• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Photoshop CS4 keep crashing?! (Mac OS)

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop often, daily even. I upgraded to CS4 at the beginning of this year and have a CONSTANT and very IRRITATING problem. It keeps crashing, for no apparent reason. It will crash during all kinds of "tasks". Saving, opening an image from RAW, using the liquify tool, using the clone tool, running an action and any number of others tasks cause a crash in Photoshop CS4.

I work relatively fast, as I use Photoshop on a daily basis. This is how it will happen...

I'll be working on an image and I "command S" to save. There will be a slight delay of about 2-4 seconds and then Photoshop will crash and I will get a pop-up screen to submit a crash report. I have submitted literally hundreds, if not thousands of these. Then, Photoshop sits idle for a few minutes as if it is locked up, unable to "Relaunch". So, I then usually have to "Force Quit" Photoshop, yet, it will not immediatly quit. It takes another couple of minutes to do so before I am able to begin working again. This process happens, on average, a couple of times per hour, if not more.

Luckily, I have "trained" myself to save after almost ever thing I do. But, I inevitable loose something as it happens just after a "task" or during a "save". (It happens during a save frequently.) Plus, I'm loosing valuable time waiting on it to Relaunch, and figuring out where I'm at on the image all over again.

Needless to say, I'm beyond frustrated, to say the least.

There is something else that doesn't make sense. My business partner, who also has a new IMac (not the VERY newest model that just came out but the one just prior to that...It was purchased in December 08 as well) and also runs CS4 does not have this crashing problem! At all! Not once.

Here's the difference in our systems...He purchased the 24" model, while I purchased the 20". And, this is where I actually think the problem may lie...I am running dual monitors, while he does not.

I've tried to trouble-shoot this problem, since he does not have the problem, while I do. I did "About this Mac" on both our machines to see if there were any obvious differences, besides running dual monitors. What I found under HARDWARD were only two minor differences. His processor speed is 2.8 while mine is 2.66 GHz. and the SMC Version of his machine is 1.3f1, while mine is 1.29f1. There were no differences in the GRAPHICS/DISPLAYS section either, beyond my having a second display.

Both his and my graphics/displays are as follows:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model:    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
  Type:    Display
  Bus:    PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    256 MB
  Vendor:    ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:    0x9583
  Revision ID:    0x0000
  ROM Revision:    113-B2250L-259
  EFI Driver Version:    01.00.259
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution:    1280 x 800
  Depth:    32-bit Color
  Core Image:    Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Quartz Extreme:    Supported
  Built-In:    Yes

Below is the information regarding my second display.

LaCie 324:
  Resolution:    1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
  Depth:    32-bit Color
  Core Image:    Hardware Accelerated

Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Quartz Extreme:    Supported
  Rotation:    Supported
  Television:    Yes

As you can see, my second display is a Lacie 324. It is rather new, I purchased it in November or December 08 as well as my IMac. I have the Lacie set as my main display.

When I have Googled this Photoshop CS4 crash problem, I have come across some mention of the GPU Settings and Enable OpenGL Drawing. I have to admit, I really don't understand this. Should OpenGL Drawing be on or off??? I turned OpenGL Drawing off some time ago because I had a problem with calibrating my Lacie monitor. My monitor was showing images skewed toward red, while my prints were coming out with less red. I Googled this problem (at the time I didn't think this was related to the crashing issue) and someone said they were having trouble calibrating their monitor as well and managed to "fix" that by turning "Enable OpenGL Drawing" off. I did that and it did indeed fix the problem with getting my Lacie monitor calibrated. FYI, my business partner also turned off the Enable OpenGL Drawing feature and...again...he has NOT had the problem with Photoshop CS4 crashing. So, since he is not having the problem and I am, I would assume the "Enable OpenGL Drawing" issue that is mentioned on this site, is not the crashing problem, though I could be wrong.

So, I go back to having a second monitor as being the most-likely candidate for causing the Photoshop crashes. I am wondering if the Lacie display is "drawing" the graphics at the speed that differs, or is incompatable, with Photoshop CS4??? This is just a guess from someone who is not all that technically savy. But, again, I'm not sure. I have also looked on the Lacie website for any updates for the Lacie 324. There are none, as far as I can tell.

I am curious if others with and without dual monitors are having these crashes. If so, have you found any resolution? I'm desperate for help so if anyone can shed any light on this issue, it would be most appreciated.

Below, I will put some specs about my machine, in case that is helpful.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac8,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    6 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:    IM81.00C1.B00
  SMC Version:    1.29f1

I have the 11.0.1 version of Photoshop CS4.

PLEASE help if you can. Thanks so much!

DGJ [email address deleted by host]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Sorry to post in the wrong forum!  I just wanted to quickly vindicate Adobe, though, after my rather jaded previous post.  I just downloaded the update from Adobe Automatic Updates and Photoshop hasn't crashed since.  Don't know if that will help you Mac folks or not, but I thought I'd just let you know.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a crash on quit in 12.0.0 due to permissions (in a component supplied by another group), but that was fixed in 12.0.1.

Beyond that, we haven't had any crashes due to permissions that we know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed no third party plugins; CS4 has been acting this way right off the disk.

Well, so far our crashes on quit have been due to bugs in third party plugins, or bugs in printer and scanner drivers.

If Adobe does employ people to process crash reports they must have some serious overtime issues going on right now.

I read them, but again, we can't reply to all of them.

And really, Photoshop doesn't crash that often except for third party issues (see above).

If we find a bug in our code, we try to fix it as soon as we can...

If CS4 is crashing often, then there is a problem with something else on the system.

If you give me the email address you use when sending in the reports, I can do a search for your reports and find the exact cause.

(probably best to send me a private message, unless you like your email address going to SPAM bots)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>We don't have CS5 yet but I'm hopeful that it's just one big patch.

in many ways that's how I looked at CS5. CS4 was crashing consistently, and from what I was told the crash reporter would kick in before or after ( I forget which) the problem could be identified.

I think my problems had to do with font activation with FAP and how it interacted with the CS4 suite because quite often when one app would crash on quit they all did. I don't know if the auto-activation problems were on the FAP side or CS4.... but in the end CS5, a high fiber diet and cleansing of my fonts has resulted in much less ( I might even say.... no crashing) at this point. So... even though I was one of unfortunate people that needed to reinstall CS5 it was worth upgrading just to get rid of the crash on quit issues.

regards

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: I have encountered situations where multiple applications crash on launch. Crashing applications can include Apple applications such as Mail. When I have encountered this, the OSX window server is typically "broken" and you need to restart your system.

When this is the case, your window server log (Console > Files > /private/var/log > windowserver.log) > may contain error messages such as:

CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds.
This is something that we have worked with Apple on, and is something that may be related to creating either many windows at the same time, or many windows over time.

In Cocoa we are able to reduce the number of windows that we use in Photoshop, and as such you should see this problem much less with CS5 than with previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>where multiple applications crash on launch.

I think that most of the CS4 issues mentioned here were crash on quit, is the same OS bug responsible for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my problems had to do with font activation with FAP

Yes, FAP had many bugs to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that but I got the same problem (but not as often as yours).  What pisses me off is it takes the files I saved with it when it crashes (so that work that I saved but still open will no longer recover).  I don't know what's wrong with it but I'm considering upgrading to CS5.5 soon if this keeps happening.  The best of luck to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've installed all the updates (to 12.0.4) and it's still crashing often, chances are you're looking at a third party plugin bug or an OS bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What pisses me off is it takes the files I saved with it when it crashes (so that work that I saved but still open will no longer recover). 

Local files or saved acrosss a network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to create a logo for my website using Photoshop but I did not understand what size will be perfect for my website. Please anyone suggest me by visiting this website and recomment the size of logo.

Michel Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines