• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why will Photoshop CC 2015.5 no longer open JPG or NEF files but does open PSD files?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the most recent updates to Photoshop CC when I try to open JPG files I get a dialog box saying "Could not complete your request because the file was not found."

When I try opening NEF files a box appears which says "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.

PSD files open with no problem.

I'm running Photoshop on a 2011 iMac under MacOS 10.9.5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Here is the list of support cameras:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

For Nikon D90 the Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version required: 5.1 (CC 2015.5 should have v9 or 10)

Also I found this page: Troubleshoot Camera Raw | Photoshop, Photoshop Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your Creative Cloud Desktop Panel, or from inside your CC 2015.5 Application folder, run the uninstaller and try a reinstall.

After that, restart your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, gener7, but that didn't result in any improvement. Unless that last update I did has a particular "dislike" for my now somewhat aged OS on this machine I can't figure what has happened.

.............Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try a Preferences reset?

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the reset...but no luck.

..........Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have to leave. If I find out anything, I'll get back to you, but I hope others here have some ideas.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

The version of Camera RAW that you have is compatible with the CC.2015.5 and the current Nikon camera? (NEF)

Camera Raw plug-in installer

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, I'm not sure how to determine if the version of camera RAW is compatible with the camera and CC 2015.5, but I can say that I have never had a problem with the RAW files before this.

......Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the list of support cameras:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

For Nikon D90 the Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version required: 5.1 (CC 2015.5 should have v9 or 10)

Also I found this page: Troubleshoot Camera Raw | Photoshop, Photoshop Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

When I downloaded Camera Raw v5.1 I got a message that it's certificate had expired, so I tried the newer versions that you said CC 2015.5 should have. Neither v10 nor v9 would install because they require MacOS 10 or higher, while I'm running OS 9.5 on this machine. I worked my way down trying versions lower issues of v9 with no luck.

Now, for my info where (on a Mac) would the Camera Raw plug-in live? I find no Camera Raw plug-in in my CC 2015.5 folder, so I don't even know what version I have.

Thanks,

................Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, all, I got it to work using the plug-in suggestions, although I used a somewhat different approach. I run Time Machine on my Mac which, for those who aren't familiar with it, does incremental saves every hour to an external (in my case, at least) drive. I know I didn't have a problem until late last year, so I went back in Time Machine to October 30, 2017 and went into the Adobe folder in the Application Support folder and found the Plug-Ins folder. I then restored that folder to the proper location on my boot drive. Started up Photoshop and the problem is fixed. BTW, the plug-in contained in that folder was v 9.7.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I tried them all, I think, and learned something from each!

................Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think your suggestions got me to where I needed to be in order to get to my solution, Paul.

.............Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try opening NEF files a box appears which says "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.

Which Nikon camera are your NEF files from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, The NEFs are all from a Nikon D90.

.........Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines