• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Photoshop CS6 blink on Windows 8?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Photoshop CS6, my screen blinks and flashes, especially when using editing tools or adjusting the image (increasing/decreasing size.)  I am an Adobe Cloud member and using a new machine that has Windows 8 which I am still getting used to.  I had been using my CS apps on my laptop/W7 with no problem whatsoever.  Not sure if the OS makes a difference.  Suggestions?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Known problem with Windows 8 GPU drivers.

We're working with the GPU vendors and Microsoft to come up with a solution.

For the time being, set the GPU drawing mode to "Basic" in preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous replies -- you need to update your video card driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem on a new Windows 8 machine, 16 GB RAM and ATI Radeon 7600 series vid. card. Updated the driver. Same issues. Got rid of all 3rd party plugins. Same issues. Resetting drawing mode to Basic fixed the flashing screen while painting, but introduced new issues such as flashing screen while scrolling around document after zooming in, odd changes to image (darker) when clicking on the eye icon of Layers to assess changes, or a white and gray checkerboard screen when clicking on eye icon of layer. None of this occurs with any of my many other photoediting software, only with Photoshop CC. It would be nice if you would roll back the new graphics until you get it sorted. What I thought was a minor irritation is quickly developing into a major pain.

I am tempted to install an old copy of CS4 and be done with it until a fix comes down the pike. Will CS4 work on Windows 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update the driver from AMD's website?  So far everyone who actually updates the driver correctly has the problem disappear.

This isn't a matter of "new graphics", this is just a bug in Windows 8.

Other than the driver updates, we're not sure when Microsoft will have the more complete fix ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I udated the driver from the AMD web site. They sent me an email with the most recent driver listed, dated 2013-09-06. After installation, however, it is dated 2012-08-28 in Device Manager, I found today. I am writing them to clarify this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cured this problem by getting a new graphics card - nVidia Quadro 2000. These seem to be designed for reliability rather than for playing games like most consumer graphics cards.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me crazy but I worked out what the problem was with my laptop.

My Laptop has both Intel HD and Nvidia GPU's onboard. The latest driver from Nivdia changed the Preferrered Graphics Processor to Integrated Graphics rather than the Nvidia GPU. Photoshop couldn't see the Nvidia GPU and started using the Intel HD and started flickering.

I changed the settings below and all fixed.

Nvidia Control Panel

Global Settings > Preferrered Graphics Processor > High-Performance Nvidia Processor

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cbensi:  this switching also seem to fix the problem here (photoshop cc - windows8). But for some strange reason, when switching back to 'automatic' (system picks Intel graphic card) or directly to the Intel graphic card, Photoshop seems to keep working. So something seem to be fixed/changed during the switching... strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, a year later, and this issue still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hav cc biatch )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Intel and Sansumg (my laptop manufacturer), who have now diagnosed that, as the flickering is only happening in the latest Photoshop version and not on any other software then it is a problem with the Photoshop version.

The only other thing I can think of now, is to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop CC 2014 software, which I dont think I can do, as it will recognise that I already had a 30 day trial that has now run out. But I can try and see if maybe installing Photoshop with the latest graphics driver already there, may cure the problem.

Will let you know how I get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the problem is with your out of date video card driver.

This was a very well discussed problem when Windows 8 came out, and the GPU vendors updated their drivers to solve it.

Reinstalling Photoshop will not change your out of date video card driver.

To solve the problem, you need to update the video card driver from the GPU maker's website (Microsoft and your system builder typically have drivers that are years out of date).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video card driver is not out of date. I have the latest version now, which I got and updated direct form Intel. Intel has even detected and reported I have their latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating drivers does NOT solve the issue. The screen flashes black when editing text, and the background flashes between default grey and transparent sometimes. Changing to Basic in preferences solves only the black flashing issue, but not the grey (sides) background. I see that this issue has been around for a few years, you really need to solve it. I'm disappointed of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is bad video card drivers released with Windows 8 -- something that Adobe can do nothing about.

Yes, updating drivers from the GPU maker's website does solve the issue by picking up all the bug fixes to the drivers.

The only exception is for SurfacePro 3 owners, who should update that driver from Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is bad video drivers why is it that ONLY ADOBE PHOTOSHOP has this problem. Lightroom 6 does not have this problem. And not a single one of my other programs have this problem. IT AIN'T NVIDIA or AMD's problem. MAN-UP this is an ADOBE problem!!! I'm running windows 7 pro and have NVIDIA 970 Video card and run the current drivers. The Curser blink on PS CC 2015 is so bad I can't even open the menus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it isn't only Photoshop, it affected many applications using the GPU on Windows 8.

