• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do my tool presets disappear after saving and program restart? Photoshop 2020

Advisor ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have saved a large number of tool presets for Mixer brush, Pattern Stamp tool, Smudge tool and Art History brush from my previous (on another laptop) installation of Photoshop.  There, once loaded, the tool presets remained listed and visible when you went to select one from the drop down menu.  But on my new install of PS (21) the tool presets load fine, but when you close PS, and reoprn it, the tools are no longer listed, tool-by-tool, in the tool preset windows.  

Please can someone help me fix this. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Thanks,

David

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Hello, update to V. 21.1 as there is a fix for disappearing tool presets: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about the tools disappearing after saving them, I would recommend making a back up of everything and then reset the preferences of Photoshop back to default and then reload the presets again and let me know if the issue occurs again. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. What do you mean by "back up everything"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset all preferences and reinstalled a tpl set of art history brush tool presets.  They listed until I restarted PS.  Then, as before, they were no longer there. So that did not work. Any other solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any more advice, Sahil?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Same issue for me here, which is currently preventing me from using 2020. Hard to believe that a global issue like this has made it past "quality checks" before relasing the new version. Sad support as well, no update since 25th of November and even that single response doesn't look like they even took the time to entirely read your problem description. Otherwise they wouldn't have advised to "reset preferences" of a fresh install 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you entirely RW-P. I had a simple system before the changes which kept saved and new tool brushes (tpls) separate from the brush brushes (abrs) - clean and easy to bring up whatever I wanted quickly.  Now I have no tool presets and all my saved tool presets are in the same place as the brushes in categories which I find awful to navigate.  If we must have the new brush holder please can we have our tool presets still appearing in the tool preset drop down menus.

There are a myriad of fixes in the recent 21.0.2 update but nothing useful to me like tool brush (eg a brush I make from the art history tool) separate location or an adjustable thickness brush cursor that is more visible when painting.

The desperate effort to make Photoshop usable on phones and tablets - and on smart watches too soon no doubt - is taking up too much Adobe effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded a tools preset and it disappears when I close Photoshop 2020 & reopen Photoshop again.  I can reload the tool each time I want to use it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Having to reload all my tool presets on each PS restart is insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, update to V. 21.1 as there is a fix for disappearing tool presets: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HURRAH!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, please report after you installed the update, and then click on the "correct answer" so that others will find it directly below your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem with the latest 2022 version of Photoshop 23.2.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines