Highlighted

Where are my blacks in CMYK?

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have nearly no experience working with CMYK.

I have my artwork. Made in RGB. COnverted to CMYK. It looks dull and foggy.

What would be the first thing to do? Open a curve or add curve adjustment layer.

The thing is, I cant get my blacks this way! What is that I dont understand? WHy by clipping tones with curve, i am not getting my black in CMYK? It gets darker only to some point (dark grey at best) and goes no further.

Please let me know what I am missing here.
Thanks,
Artur

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Where are my blacks in CMYK?

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have nearly no experience working with CMYK.

I have my artwork. Made in RGB. COnverted to CMYK. It looks dull and foggy.

What would be the first thing to do? Open a curve or add curve adjustment layer.

The thing is, I cant get my blacks this way! What is that I dont understand? WHy by clipping tones with curve, i am not getting my black in CMYK? It gets darker only to some point (dark grey at best) and goes no further.

Please let me know what I am missing here.
Thanks,
Artur

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't convert to CMYK, keep in RGB color mode and, probably for most purposes, choose sRGB color space.

(Note the RGB colour gamut is far larger than CMYK, so colours like bright greens and bright oranges will always be duller in CMYK)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 4
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what @Derek Cross said, don't convert back to RBG (sic), as it won't bring the colors back. Hopefully, you converted on a copy and still have the original and can use that. Tell us why you thought you needed to convert and we'll help you there.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 3
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to bring blacks in CMYK for printing? When I converted RGB to CMYK its super dull and curves dont work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, don't convert to CMYK.

Are you printing to your own desk-top printer, a photo bureax or using them in a desk-top publishing application (such as InDesign) for commercial litho printing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to deliver it in CMYK for commercial printing purposes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't understand. CMYK is strictly for commercial offset presses (books, magazines etc. in large print runs). The only time you need to work in CMYK, is if you're preparing press-ready material that will go straight to press.

For anything else, work in RGB. Inkjet printers are RGB devices that expect RGB data. These printers have more than four inks, so a 4-ink separation makes no sense anyway.

Go back to your RGB originals.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 4
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when going to press, the conversion should be done on export, as described in this article from InDesign Secrets:

https://indesignsecrets.com/import-rgb-images-indesign-convert-cmyk-export.php .

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 2
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So everything for printing is prepared in RGB and converted at the very end? Is that the common practise?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is what I need it for.

Need to prepare artworks for commercial printing. Some of them art made in RGB, some in CMYK. I can't get my blacks in CMYK though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep saying you »converted to CMYK« but you don’t seem to mention which CMYK. 

So: Which CMYK Space did you convert to and what was the image’s original RGB Color Cpace? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 2
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

Does the artwork feature fine black linework ot black type? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, it does feature black lines and black fonts.

I tried many color spaces. For instance: Coated FOGRA39.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2020 0
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe made profile [created from the ECI characterisation data] called 'Coated FOGRA 39' has the ability to print good blacks with no issues.

If a file contains black lines and text and is in RGB then there is no "K", no actual black there, just density, let's say 0,0,0 RGB.

If you convert that RGB file to CMYK then the areas that were 0,0,0 RGB will be 4 colour. Not pure K. 

Is that what you are seeing as a problem? 

If so, its best to add black lines and text after you converted to CMYK.

Or is it that images with good black tones are no longer showing that black density when converted to CMYK? 

If the latter it could be due to the difference between screen black at 0,0,0 and predicted print black - ink on paper is nowhere near as black as 0,0,0 appears to be on a screen.

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0