select the text with the Type tool and change the leading from 10 to 70 as a starting place for all caps, and then adjust.
  • If you dragged before typing to make a text frame, it may be too small. Click an insertion point in the text and resize the frame taller or wider if necessary.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've tried changind the leading, but it makes no difference. 
Also no, it's not a text frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leading is a character setting and your text needs to be selected. Typically leading (as defined by Gutenberg) is typesize + 2, but all caps can take a smaller number, as there are no descenders.

The next thing to try is to reset your Type tool. Right-click the Type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and choose Reset Tool.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah-ha! That did it. Reseting the tool fixed the issue. 
Thank you. I was pulling my hair out over this.   🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @Andrew Dobell. I'm so glad it's working now. 🙂

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Character panel (Windows > Character) and check the amount of leading; it may be far too much and making the second line disappear from the text frame, when you hit return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. But no, I've tried that. Makes no difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened Photoshop CC that I still have, and don't have this problem on there. So it's something to do with the new versions of PS. Some setting or something I'm guessing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines