• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with ICC Profiles and proofing?

Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I calibrated my display and copied some ICC profiles to my computer and want to use them in Photoshop to see how my photos will look when printed.

I finish working on my image and now want to simulate how it will look when viewing the ICC profile

1. Do I use Edit > Convert to Profile

OR

View > Proof Setup > Custom

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

When a profile is embedded its there to show the recipient what colourspace the file is within. If its your working master (likely an RGB file) then an RGB profile will be embedded.

Whilst working you may (sensibly) choose to softproof 

Choose the CMYK profile that you’ve been told reflects the printing condition.

Select "ink black" to reflect the tonal range of the print better

By all means try 'paper white' as well, but in may cases that may create such a big change

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Proof Setup is the simple way and what you'd normally do.

There's nothing wrong with converting, it will show you the same thing, but of course there's the risk of accidentally overwriting your original, so remember to revert. You can't just convert back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After choosing view > Proof setup it and making some simple adjustments with Curves, is there anything else I should do?

I am going to send the file for printing. Do you want to embed the ICC profile in the file? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You always need to ask the printer what they want, or check the published specs if there are any. There are many variables here and there's no stock answer.

You should generally always embed the profile. The profile is the reference, without a profile the numbers are undefined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I am confused by the purpose of embedding the profile. If the profile helps me simulate how my photo is going to look based on the ink and paper used when printed, how will it benefit to embed it with the file when sending it to the company that will be using the ink and paper I'm trying to simulate to print it?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some workflows require you to convert to and embed the target profile. Some workflows just need you to embed the profile you worked in.  This allows checking, proofing, converting, and other functions. Some other workflows forbid it and require pre-conversion. So ... ask the printer exactly what their needs are. You cannot guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, I didn't mean embedding the print profile. I meant embedding the original document profile.

But anyway, we all agree that the question can't be answered without knowing the printer's requirements and specifications. Find out, and come back here if something's unclear. But we need something to go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When a profile is embedded its there to show the recipient what colourspace the file is within. If its your working master (likely an RGB file) then an RGB profile will be embedded.

Whilst working you may (sensibly) choose to softproof 

Choose the CMYK profile that you’ve been told reflects the printing condition.

Select "ink black" to reflect the tonal range of the print better

By all means try 'paper white' as well, but in may cases that may create such a big change that its not always used. 

What next?

A:

Save with RGB profie embedded with the knowledge that when its converted to CMYK somewhere down the line, it will withstand that conversion. No superstaurated skies etc.

or

B:

Convert to CMYK (as long as you are sure its THE CORRECT CMYK) and generally its best to embed the CMYK profile

However, way back when some print companies platesetter RIPs would choke on embedded profiles. So, some users preferred to not embed (ands still do).

BUT that means the file will not always be viewed accurately on screen. 

If I was asked to send CMYK with no embedded profile then I would add the ICC profile name to the filename.

I hope this helps

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines