Why does Photoshop save my edited pictures with too much saturation? Help!!

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some major help here!  I’ve been asking around throughout several photography facebook communities that I’m with and no one can help me yet with figuring this out!  I’m not savvy when it comes to troubleshooting so anyone who can help I would greatly appreciate your advice!!    

The short of it is that my images open kinda dull on Adobe Photoshop, and after all the time and effort editing an image, it saves too saturated on my desk top!  When I open the image back in Adobe Photoshop, it reverts back to the way I had edited it.  I don’t know what to do to fix this!  I’m assuming there must be something I need to fix in Adobe itself but I haven’t been able to found out what yet! 

In more details, I’ve been saving up for a longgg time for Adobe Photoshop and for Microsoft Surface Studio 2.  I take pictures on Canon D6 Mark2.  I load those pictures onto my desk top.  Sometimes I will take them to Adobe Bridge from there, but for me it’s easier to view the pictures saved on my desk top.  Ones that I want to edit, I then open individually in Adobe Photoshop.  That’s when I’ve started noticing the image quality is a little duller when it opens.  And certainly after I edit it in Photoshop and then save the image back to the folder on my desk top, when I review it there, the edited one is always too saturated and noticeably different!  I have emailed the edited and saved image on the desk to me, I have sent it to facebook, and I have also printed it, and each time yes the image is still over saturated.  If I open the image back into Adobe Photoshop it does revert back to the way I had originally edited it.  But obviously this isn’t good, I can’t screen shot each image to deliver them to customers!  I was recommended to also buy Spyder Elite to calibrate my computer, which I did do, but has not changed this problem for me. 

I attached an example with an edited image in Photoshop to the left.  And the same edited image saved onto my desktop opened on the right for a visual aid.  

If anyone can help that would be wonderful!  This has had me stumped for a month now and I am so behind in my plans and doubtful of how I can proceed.  Thank you sooooo much for your help!!

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Import and export, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why does Photoshop save my edited pictures with too much saturation? Help!!

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some major help here!  I’ve been asking around throughout several photography facebook communities that I’m with and no one can help me yet with figuring this out!  I’m not savvy when it comes to troubleshooting so anyone who can help I would greatly appreciate your advice!!    

The short of it is that my images open kinda dull on Adobe Photoshop, and after all the time and effort editing an image, it saves too saturated on my desk top!  When I open the image back in Adobe Photoshop, it reverts back to the way I had edited it.  I don’t know what to do to fix this!  I’m assuming there must be something I need to fix in Adobe itself but I haven’t been able to found out what yet! 

In more details, I’ve been saving up for a longgg time for Adobe Photoshop and for Microsoft Surface Studio 2.  I take pictures on Canon D6 Mark2.  I load those pictures onto my desk top.  Sometimes I will take them to Adobe Bridge from there, but for me it’s easier to view the pictures saved on my desk top.  Ones that I want to edit, I then open individually in Adobe Photoshop.  That’s when I’ve started noticing the image quality is a little duller when it opens.  And certainly after I edit it in Photoshop and then save the image back to the folder on my desk top, when I review it there, the edited one is always too saturated and noticeably different!  I have emailed the edited and saved image on the desk to me, I have sent it to facebook, and I have also printed it, and each time yes the image is still over saturated.  If I open the image back into Adobe Photoshop it does revert back to the way I had originally edited it.  But obviously this isn’t good, I can’t screen shot each image to deliver them to customers!  I was recommended to also buy Spyder Elite to calibrate my computer, which I did do, but has not changed this problem for me. 

I attached an example with an edited image in Photoshop to the left.  And the same edited image saved onto my desktop opened on the right for a visual aid.  

If anyone can help that would be wonderful!  This has had me stumped for a month now and I am so behind in my plans and doubtful of how I can proceed.  Thank you sooooo much for your help!!

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Import and export, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 10, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color profile are you editing in? Do you convert it to sRGB if not already in that profile? If not, FB and most other apps will treat your image as an sRGB image and mess up the saturation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2021 1
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I did this correctly to answer your question about which colour profile I am using.  I opened an image in Adobe Photoshop, and went to Edit / Assign Profile / and Working RGB: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is highlighted.  Is this what you mean?  Should I do something different?  Thank you for your reply!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to understand the difference between color managed and not color managed applications.

Photoshop is color managed and uses your monitor profile to represent the file correctly on screen - assuming your monitor profile is accurate. This is what you use a calibrator for.

Windows Explorer, the Windows desktop, Windows Photos are not color managed and will never display correctly, ever, under any circumstances. They ignore both the document profile and the monitor profile. Then it's entirely down to the response of your display, whatever that is. The more different your display is from the document color space, the more incorrect it appears.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2021 2
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response!  I'm trying to setup in the world of photography and strangely no one has mentioned this to me!  I'm not sure if you are a photographer, but you sound highly knowledgable, and I wonder if you would recommend the best place for me to save my images onto my computer that won't alter the colours?  I don't want to have to reopen an image each time in Photoshop to see what it really looks like, that might take forever to get through a bunch of images!  Thank you for your time!     

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a matter of where you save the images, but what application you use to view them.

You seem to have a wide gamut monitor, and images will display over saturated on that kind of monitor in applications without color management.

Windows does not come with a color managed image viewer, so you have to use a third party solution.

Here are some options:

1. FastStone image viewer. Free for personal use. Color management must be enabled under Settings > CMS, and both boxes must be checked,
  2. ACDSee. Not free. Color managed out of the box.
  3. Irfanview. Free for none commercial use. Color management must be enabled under Options > Properties/Settings.

image_2021-01-12_005727.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 2
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I will look into those!  My chief concern is, if I edit pictures for a client on my Surface which sounds like it has a wider array of the colour scheme I guess, and they open it in their normal, every day, whatever computer, they will see something over saturated.  And they may like it that way, or may not, but if they order prints and it comes back to them in the origional edit colours because perhaps I send it out to a company that DOES have a nice wide array of colour management, there will only be complaints from customers that their picture is not as it had been presented to them!  I know I can't control what another person has to view pictures from, but the majority probably has a normal laptop.  I heard the Microsoft Surface Studio was THE thing to have for a photographers work.  But now I'm wondering what is the sense of spending all the money on this computer, that most everyone else does not have capatible ways to view their pictures in the form I had edited?  It seems like a frustrating waist of time and money!  Should I look into a way to maybe 'dumb down' my colour spectrum on Adobe Photoshop to closer match what others most likely may have to view images from?  Other photographers haven't expressed these same difficulties, so I'm at my wits end and not sure what is the best thing to do!    

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Em5CEC_0-1610468452580.png Does this help in any way?  Here is a screen shot.  If I go to 'Save for Web' and go to this 2-up part, it shoes my origional and how it's going to be over saturated when i save it as a jpeg!  Is there something here I can do to prevent this change?  This seems far more frustrating than it should be lol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
D Fosse LATEST
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I could never understand, all Save For Web defaults turn off color management.

"Embed color profile" is one thing you need to set manually to turn proper color management on.

But there's one more: "Preview > Monitor Color". You need to change this to "Preview > Use Document Profile". Then it will match Photoshop.

It's as if Safe For Web (and Export!) still live in the previous century. There is no reason those settings shouldn't enable full color management by default, considering that all major web browsers today do it. So if for no other reason, they should change this policy just to make SFW match Photoshop and web browsers. But until then, you have to do it yourself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0