Highlighted

Why do my pen lines keep disappearing when I select a shape on a separate layer afterwards?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get pen lines to stay after drawing them.  I have closed off the pen lines as indicated here Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop .  Then I select a new layer and select a circle shape and all of my lines disappear.  I am trying to draw a guitar fretboard and add different coloured circles to certain fret positions but this is seeming impossible to do.  I don't understand why Adobe make simple things so complex.

I am using a pc with Photoshop CC.  Thanks in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Chuck Uebele | Adobe Community Professional

Use the shape selection rather than the path when using the pen tool, and set either or both the stroke and fill colors.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why do my pen lines keep disappearing when I select a shape on a separate layer afterwards?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get pen lines to stay after drawing them.  I have closed off the pen lines as indicated here Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop .  Then I select a new layer and select a circle shape and all of my lines disappear.  I am trying to draw a guitar fretboard and add different coloured circles to certain fret positions but this is seeming impossible to do.  I don't understand why Adobe make simple things so complex.

I am using a pc with Photoshop CC.  Thanks in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Chuck Uebele | Adobe Community Professional

Use the shape selection rather than the path when using the pen tool, and set either or both the stroke and fill colors.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 11, 2017 0
Guide ,
Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the pen tool you draw "virtual" paths only, not real strokes.

A path is meant for example

- to lead a brush stroke along its way

- or to serve as a clipping path for irregular objects in other programs

- or as a base line for rendering trees, flames and other stuff from the filter menu.

You can activate and manipulate paths in the path panel, but you'll have not many  options.

To draw a guitar fretboard you should use Illustrator instead. Or another vector based program like Corel Draw or the free Inkscape.

There you not only can see what you draw, but also you'll have the possibility for nearly endless modifications because every line/circle is an object of its own.

Fenja

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2017 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I'm trying to create an arc in Photoshop and the Pen Tool is what I started with as a shape.  But when I click on any other drawing icon on any other layer, these lines disappear.  So, I want these lines to stay; I don't have illustrator.  Very frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2018 0
Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screen shot of before the shape disappears and one after? Are you sure you have shape selected, and if you do, do you have a stroke fill selected also?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2018 0
Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supporting the answers you have already received...

When you are using the vector tools, there are three drawing modes to choose from:

• Paths
  • Shape Layers
  • Fill Pixels

They all have their uses, but for your use, follow Chuck Uebele​'s advice and use Shape Layers in Photoshop, or fenjas29325284's and switch over to Illustrator.

As a trainer, here's my issue with the link you provided. Adobe mentions the drawing modes in a single sentence, and if you didn't follow the link they provided then you missed the discussion of the three modes and when to use each one. And while I'm critiquing Adobe's help files, the link they offer is to an older version of Photoshop. The info is still correct, but the modes now appear in a list (see Chuck's outline above) and not as the three linear buttons.

Safariss_001.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2017 1
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you mention here steps which we need to follow to avoid objects disappearing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an imperfect way to get the lines not disappear - as soon as you draw a new line or shape, merge it with the previous shapes. Awkard and does not solve everything, still I think it's a better anwser than the one from the Adobe-community professional.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only repeat the reply from Krishna_Singh. You ahve written a long para without actually answering the question.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed my selection to shape but still the moment I choose another layer or change the tool it disappears i have tried everything i knew i try with changing layer order,locking layers but it didn't work at all... Please help...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020 1