• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why all of a sudden my masks are "black reveal" instead of "white reveal"? How can i fix this?

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I work a lot with luminosity masks in photoshop (21.0.0, Mac). All of a sudden, and I do not know why, when I select something on my photograph (the sky or a house) or the highlights, they are saved as black selections (black reveal) instead of white as before. This is super annoying. Can anyone help me understand how to solve this?

Thanks!!
Best,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the keyboard option key be stuck? That give you a black hide all mask.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have a quick question for you...did you change your settings in Quick Mask mode from Masked Areas to Selected Areas? This has been an issue with me in the past, and I have fixed it by going back to Masked areas. Try it and let us know if this works!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mglush. Thank for replying. 

Honestly, I have no idea what those are. How do I change them? I use it to edit my photos, mainly curves adjustments and a love of luminosity masks. Where is this "Masked Areas"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What are the settings in the dialog that appears when you double-click the Channel in the Channels Panel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have been trying to upload the screenshot for the last 30 minutes, but it doesn't work, it won't upload. I treid uploading to a free repository to get the URL, but the forum says it is not complete. I have no idea why it doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use the image button in the posting box to attach a screenshot. You need to be online though, not on email.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the forum is currently  having an issue with screenshots I just tried to attach one and it failed 😞

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try this: https://ibb.co/7pyKp3B

I select the sky in a photo, then save the selection: it appears as a black mask, with the rest white. It used to be the opposite. It is particularly annoying with luminosity masks, I want the selections to be white reveal, not black reveal. I do not remember having changed anything on some options I don't even know the existence of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've not included the options bar in your screenshot, but check the settings at the top left and make sure the "-" is not selected

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, 

still can't upload images here.

https://ibb.co/NZBd5wH

The option bar is now there (I hope, if that is what you meant).

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dave, 

Any further feedbacks? My problem is still unsolved 😞 I cannot find a reason why my masks are in Black Reveal and it is bothering me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get "Page does not exist" when I try to view your last screenshot

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of a selection (see marching ants) I made and then saved. As you can see, the selection is black and the rest is white, when it used to be the inverse. In complex images, it is very hard for the eye to use black as Reveal.

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 13.43.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

I realize that this isn't fixing the issue. but when you are working on your mask, are you aware that you can create your mask and then invert them? Here are a couple of screen shots to note where the invert buttons are.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.44.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-31 at 1.45.24 PM.png

Like I said before, it's not the fix to the issue, but a viable workaround.

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines