Would it be possible to combine Curves and Selective Color, in one tool?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a completely silly question, but I have been working as a color grader in photoshop and a large part of my work revolves around colour matching.

Photoshop does a great job, and usually I can match very accurately the settings of images by using either curves or selective colour and if something is too difficult then it's possibly a Hue / Saturation adjustment layer away.

But sometimes, especially when dealing with certain colour profiles, I manage to spot that colour gradients, from their darkest to their lightest gradients they seem to follow different dynamics than the main curves and not do so in a single lightness adjustment that could be "caught" by tweaking the black setting in any colour band, but rather do so in what seems to be their own individual curve. And these colours are impossible to match.

So I was wondering, how can I go deeper in colour handling, if there is no particular tool that would apply "curves" to a color band and not just the color channel itself (since the color channel does not affect color bands in the way selective color does but intervenes more globally, as expected).

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Would it be possible to combine Curves and Selective Color, in one tool?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a completely silly question, but I have been working as a color grader in photoshop and a large part of my work revolves around colour matching.

Photoshop does a great job, and usually I can match very accurately the settings of images by using either curves or selective colour and if something is too difficult then it's possibly a Hue / Saturation adjustment layer away.

But sometimes, especially when dealing with certain colour profiles, I manage to spot that colour gradients, from their darkest to their lightest gradients they seem to follow different dynamics than the main curves and not do so in a single lightness adjustment that could be "caught" by tweaking the black setting in any colour band, but rather do so in what seems to be their own individual curve. And these colours are impossible to match.

So I was wondering, how can I go deeper in colour handling, if there is no particular tool that would apply "curves" to a color band and not just the color channel itself (since the color channel does not affect color bands in the way selective color does but intervenes more globally, as expected).

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you may need to invest in soem extra color mangling plug-ins. What you describe is pretty much common standard in video grading tools, but I'm not up to speed what options may exist that handle similar stuff in a PS environment. I'm sure a quick web search might get you started.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium, I don't think that it's a common standard in video grading tools. I use both Premiere Pro, After Effects and Resolve. The new Lumetri Curves in Premiere, they do have a glimpse of this idea but not exactly.

To make it simpler as an explanation, I would like a curves tool that would have a red "channel", and that red channel affecting only the red color band but in a curves style (different luminosity adjustment in a different luminosity value).

To say it different, I'd like the color bands to follow their own luminosity curves (it's ok if saturation and hue remain constant, for now, althought it would be a good next step to the idea to include full RGB curve for each color).

The end purpose is to skip selecting color ranges and creating masks in an image as it's (a) too cumbersome (b) forbids exporting a LUT to be used cross platform.

If it was one web search away, I wouldn't be in here asking now, would I?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post an example? 

It may not be sufficient for your needs but have you tried using Blend If-settings? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, I tried to explain in this unlisted video - only shown here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnNvNuBvArY

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you know that the handles of the Blend If-settings can be split. 

But that would probably still not meet your needs. 

You could use a Smart Object with an Adjustment (Layer) as the basis of a somewhat convolted staking wo work as a Layer Mask for a Curves Layer.

That way you could »borrow« the targeting of Selective Color or Hue/Saturation. 

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 11.43.03.pngScreenshot 2020-09-15 at 11.42.28.pngScreenshot 2020-09-15 at 11.42.37.png 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for understanding. About blending, yes, I know all features. It's even easier than your way, if you select a colour range and make a mask. But please keep in mind than neither with a mask or with a smart object you will be able to create a LUT with your settings. The end product should be the ability to create LUTs, so it should be only a background layer (your image) and the adjustment layers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not relevant to the issue of the thread, but: The SO approach is sometimes useful, for example when the object is still being touched up; that way one doesn’t need to re-do the Layer Mask. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it could be useful if instead of a LUT export I'd need to create a lighter action (that wouldn't create color range masks) instead. But my end purpose here would be to create 100% accurate LUTs. And by 100% I mean that 240-32-29 Red becomes 230-20-40 for example, while at the same time it may be brighter towards the midtones and darker in the shadows, and all this, acting indipendentently from all other colors, and indipendent from the master luminosity of the profile )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link but I prefer to use my own video how to create LUTs because it's more informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpZmdr_oPs&t

But this post is not only about this )

In this video we learn how to create LUTs in Photoshop and use the LUT system as a versatile tool to create our own presets.Σε αυτό το βίντεο μαθαίνουμε πως ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0