• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why remove and discontinue support for Device Preview in CC 2018?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain the decision to remove and discontinue support for Device Preview?

An explanation that is more than just "to improve the user experience".  As a mobile game developer and freelance web designer, I... I don't know what to say without using profanity. Just WHY?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its normal Adobe Photoshop deployment Adobe management does not care they disrupt their customers work-flows.  Adobe removes working version of Photoshop by default when you install a new version of Photoshop that are not fully backwards compatible with old versions of Photoshop. I do not believe its Adobe Programmers that do this it has to be Adobe upper management policies they do not live in our world.  Be sure to use Adobe installers advance Install options to keep old versions od Adopbe Products installed.  Adobe needs better management.

Reported bugs go unfixed release after release and new bugs are added an knowingly released.

What's changed

• The Brush panel in earlier releases of Photoshop is now called Brush Settings.
  • The Brush Presets panel in earlier versions of Photoshop has been streamlined and renamed as Brushes panel. For more information, see Streamlined brush preset management.
  • Device Preview is no longer available in this release. Additionally, the Preview CC iOS app is no longer available for download or actively maintained as of October 2017. If you have a previously-downloaded version of Preview CC on your iOS device, you can continue to use it on an as-is basis with earlier versions of Photoshop.
  • Photoshop no longer prompts you to import assets into Creative Cloud Libraries while opening documents. You can still automatically import all assets from an open document using the Create New Library From Document command in the Libraries panel.
  • The Preferences > General > Show Recent Files Workspace When Opening A File setting is no longer available.
  • On macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and newer, Photoshop uses a dark title bar for floating document windows when UI brightness is set to one of the two dark settings.
  • (MacBook Pro) Touch Bar-related changes:
    • The Enable History Scrubbing In The Touch Bar preference is no longer available. To suppress history scrubbing, simply remove the corresponding button from the Touch Bar layout.
    • You can now control brush smoothing using the Touch Bar. Add this control to the Touch Bar using the Customize Touch Bar user interface.
  • PNG files created using the Save As option are now compressed better. Also, the options for saving images as PNG assets have changed for better user experience:

png-export

New options for saving images as PNG

Known issues

• Photoshop sometimes stops responding when you're using the Refine Edge brush in the Select & Mask workspace. As a workaround to this issue, disable Preferences > Performance > Advance Settings > Use OpenCL.
  • (Only on MacBooks with a single GPU and running OS X 10.11) While using the Refine Edge brush, you may notice heavy degradation along the edges of the image areas you're retouching. As a workaround to this issue, either upgrade to the latest version of macOS or turn off OpenCL (deselect Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings > Use OpenCL).
  • Photoshop sometimes stops responding when you choose 3D > Spherical Panorama > Import Panorama to import a panoramic image. As a workaround for this issue, either install the application in the default location in your system or remove any localized character from the installation path.
  • Occasional challenges while using the Curvature Pen tool:
    • Path operations might behave unexpectedly. As a workaround, use the regular Pen tool.
    • Selecting multiple points using the Ctrl+Shift-click keyboard combination may not work at times. As a workaround, Shift-click with the Direct Selection tool to select multiple points or use the regular Pen tool.
  • Usability: The path transform bounding box may be hard to see at times against dark document backgrounds. As a workaround, for shapes, select only the shape layer without the path. The transform bounding box should now be clearly visible.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me and I found Skala Preview who solved it for now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Skala Preview isn't available for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's better to download pirate version at piratebay.org. And that's what Im going to do (download 2017 older version to have Adobe Preview back). It's free and they dont tell you to update just to snatch stuff you would be aware too late to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Creative Cloud subscription, you can install older versions via the Creative Cloud desktop app, see Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application. No need to use some dubious source.

I never uninstall old versions when installing new ones. I first check the new versions for quite a while before uninstalling the old ones in order to be prepared when there are bugs, performance problems, compatibility problems with plugins, or changed or removed features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you download a pirated version of Ps when you can install all the other versions back to CS6 through the CC app?

Considering the trojans which are in many of the cracked versions, that's an incredibly stupid thing to do if you're paying for CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI All

I am a developer from China. And I created an (Plugin + App) which exactly like what Device Preview does.

It's name PsMirror

It contains a ps plugin and app. It works just like Device Preview, but more than that.

It supporst win/mac,  wifi + usb,  even more, support android devices.

It's developed first in 2016, and just for designers of Chinese...

As CC2018 remove Device Preview now, I think it's time to internationalize my product for you now.

Here is the sample video to see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it interesting that Adobe is very silent on this. I am not sure why they would want to send us looking for third party applications instead of supporting a great tool. I used it all of the time!!

I contacted support and they told me to go here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

What a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe third stayement in Whhat has changed in CC 2018

What's changed

• The Brush panel in earlier releases of Photoshop is now called Brush Settings.
  • The Brush Presets panel in earlier versions of Photoshop has been streamlined and renamed as Brushes panel. For more information, see Streamlined brush preset management.
  • Device Preview is no longer available in this release. Additionally, the Preview CC iOS app is no longer available for download or actively maintained as of October 2017. If you have a previously-downloaded version of Preview CC on your iOS device, you can continue to use it on an as-is basis with earlier versions of Photoshop.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with you mangom pushing third party solutions seems like a backwards way to do things. After following your link and doing a bit more digging I found this official response and it does seem they are officially pushing third party applications, just sad. Photoshop CC 2018: Do you plan to include Device Preview? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it has been removed and will not be back.  The reason given  to improve Photoshop performance is pure BS.   The reason is more like it would be very expensive to have to maintain version of mobile device apps for every possible mobile devices for OS like IOS11 does not support old mobile apps and old apple mobile devices can not use IOS11 the run older IOS version and can not run new device preview  apps.  There will also be compatibility issues happening the mobile android world new mobile device will has feature old devices do not have and old device stay around till the batteries no longer charge.   Adobe does not support old software and can not  test code well.

CC 2018 has hundreds of new bugs and many old bugs.   Adobe need to slow down adding bugs.  Adobe management need to improve Adobe software development processes.   Photoshop is going downhill with each new release.  Adobe need to improve the way they test software and release good products that they support. Adobe need to stop what the are currently doing. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's Adobe's official response for removing Device Preview:

Photo of Stephen Nielson

Stephen Nielson

, Group Product Manager

Yes, Device Preview was removed from the latest version of Photoshop. We always try to avoid removing features unless absolutely necessary. In this case, it was necessary to improve the performance of Photoshop, as well as focus our development efforts on higher-priority needs.

If you are on macOS, I would recommend you try out the free Skala Preview app as an alternative.  The client app is available for both iOS and Android: https://bjango.com/mac/skalapreview/

If you are on Windows, there are a number of alternatives available that you might try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actually believe Photoshop's performance has improved or will be with the removal of Device Preview.   IMO Adobe  is not stating the real reason it was removed.  It is more likely because of the Mobile device market. Adobe can not maintain versions of the mobile device preview apps for the different version of IOS and Android that would be needed. Adobe has never supported old version of their software.   New mobile devices can not run old mobile device apps and old devices can not run new mobile OS and new Apps.  Adobe does not have procedures in place to maintain versions of their software.  Support of Photoshop changes about every 18 month when Adobe drops support for what you have been using and now declares a new version as current.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, TBH I have never even used Device Preview, just though I'd supply a reason from one of the product managers. His statement has generated a lot of protests by those who use Device Preview and I should show you the rest where you could join in.

Photoshop CC 2018: Do you plan to include Device Preview? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

I would not want to call his words a smokescreen, because I personally don't know enough about this issue to say anything. I was just giving an official response.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Epic! THX man! I will spread the word about that Plugin too all my UI/UX Designer friends!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After on month translation work, PsMirror English version is ready now, just google the name and you will find the website.

any questions you can contact me on twitter @_emptykid_

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't fathom nor explain why adobe would choose to remove device preview from photoshop I was also very frustrated by that careless decision, but I have a current work around that may help.

I am currently using the invisionapp plugin for photoshop to preview and prototype mobile app designs, found here: Turn your Photoshop designs into interactive prototypes

Adobe has a product called Adobe XD and it seems they are pushing those of us who use photoshop for app design to use that. However there is a big problem with it since its beta release, it does not support fixed headers and footers. Fixed elements in scrolling artboards (header, nav bar, etc.) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests...   and there hasn't been an official response as far as I have seen as to when they have a fix for that. If you haven't given Adobe XD a look I would suggest it but know it's still a beta product in my book.

So until the day comes when adobe finishes making Adobe XD to make it a real contender; Might I suggest giving invisionapp a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I must say I'm surprised by this decision as well. Many web/app designers are still using Photoshop and device preview was very useful. I know Adobe wants people to use XD, but it can't even export a JPEG yet and has no manual guides (only smart guides). XD is promising, but in my opinion it's not quite ready (yet) for professional production work. Plus, for designers that need to do a lot of photo/retouching work, XD isn't going to be as good as Photoshop, so this move just doesn't make sense to me either.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you UX / UI designer? I think it's time to give up Photoshop.

I am upset by the irrational and irresponsible decision of Adobe.

The recent upgrade feeling the XD emphasis.

Photoshop is stable and skilled, but XD is unstable and lacks the necessary functionality.

With this opportunity, we have to give up windows OS and Adobe Photoshop. Depending on the trend of the times,  we need to change  to sketch and Invision plugin.

windows 환경에서 UX/UI를 디자인하면서 phoshop 만큼 뛰어난 도구는 없지만, XD를 출시하고 photoshop과 중복되는 기능은 제거하는 분위기를 느낄 수 있습니다. 하지만 이런 결정은 XD가 완벽해진 뒤 해야되는데 현재까지는 Wireframe 검증하는 도구 이상으로 필요성을 느낄 수 없습니다. 1~2년 사이에 UX 디자인을 넘어  UI를 시각화하고 interaction을 체크하기 위해 sketch와 Invision 함께 사용하는 construction of infrastructure(환경) 확대되고 있습니다.

이런점을 고민해서 Adobe 방향은 앞으로도 photoshop 사용한 UI 시각화는 어렵게 될 것이라 판단됩니다.

더 늦기전에는 각자 작업환경과 프로그램을 전향해야됨 느끼께됩니다.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freaking hell Adobe. You remove a great feature that I used constantly while adding 100 bugs.

Someone needs to make a complete suite of competing products and I'll switch in a heartbeat. This is getting so annoying. I feel like Adobe doesn't actually care about their users anymore. They just do whatever they want and know they can get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines