• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why have I never been able to get the blur tool to work... need to know what the trick is.

Advocate ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Photoshop for many decades now and still, the blur tool is a mystery to me. While there are times it would be great to be able to 'soften' areas of a photograph with a painting tool, every time I have tried the blur tool it does nothing. I've set the mode to normal and see no other controls to either enhance or select gaussian blur or other if those are available. Would love to get this tool working but need help please.

TIA,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Actually the OP means the blur "brush", the Blur Tool in the toolbar.

This is one of the original Photoshop tools, probably not much used anymore. But I actually use it quite a bit on masks (not images; not precise enough for that), and I have sort of the same problem. It doesn't seem to work.

It took me a while to figure out why. It simply isn't made for modern high resolution files. It works with very low radius. You'll notice there's a setting for strength in the options bar, but no setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Preview ticked in the Gausian Blur dialogue box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see the option for 'preview' anywhere.. 'Gaussian blur dialog box' is what I need to find now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken

It's Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur (you can apply the blur to the whole image or to a selection, or to a mask).

Here's a picture of the blur dialogue box where you can apply various levels of blur and see a preview.

Let us know how you get on.

blur.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the OP means the blur "brush", the Blur Tool in the toolbar.

This is one of the original Photoshop tools, probably not much used anymore. But I actually use it quite a bit on masks (not images; not precise enough for that), and I have sort of the same problem. It doesn't seem to work.

It took me a while to figure out why. It simply isn't made for modern high resolution files. It works with very low radius. You'll notice there's a setting for strength in the options bar, but no setting for radius which is what we need.

Try it on a 1000-pixel image, and you'll see it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gracias  Senior D Fosse, Although I do not like the answer, it is the correct answer. I would recommend Adobe stop everything and fix the blur tool so that it works, especially with today's 45mp cameras images. Nobody is using this tool because it does not work... Fix it and it will give way to new control and finess of retouching for image artists everywhere in the world. My opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I reduced the size to 1K-pixel image, lol, it worked.  Crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since as D Fosse points out, the blur tool is practically a non-functioning help, I will give up on 'blurring' anything in a painterly fashion and the method you are showing is a working example of how selective blurring can be done. Thank You for this input as it does give me an alternative to what I was trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

As an alternative "painterly approach" use gaussian blur with a mask, turn the mask completely black to take out the blur completely,  and then paint on the mask with a white brush.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so glad I found this answer.  I could nit understand why the tool was not working.  

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the blur tool to soften edges, especially for artifacts. For the way I use it (almost every day) it's more of a "soften" than a blur. I wish there were a keyboard shortcut for it. But, I came here looking for help on "Fade Blur Tool." What does it do and how is it applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOUR DAMN  SOFTWARE WORKS LIKE CRAP    IT IS A WASTE OF MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bvandee1

Welcome to this friendly peer-to-peer support forum.

If you can supply details of your issue, including your system spec, we may be able to help you sort out your problem. Most of us don't have the issues with Photoshop you seem to be having. It might be a good idea to start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your post obviously violates the forum guidelines but let’s see … 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”) and post meaningful information:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines