Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 F Keys - Not Working on Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm running Photoshop CC with windows 10 on my Dell laptop.

Somewhere along the line there has been an update which has knackered my shortcuts on the 'f keys' at the top of the laptop keyboard. eg. f5 should show 'Brushes' in Photoshop but now nothing happens when I press F5.
I've got Actions set up in Photoshop as per normal but they don't over-ride the pre-set F key functions.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thx
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

@Iain5FB7 wrote:

...on my Dell laptop.

...pre-set F key functions.

Hi

The function keys typically can be toggled from the standard function keys to the other icons on the keys and are set to one of the sets of controls by default. On Macs, the switch is always in the same place in System Preferences, so it's easy, but on PCs, each vendor does it differently.

• Try holding the Fn key and press a function key to toggle the behavior to the "other" set.
    Right now, for instance, Fn+F5 should show Br

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to reset the Photoshop preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Axel,

I've tried this but without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to make sure I understand this, you have actions that are triggered by a function key, and without any modifier keys?

Sorry to ask, but we need to make sure it is nothing obvious, so check the Actions panel and make sure your new actions are not expecting modifiers like Shift along with the F key.  BTW  I have always thought that unmodified Function keys are far too valuable to waste on their defaults.

image.png

If  you still have a problem, then check the Task Manager and look for other processes that might have stolen the f-key shortcuts. Screen recorders like nVidia's for instance.

The bottom line here is do you definitely see the F key you set in the Actions panel as in my screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Iain5FB7 wrote:

...on my Dell laptop.

...pre-set F key functions.

Hi

The function keys typically can be toggled from the standard function keys to the other icons on the keys and are set to one of the sets of controls by default. On Macs, the switch is always in the same place in System Preferences, so it's easy, but on PCs, each vendor does it differently.

• Try holding the Fn key and press a function key to toggle the behavior to the "other" set.
    Right now, for instance, Fn+F5 should show Brushes.
  • Then search for how to permanently toggle to "Standard Function Keys" on your system.

I am mostly a Mac user, but recently had to purchase a Windows laptop. Notice my Fn (function) key is in the lower left, but it could be in any corner. This one also has "Fn+Esc+lock symbol" and as I recall, I used Fn+Escape to lock the function keys.

5D447228-AC54-4091-B15C-B3B3021CCF33.jpeg

I hope this helps,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

Thanks for the input.

I contacted Adobe support and (as I suspected) the Actions are all fine and working ok.

The problem is, as Jane has mentioned, with the Function key.

The Actions work when holding down the Fn key and then pressing the appropriate shortcut buttons, eg

Fn / shift / f6 will give you the 'feather' box

Fn / f5 will give you the brushes pallette, and so on.

I assume that a Windows update has altered the function of my f keys as they were working fine until recently.

Problem solved!

You help is much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @Iain5FB7 , and I'm glad it's working for you now. Remember that using Fn+F5 is a temporary solution. You need to find out how to toggle to Standard Function Keys as the default, then use Fn+F5 for brightness, volume, etc. Unfortunately, the "how to" appears to vary on Windows PCs and keyboards.

Actions don't know to hold down the Fn key. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines