• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why has SAVE changed again in Photoshop? PS 22.4.0 Update changed behavior

Enthusiast ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes i ask myself "are the coder at adobe actively searching ways to annoy the user"?

with the latest update to 22.4.0 they changed something how SAVE works.

it behaves different now.

i can´t save a layered image in PS out to the JPG format ... i have to flaten them first.

before update 22.4.0 the files where flattend automatically using the save as dialog and JPG as file format.
now i only get file formats that supports layers in the save dialog, when the image is not flattened.

also something with saving TIFF is broken.

i can´t choose "discard layer save as copy"... i have to flaten the files first so that this option is not greyed out anymore.

this was also not the case before update 22.4.0.

fuk.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tanja2014 wrote:

i can´t choose "discard layer save as copy"... i have to flaten the files first so that this option is not greyed out anymore.

this was also not the case before update 22.4.0.

You can choose File > Save a Copy instead of Save As.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is no option as i have the "save as" dialog in actions.

i added that info to my post but for some reason it was removed.

of course i can change all my actions..... thanks adobe!

i wonder how many software engineers had to think hard to come up with the clever idea to change the save as dialog. what an improvement!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has changed "Save As..." in Photoshop 22.4  the way your Action Works may create a document state where save as jpeg or an other file type is no longer a valid option like in prior Photoshop version.  You Action step is not compatible with the changed Save As feature.   You most likely need to change that "Save AS " step to a "Save A Copy" step   That should be able to save the file type you want. However that step may append  " copy" to to the file name which you may not want.  There are compatibility issues between versions of  Photoshop.  In CS4 Adobe added the adjustment panel that has a fly-out menu with items that are more like Photoshop Preferences than a adjustment option that may break Actions that add Adjustment layers.  I reported this issue when I installed CS5. I skip CS4 for Adobe  was adding GPU support in CS4. I knew there would be issues. Here in Photoshop 2021 Adobe is changing GPU support there are issues.  Anyway Adobe  Emailed me that the may fix the cs4 issues in some future release.  I have not waited  for  that release the CS4 issues are still in Photoshop 2021 as  are other reported  issues reported more than five years ago.  Many may fine they have issues with action that have save as steps.  Save as has been altered and not well tested.  Adobe's "BS" states "Save As" now protects your work.  I see no added protection. I see a new save a copy interface and a changed Save As interface. I see there are compatibility issues. I see no added document protection feature.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tanja2014 wrote:

i added that info to my post but for some reason it was removed.

I looked at your version history, Tanya. There is only one edit made, and it was made by you. It appears to have included the screenshot. I examined the text line by line and no text is missing (that I can spot) from your original post, which appears at the top of this page.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i basically copy and pasted the last part of this post in my above post:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/why-was-how-save-works-changed-in-photoshop-2...

i am pretty sure of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was having the same problem and this helped a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don´t know what was wrong with the way it was before this 22.4 update.

i sure had no complains how the "save as" dialog worked.

did people complain that the "save as" dialog was too "unsafe"?

i don´t get it.. every PS update they have to break how i work... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lightboxx wrote:

did people complain that the "save as" dialog was too "unsafe"?

Apple broke the Save As dialog with Catalina. If you are on Windows, you never saw this. Yes, people complained!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple broke it, didn't fix it, Adobe fixed it and broke it for Windows users, make sense 😜

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version 22.4 save as change  may change how Save As action step play.  A Save as PSD step will most likely play as you expect.  A Save as Jpeg step may sometimes play the way you expect  but other time it will be changed to  an interactive Save As PSD step. You can use the Savs AS dialog "Save a Copy..." button to switch to the Save a copy dialog where you can save a jpeg.  However it may add " copy" to the file name. This brakes batch processing the action.  Adobe does not maintain Photoshop well  there are compatibility issues between version of Photoshop. If you have a version of Photoshop that works well for you work. Stay with it do not install updates.  I have many version of Photoshop installed, I do not need Photoshop it just my play toy.  I install updates just to to see what crazy thing  Adobe did in the update.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it behaves different now. i can´t save layered files as JPG... i have to flaten them first."

You never could save a layered file as a jpeg, the jpeg format does not support layers. However you could use the Save dialogue to discard layers and flatten as part of the Save process. That function has now been moved to the separate menu item Save as Copy in order to prevent users from inadvertently losing their layered files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

she did not wrote she saved a layered file as JPG.

where did you read that?

she wanted to save a files with layers as JPG..... i think it´ s pretty clear what we all want to do.
enought people complained already about this change.

that security might be a reason why adobe decided to do this came to my mind.

did it came to their minds that they break actions for some people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh she actually did write that.. well i guess english is not her native language.. as it is not mine.

but it is obvious what she meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i corrected that in my post to not confuse you or others.

of course i meant saving an image that has layers out to JPG format (without keeping the layers).

i am aware of save a copy.
that was mentioned a few times now. but it does not help when the actions use the save as dialog.

"it behaves different now. i can´t save layered files as JPG... i have to flaten them first."

You never could save a layered file as a jpeg, the jpeg format does not support layers.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave how does Save As prevent the users from flatting their layers? How did save as  inadvertently flatten user layers I never saw a flatten option. Where did save as flatten documents. If  a user does not save a layered file and they close their document in Photoshop they loose their layers. I do see where save as saves a layer file out of the goodness of this change.  If a users does not save a layed file they loose their layer on close. 

Now perhaps users will add a flatten step so their action save as jpeg step works all the time not just some times and they can batch them. The action were created to save jpeg  files not to update layerd files. IMO it was a great feature that  Save As could save a flat jpeg from a layered document an opened psd.  I was very  happy when Adobe added that to Save As. Now adobe remove it and add a Save a Copy.  So Actions that have a save as steps may not play the way there were record in Photoshop 22.4 even on the document they were recorded on. A Save As jpeg step may be turned into a interactive saves as psd  step  where you can use the dialog saves a copy button to switch to save a copy where you can save the jpeg the action can no loner be batched or used  without  human interaction.   This change has impacted users work flows and broke their batch actions.  Has it also broken scripts that save files they may use save as.  It has added work users now have to edit their old action that no longer work like they were recode to work. They need to work in 22.4 and  older version. Only fools only use 22.4  and other versions do not have save a copy. So the actions now have to flatten save as jpg and back up in history to recover layers they are force to flatten to user save as jpg in 22.4.  Adobe need new manager and better designers and to do some testing make changes that are compatible 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, this feature update is absolutely terrible - it really gets in the way.

Trying to save out a PDF file, I have to check a "save as copy" box in the dialog to even see the PDF format (does this obfuscate the "Photoshop PDF" format altogether?). Then PS automatically adds "copy" to the end of the file name even though it didn't appear that way in the file name field of the dialg. WHY? Now I have to go into finder and manually change the file name.

So instead of my normal workflow of flattening all my artboards and then saving the PDF, I decided to try this new and wonderful "save as copy" feature without flattening first. I DID uncheck the "layers" checkbox while saving, so presumably the layers would be flattened in the resulting file. Not only did it still add the "copy" part to the file name (even though the file name I entered would not have overwritten anything) but the file it saved is not able to be opened in Acrobat. I got this error box:

Saved as copy without layers -error.png

Further, the file was north of 31Mb, when a manually flattened one would have been under 8Mb.

This update is just aweful - they've taken a perfectly intuitive feature that everyone has been used to using as-is for YEARS, and completely buggered it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't save as PDF???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @EanimeiCCC 

In addition, this post is from 14 May and things have changed since then.
In 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else reading through all this, THIS solution fixed the problem. 

The current update made it impossible to discard layers when saving a TIFF file. Enable Legacy Save As  and Do not append Copy to filename fixes the issue. 

Not sure why Adobe has to make things so difficult but shoutout to @jane-e  for the fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@soteeoh.7285434 wrote:

Not sure why Adobe has to make things so difficult but shoutout to @jane-e  for the fix

Thanks for the shoutout, soteeoh! The reason is that Apple made a change to their API and forced Adobe to come up with a solution.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, they just make it less functional and more laggy with every update. I dont know who works at adobe but their software is the worst. I dumped indesign and now i think im done with photoshop too. I dont understand what is the point of flattening the image first ...... thats the whole purpose of discard layers. Affinity publisher is great, gonna give their photo software a try in lieu of photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines