• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I getting different sizes (MB) when exporting from the same file.

Explorer ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using one file to create splash pages. The canvas size is 1980 x 1080 and I save them as pngs.  When I first created the file and made the first splash, I saved it as a png that was 957K. 
The second splash (with the same paramenters) was 1.4 MB
The 3rd splash was 1.7MB
The 4th was 2.1 MB
They were getting better every time I created a new one. Despite the fact that it wasn't changing in size. Color wise or what was being shown was also not getting more complicated, so visually it didn't make sense either. 

I thought maybe it was the file that was getting large and it was getting extra (info?) during the save. But I could still export my first splash and it still comes out at its original size (957K) 

I've tried taking the 4th splash page into a new file (just itself and even merged/flattened the layers) and now, that image is still coming out as over 2 MB. 

I have tried the export option/save for web. Its a little smaller, but still doesn't solve why each new splash I create in the file comes out as a larger png. 

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Please post the images. 

Compression results depend on the image content; for identical, truly flat color areas it is not really relevant which the color is. 

But once gradients and/or noise enter the image differences are not surprising. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the pngs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to confidentialality agreements, I cannot. 
But I assure, that one is no more complex then previous version. Even after being merged/flattened, brought into a new file. I had a fellow co-worker who has a better knowledge of PS than I, and he couldn't understand why it was doing each subsequent save/saveforweb larger then the previous.

We hypothesized that Phtotoshop was creating more unknown data from..."air" -"magic" ?lol. Removing any instances alphaed pixels that may be floating around didn't seem to help. 

I'm going to create another splash, make it as simple as possible and export it and see its size. I'll report back when I do that with the new size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, after playing with a couple splashes. I created two. One light colored and one dark colored. The dark colored ones are larger. 
I had no idea that this was a thing. Gradients also seem to drive up the size of the final export/save. Again..I thought once things were flattened, it didn't matter what was on the image. 

So is this a thing? It DOES matter what colors and how they are displayed on the final size of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the images. 

Compression results depend on the image content; for identical, truly flat color areas it is not really relevant which the color is. 

But once gradients and/or noise enter the image differences are not surprising. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you are right. I was just never aware of such a thing. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines