• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the Photoshop 2020 App Icon Shape Different?

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering why Photoshop 2020 is the oddball with a different app icon/shape design than the rest of the 2020 apps?Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 2.35.32 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Hi There,

The rounded corners actually have a meaning- they mean the app works across multiple devices and the cloud.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

The rounded corners actually have a meaning- they mean the app works across multiple devices and the cloud.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that makes sense. Thank for getting back to me! And thanks for answering my curiosity of UI disuniformity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I can appreciate the logic in your response, I must agree with Kleajmp and others who find it inconsistent with the other CC apps. Why give it the attributes of other products with rudimentary functionality compared to other more robust apps in the suite as well as being inconsistent from a design perspective?

Also, while were on the subject, why apply a function (sans shift to scale) feature in Photoshop as in other CC design apps? No offense, but seems illogical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, this suite should be designed as an entity. I would preffer all the Apps with the same icon design, and that some functions were cross-platform. It's really anoying when you're going from PS y AI and the scale function is different. This is supposed to be an integraded suite, innit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. It looks really bad tho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emmaa79120061_0-1587457311679.png

How does this fit your explanation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's so stupid, whoever came up with it should be fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats SO annoying, PLEASE make the icons consistent! you are making products for designers, so do your job and make your product look consistent. this icon really drives me nuts. eighter make them all the same in general or per device. but NEVER EVER mix them!! its not even the rounded corners, even the font is too bright!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy the old icon in finder you can replace the new one. That is what I have done 🙂

You will need to remove from dock then put it back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.... thank you so much for the tip!! Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 18.39.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that makes sense. Thank for getting back to me! And thanks for answering my curiosity of UI disuniformity.

no it doesn't, it's totally stupid. It's a cheap marketting trick to make people aware of a tabled photoshop version, where no one is waiting for. why should anyone downgrade to software that can do less?

If you copy the old icon in finder you can replace the new one. That is what I have done

You will need to remove from dock then put it back again.

That's exactly what I did directly after installing the new CC before I even read it was annoying so many other designers. For me the rounded corner apps are the "simple" apps like Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements, they are good for a certain croud, but don't bring any new functionality to me. I'm sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These programs are designed for DESIGNERS. I personally think it's ridiculous to make the shape different from the other apps. Consistency is one of the most basic yet most important principles in design yet the update has foolishly ignored this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Illustrator and InDesign can be used on multiple devices (Mac and PC) and use cloud features. You probably mean mobile devices.

I conceptually understand, but as a designer this annoys me every time I look at it. The icons don't feel integrated, and the icon differentiation does not explain why they are different, so for most people the reason is lost and it looks like a mistake. 

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to remove the apps from dock because the inconsistency makes me get a rash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wel, the update of today finally solved all icon-inconsistencies. Let alone the apps which werent updated as of now:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if they finally put back the old decent Photoshop icon. The rounded icons are assiciated with unusefull apps in my mind. Will install update now and see 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can watch my Dock's icons with peace now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines