Highlighted

Why does the Extension menu now say "legacy".

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extension menu now says legacy in CC 2021. What does this mean? Are HTML panel extensions being phased out?  

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why does the Extension menu now say "legacy".

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extension menu now says legacy in CC 2021. What does this mean? Are HTML panel extensions being phased out?  

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the CEP framework is being replaced with UPX.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if UPX will be able to run JSX files/functions.  I was just looking through some of the documentation but so far haven't seen anything referring to JSX.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know. I think the UPX is mainly for extension and not regular scripts. I haven't been following it, as I should.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that.  I have developed a few very complex automation panels.  So I'm really concerned that my panels will become unusable in the near future.  I have a lot of homework to do for sure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSX and Extensions will be replaced by UXP. I don't know exact date, but we must be ready that may happen when CC2022 is available. There won't be newer version of CEP, while ExtendScript won't work anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must rewrite jsx and html5 panels for sure, for now you have time to learn how to do it. Join special program (via the thread you found already) where with other concerned scripters you can participate in development.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So stand alone JSX scritps will be dead too, not just HTMl panels?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think so.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You made I'm ACP as you, so now I'll make a favour for you advising you to get to know more about UXP before you will regret you believed jsx will exist in Photoshop forever 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i bet everyone will be happy that adobe kills it. lol....

and 4 years later UPX will be killed because there is a new and better looking kid on the block.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 2
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it comes to that I will. Waiting for the dust to settle, before I dive in and have to relearn things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that I need to learn UXP.  Do you know where the reference documents are?  I did find the main UXP reference document but that seems to mainly go over how to make a UI.  Is there a documents that goes over the new scripting DOM?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just typed in google 'photoshop uxp' and found this on top: Photoshop UXP (Alpha)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I just found that too.  Not a whole lot in the document yet. I hope UXP scripting has more under the hood than what is in the document.  At least it can play actions, I think.  If so then I guess I'll start learning how to create a UI with buttons that play actions. That would be a good starting point to learn I guess.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UXP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it say jsx will be supported?

https://www.adobe.io/photoshop/uxp/guides/ 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link.  That is a helpful document that answers a lot of questions I was having 🙂 

It does mention that JSX will be supported for a long time which is reassuring.  Also, it has a link to an ExntendScript Batch Play logger that I guess converts JSX code into a useable format to UXP.  However, the link gave a 404 error when I clicked on it.  I will search to see if I can find the logger download.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 1