• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Ink and Photoshop 2014

New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found an irritating issue when using pressure sensitivity on a Wacom Tablet while using Photoshop CC 2014 in Windows 8.1. For some reason with Photoshop 2014 for Windows Adobe has paired pressure sensitivity on a tablet with Windows Ink. This is creating a very annoying issue of pop-up tool hints when using the modifier keys. I do a lot of retouching using a pressure sensitive pen. To have "ALT" pop up every time i use the key is really unacceptable. There must be a way to turn off these tool tips while keeping the pressure sensitivity on.

Didn't anyone at Adobe test out CC 2014 on a Windows machine? And if they did, wouldn't they think that the annoying side effect of pop-ups when using Windows Ink would be a distraction?

So, can someone at Adobe please tell me how to turn off these ridiculous tool tips when using pressure sensitivity? Right now my only workaround is to go back to using Photoshop CC. Please don't tell me that the problem is with Windows - programmers at Adobe decided to pair the brush sensitivity with Windows Ink. They should have seen how Windows Ink would create this annoying problem and they should have come up with a fix for it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

The following advice was given to me be a Wacom tech on the Wacom forums.  Note this was for a Cintiq Companion 2, but it may also be relevant to your issue.

For such issues with Photoshop CC 2014:

1. Uncheck ‘Use Windows Ink’ in the tablet driver (Wacom Tablet Properties> Mapping> uncheck ' Use Windows Ink')

2. Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

How to create the file and where to put it:

a. Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following advice was given to me be a Wacom tech on the Wacom forums.  Note this was for a Cintiq Companion 2, but it may also be relevant to your issue.

For such issues with Photoshop CC 2014:

1. Uncheck ‘Use Windows Ink’ in the tablet driver (Wacom Tablet Properties> Mapping> uncheck ' Use Windows Ink')

2. Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

How to create the file and where to put it:

a. Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

b. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt .

c. put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\

Restart your Photoshop CC 2014, check the pen pressure/ overall performance.

Me again...

In actual fact the above made no difference to me.  I wasn't try to overcome poor overal performance, but rather a glitch with pan and rotate when using a Companion 2 connected to my main computer.  But from your point of view, it suggests that Windows Ink is not hard wired for CC 2014.

Good luck, and it would be helpful to know if it made a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2015 May 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor, the solution worked perfectly. Photoshop is back to working as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm having this same problem but with photoshop 2015 on windows 10. I tried this fix but it isn't working. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still... no tilt recognition ADOBE, FIX THIS! With this psuserconfig hack the pressure works fine without any lag, but there is NO TILT RECOGNITION. I WANT IT.... I AM TRYING TO SOLVE THIS FOR MONTHS... DO SOMETHING ADOBE. WE USE TILT. WE DON´T WANT WINDOWS INK, BECAUSE IT MAKES EVERYTHING LAGGY, LIKE WHEN YOU NEED TO DRAG SOMETHING (FOR EXAMPLE WHEN YOU INCREASE/DECREASE BRUSH SIZE WITH ALT+RIGHT BUTTON+DRAG). Please... I don´t want to change software... Photoshop can be so perfect... just fix this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop recognizes pen tilt information just fine from drivers that work.

If your pen tilt is not being recognized, then it is because your tablet driver has a problem.

Photoshop cannot fix your tablet driver, only your tablet manufacturer can fix the tablet driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The driver works. The tilt works in every software, even in Photoshop with Windows Ink enabled, but with it enabled you get this lag I told you. It may be something small, but it may get in the way of productivity, since there is no lag when we use the psuserconfg.txt hack. But with this hack, we stay without tilt recognition. If you're saying that the tilt is still recognized when disabling Windows Ink and using psuserconfig.txt hack, well then tell us how please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the driver worked, then it would be working in Photoshop as well.

So we know that the driver is not working entirely correctly, even if some other parts of it work in other applications.

Tilt was recognized with WinTab drivers for many years before Photoshop moved to the MS Ink APIs, and continues to be recognized with the MS Ink drivers.

So, to make tilt work, someone has to debug the driver code and see why it is not sending the tilt information to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you. I will tell Wacom that.

Sorry for being annoying. This problem is following me for some time now.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm currently using this trick to ditch the annoying pop up text bubbles showing what keys I'm pressing in windows ink mode. But I'm having some lag issues with brushes in Photoshop that were not occurring when just using windows ink. I find there's a very slight lag on each stroke and about every 30 seconds there will be a much larger lag causing the brush stroke to suddenly render after I have already completed the movement. Any tips? I'm using windows 10 and the latest version of PS CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor you are a GENIUS! This definitely helped! For some reason this problem only started now... even though I had everything running smoothly of 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much! This decision is relevant in 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been around my work since I bought the wacom and finally comes to an end.

So many thanks for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! It finally worked for me! Windows 10 Insider Preview 14361, Photoshop CC 2015.1.2 and my good old bamboo pen tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. It worked for my Photoshop CC 2015.5 with and Intuos 4 pen tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY IMPORTANT you have the lines of code entered exactly as noted by Chappiesan. Must be on two separate lines. I wasted hours and hours after seeing this fix a dozen times all over the place then luckily realized I had entered it all on one line and it does not work if typed like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. It worked for my Photoshop CC 2017 with  Intuos art pen touch tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man, worked for me in CC 2017....after trying other methodes which failed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix the problem until now on Windows 10 (anniversary version), Photoshop CC 2017 and Bamboo Capture. When not using windows ink the tablet funcion is perfect, but no pen presure, so, using this PSUserConfig.txt, on the right folder, evething is fine and with no lags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have this problem now. I tried everything you said, but still pen pressure doesn't work. I tried also to put away the file note from the settings of photoshop, but it didn't work. How can I resolve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem despite doing every suggestion in this thread. I did found a solution that worked in a very similar thread (from user map52237311)

So far so good. Here is the original message bellow.

9. Re: Photoshop CC When I zoom in, I can't draw with my Cintiq 13HD?

1.Open command Prompt in start menu

2.Paste this

reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

3.Press enter

4.Done (basically this will disable pen features that were set in Windows Fall Update ,which causes the whole issue in the first place.

Its work for me when these others method didnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines