Highlighted

Why does this function not exist after a decade of people asking for it?

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering why photoshop still doesn't have this incredibly simple function:

A shortcut or button that saves a jpg/png copy (no overwriting - ever) of your current docutment to the same folder that the original file is in (or a pre-selected specific folder).

Can't be done with the quick export feature. Can't be done by recording actions. Can't be done with scripts event manager. The only option is digging through forums with very convoluted workarounds that half-work.

This is such a pain for people who need to export hundreds of images in a day.

Come on Adobe. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why does this function not exist after a decade of people asking for it?

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering why photoshop still doesn't have this incredibly simple function:

A shortcut or button that saves a jpg/png copy (no overwriting - ever) of your current docutment to the same folder that the original file is in (or a pre-selected specific folder).

Can't be done with the quick export feature. Can't be done by recording actions. Can't be done with scripts event manager. The only option is digging through forums with very convoluted workarounds that half-work.

This is such a pain for people who need to export hundreds of images in a day.

Come on Adobe. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can request a feature to be added to Photoshop (through an adobe website) and if enough people request this feature Adobe may add it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of actions, assigned to F-keys, that use Save For Web to a specified "outbox" on my desktop. One push of a button. I use these actions constantly.

But yes, you're right that Export isn't actionable at the moment. It simply won't record. As I understand it, this is recognized as a bug - but in that case one wonders why they haven't simply fixed it. In any case, Save For Web works splendidly in actions and every setting is recorded.

If you include destination in the recorded action, it will go to that specified folder always. If you don't, it will go to last used.

If you want it next to original file, assign a keyboard shortcut to Quick Export. Set it to export to original folder in Preferences. My thinking is that exported files are going somewhere and I don't intend to keep them, hence the "outbox".

My biggest issue with Quick Export is that there's no way to embed the color profile. That makes it useless to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can fairly easily be automated with a Script (JavaScript preferrably, but Visual Basic and AppleScript are also possible) which in turn can be assigned a Keyboard Shortcut. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 1