We confirmed the Windows 8 problem with the GPU vendors involved, and it was fixed in driver updates years ago.

But this was about a full screen/image flash/blink - not just the cursor.

Did you update the drivers from NVidia's website? If so, they may have added a new bug and need more information to isolate the problem and fix it.

Or you may have some utility on your system trying to change the cursor incorrectly and causing it to blink rapidly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS CC 2014 64bit did not have this problem on my machine LR6 does not have this problem nor does any Adobe or non Adobe product has this problem, but when I uninstalled PS cc 2014 and Installed PS cc 2015 64 bit I got severe cursor blink to the point that I am not able to open any menus. I am running Windows 7 pro that is completely up to date. My MB drivers and BIOS are completely up to date. I have NVIDIA 970 video card BIOS and Driver are completely up to date. I removed my logitech mouse, uninstalled my Setpoint software rebooted and used only my wacom pad and the problem persisted. I renamed the PS psp file and forced photoshop to rebuild the preference file and the problem persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so you do have a different issue to what this topic was discussing. You're just seeing the cursor blinking.

Something on your system is messing up cursor drawing. But we don't know what has been installed on your system. It could be a utility, a third party plugin, or a driver bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on this problem for sometime and have come up with a crude work around"

• Go into Lightroom 6.1(LR), click on "Help" on menu bar and then click on "Sign Out (Your logon ID)" --in my case it is my email address.
  • Close LR
  • Reboot Windows 7.
  • Launch Lightroom 6.1 --You will be required to log on at beginning of launch process.
  • Launch Photoshop  CC 2015 (PS), this seems to work better if I right click on the shortcut select "file Location and clicking on "Photoshop.exe" there.
  • As soon as the Launch screen for PS appears I Alt-Tab to lightroom lick on "Help" on menu bar and then click on "Sign Out (Your logon ID)" as fast as  I can.
  • If I time this just right I have both LR and PS running just fine and communicating with each other (I can't use "Libraries", but since this has never worked on my computer, just blinking gray to white at the same frequency as my cursor hourglass when I don't use this walk around)
  • I sometimes have to repeat this process several times before I get this

How I got to this work around:  I reported my blinking library problem to the Adobe forum as soon as it first occurred but never got a single response. It was obvious to me that the "Libraries" module was stuck in a loop that something on my machine triggered. Even uninstalling PS, and running the Adobe Cleaner and reinstalling PS did not fix this problem. . .

I noted that If I booted my machine into a "Safe Mode" with "Minimal" selected that PS worked fine but if I selected "Networking" when I booted into "Safe Mode" that I had the problem of the blinking cursor hourglass and I had no access to PS's menus. In both modes clicking on the "Libraries" tab launched a blinking gray to white box. While looking at LR's help menu I noted the "Sign Out (Your logon ID)" and I started to play around with it to see if disconnecting from the network login might "Solve" the problem. The procedure above came out of that.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated my graphics driver on my Dell laptop. It effectively changed my blinking black screen to a blinking white one. GPU set to basic in photoshop cc. I just began my CC subscription and photoshop is literally unusable. The blinking prevents the use of any drop-down menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased a year trial of Photoshop CC, and have reinstalled the program over 6 different times with the "glitch" of the flashing on every download. I cannot use this program, and yet I still have 7 months worth of payments that haven't been paid yet out of my year membership. If this problem continues on, and my next payment being due in approximately 1 week I will be asking for a full refund as I've not been able to use it correctly for the 5 months that's been paid. Please, I and I'm sure...several others are having this same problem and it is not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can see this video. In this video you will find two solutions.............

please visit this link

[ SPAM link removed by admin ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For the time being, set the GPU drawing mode to "Basic" in preferences."

I'm using Photoshop CS2 on Windows 7. I've looked through every window in preferences and I can't find any mention of GPU anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For all those people who face this error please find below the easiest solution for this error.

• First of all click on the Catalyst Control Center.
  • Now click on ‘3D Application Settings’.
  • All you have to do is change the ‘Wait for Vertical Refresh’ option to ‘On, unless application specifies’.
  • You’re done.

If you are not able to fix the issue using the steps given above and wanna try some other effective methods visit : Windows 8 and Photoshop CS6 Black Screen Flickering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines