• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does this PS file contain a silhouette smart object?

Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel ashamed to ask as I’ve been using Photoshop for some 10+ Years but because I’ve seen it so much on other files I must be missing a trick and need a lesson on it.

Below you’ll see smart objects, but you’ll also see a full black silhouetted image too, what’s the benefit of this? Is it for easy quick selection? I see this type of black image a lot so it must have some benefit that I’m perhaps missing?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

My guess would be that it is provided for potential use as a mask (which you could invert as required depending on where you use it)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that it is provided for potential use as a mask (which you could invert as required depending on where you use it)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's a finished mask image, so you don't have to make one yourself if you need it. A mask has about a zillion possible uses, including things like putting the object on a different background and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys, I don't think I use masks to the best of their full potential - Some research needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines