• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why 2 versions of Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a computer based [not cloud based] subscription to Photoshop and Lightroom.  When the cloud update program on my computer updates Photoshop, it shows that TWO versions of Photoshop are on my computer and are being updated.  Why is this?  Should anything be done about it?  If so, what should be done?  How should it be done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Evidently, you have 2 separate versions of Photoshop CC installed side-by-side, the previous version (20x) and the latest version (21x). 

If you don't need both, uninstall the previous one from your Creative Cloud Desktop App. 

Click the 3 dots icon next to Photoshop and select Uninstall from the drop-list.  See screenshot.

CC Desktop app, More actions menuCC Desktop app, More actions menu

If you don't like automatic updates, turn them off in your Creative Cloud Desktop settings. See screenshot.

image.png

Post back if you need m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have more than one version of CC programs installed, ie: Photoshop 2019 and Photoshop 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Get Started forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no such thing as "Cloud-based" Photoshop.  Creative Cloud software is downloaded and installed on your computer hard drive the same as it always has.  The only difference is the payment and distribution model. You pay monthly or annually now.  And when you stop paying, the software stops working.

You obviously have more on your hard drive than you realize.  Use your operating system to remove non-essential programs.

===========
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.  I do not know all of the magic words or I could communicate better, if it is ok to say it that way.  Only one hard drive.  Several days ago, the updating program showed 20.0.8 being updated to 20.0.9 AND 21.1 also being updated.  Both have been updated since.  Also, the updater program was changed so that it works automatically – which means that I am not as aware of what it is doing.  I am, however, confused about the two version numbers and do not know what this means.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently, you have 2 separate versions of Photoshop CC installed side-by-side, the previous version (20x) and the latest version (21x). 

If you don't need both, uninstall the previous one from your Creative Cloud Desktop App. 

Click the 3 dots icon next to Photoshop and select Uninstall from the drop-list.  See screenshot.

CC Desktop app, More actions menuCC Desktop app, More actions menu

If you don't like automatic updates, turn them off in your Creative Cloud Desktop settings. See screenshot.

image.png

Post back if you need more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was helpful.  Creative Cloud showed that I had 3 versions of Photoshop and 2 versions of Bridge.  I do not know how this happened as the Creative Cloud was supposed to be supervising the updates.  At this point, the question becomes:  How can this problem be prevented from recurring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem.  The majority of product users want to keep older versions.  You decide how many versions to keep.

Keep in mind that accessing pre-2019 versions is no longer possible unless you have them installed on your system.  Once removed, it's almost impossible to get them back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat. Not just Photoshop, but several other Adobe programs with multiple installations.
I suppose the solution is once a year, double-check there's only one version installed. Uninstalling the old versions saved over 10 gb of space!

The reply stating "the majority of product users want to keep older versions" I think is exaggerating. While there may be a great many who like the older versions (for a variety of reason), I certainly would be hesitant to say it's the majority, especially since moving to the affordable subscription model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling the old versions saved over 10 gb of space!

=========

@WaltDittrich,

If space is an issue, get a bigger HD.  My aging workstation has a 2 TB hard drive and a 1.5 TB external drive.  So I'm not overly concerned about 10 GB either way. 

The reply stating "the majority of product users want to keep older versions" I think is exaggerating.

========

I don't think so.  I am more concerned about broken workflows and GPUs that are not recognized by the latest & greatest PS versions.  I'm not alone when I say there's a much BIGGER problem going on right now.  Having access to pre-2021 versions is more critical today than it ever has been before.  Unfortunately, since Adobe implemented the N+ version policy (current release + 1 previous), it's harder to find old versions in the CC Desktop App unless one keeps them installed on their system.

I'm still using PS ver 20.x because it's stable and I can get my work done with it.  However, I can't say the same for versions 21 & 22.

Just my 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Thank you all for initiating this discussion.

@Nancy OShea 

I think getting a bigger HD is not an issue. The problem is keeping the multiple copies of the same softwares and also getting confused by which one to use. If the latest versions are not stable, allow us to reinstall the previous versions of the softwares. I am unaware of the technical difficulties in allowing them but if it is possible that could be the easiest solusion. Now, since stability is the concern, we have to keep the multiple versions.

Thanks and Regards,

Dinesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dinesh Naik,

CC Desktop has an option to keep older versions on your computer when you install an upgrade, or not.  Your choice.

If multiple versions confuse you, you may select the option to turn off automatic app updates.   Upgrade manually when you're ready to deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the latest versions are not stable, allow us to reinstall the previous versions of the softwares.

This is already possible, @Dinesh Naik.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much @John Waller 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a follow on question to this.  I also have 20.0.9 and 21.1.2 on my computer.  Is one of these what is known as "Classic?"  If so which one as I want to be using Classic addition at this time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 20 and 21 are the 2 latest releases of Photoshop CC.  Don't confuse Photoshop with Lightroom.

Lightroom has 2 versions.  Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic for desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question, therefore, is: Should I have both versions? I have already taken steps, via the cloud updater, to delete the lower numbered one. What should I do now?
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not required to do anything.  Other versions are available for people who want them.  If you don't want them, don't use them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - this is what I was looking for. I have PS CC 2019, PS 2020 and PS 2021 showing in my applications. Presumably 2021 is the most recent and I can just leave the other two sitting there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. You can actually continue to use any one of them depending on your preference.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have noticed on my Creative Cloud screen that I now have Photoshop version 23.1.1 and version 22.5.5. I have always allowed Creative Cloud to automatically update my Adobe programmes and I have never requested a download of another version of the programme. I have subscribed to Adobe CC for around 4 years. It seems to me that the update routine that takes place when another version is sent out by Adobe, doesn't always delete the previous version. Otherwise, why would I have two versions of the same software on my computer and why would it still continue to be updated by Adobe? Surely this needs to be investigated by Adobe?

As suggested in this thread, I am now deleting the earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's your choice whether the updates delete the old version, or delete it. Unless you are desperately short of space, I'd suggest keeping it. What would you do if the new version didn't work properly on your video card? Or if a function had been removed? Or you couldn't find something you need? Busy people can't afford to waste time finding old downloads - having the old version ready to roll can save a job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like most pc users, I don't have the space to fill up my hard drive with hundreds of old versions of programmes, although I do take the point if the new version didn't work properly. However - reading the replies again, I keep seeing "Its your choice to keep thd old version...." but nobody has said that there is an option in Creative Cloud Preferences that enable you to keep or remove the older version of Photoshop and Bridge! I have just found in Preferences that there is an option to tick "Remove Older Versions". Why didn't someone say that in their reply, rather than just saying "Its your choice.......". Simple - problem solved......thanks.....!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines