• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web - "A write permissions error has occurred" - on macOS (Dropbox issue)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not export any legacy formats.
I have enabled photoshop 2021 in the systems security permissions for full disk access and the same for files and folders and accessibility, after having read some of the previous advice on here for older versions of photoshop and OS, but to no avail. An error message appears every time I try to save for web legacy - It's an animated GIF I'm trying to export. An incredibly frustrating fault that needs to be addressed soon! 

{PS-75070}

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

I've managed to fix this. Its a permissions issue with Dropbox itself and not Protoshop.

Here's the steps:

Disable Dropbox Backup temporally in settings.

Close Dropbox.

Find Dropbox in Applications, right click, go to Get Info.

Add Read/Write access to Administrators & Everyone. Save.

Open Dropbox.

Enable Backups again.

Open photoshop and hey presto Export for Web is working and Dropbox Backups are enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

The answer from Henryh worked for me the first time, and again when I forgot and came back to this forum. 

Dropbox backups will not allow me to Save for Web from Photoshop sometimes. It works fine for days or weeks, then suddenly it won't.

(I'm on a 2015 iMac with Mojave os; you may not have this issue on a newer system.)

These are the instructions that I received from Dropbox live chat (with my notes in parens) and after I did these, I was able to Save for Web again.

• Open your Dropbox desktop app

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

I ran into this issue and found a solution using information from another forum. For me, it had something to do with Dropbox backups. I turned off the backup of my files that was going to Dropbox and re-tried exporting the photo in legacy format (save for web). This time instead of the error message I got a popup to allow permissions for it to write to the destination folder. I granted it permission and the export was successful. After the successful export I was able to re-enable Dropbox backup

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately, I've been running into this weird issue as I'm trying to save from psd to png (using save for web, shift + option + command+ S). The error message reads

Adobe Save for Web error

Could not complete this operation. A write

permissions issue has occurred.

A Google search about this returns nothing. Whether I'm trying to save to my desktop or to Dropbox amounts to the same error. And it seems to be doing that systematically now. My systems permissions seem to be set to read & write, so I'm really confused about this. Does anybody have an idea as to what might cause the problem? I've recently upgraded to Mac OS 11 (Big Sur), and I believe the problem began around the same time... Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if you go to the security and privacy settings double check you have this

also sometimes if you reset the preferences is the solution

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 7.52.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, I am trying to say an image that I have modified on Photoshop 2021 for a website but i cannot save it. Each time it gives me the same error. I tried to just save it and also export it with Web Legacy. I already cheked all the permissions of files and folders on the system preference. Can anyone help please? It never happened to me before I just updated my photoshop to the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same i have had it for 3 or so months

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. As a matter of fact, I do have the permissions opened as one would expect under Files and folders in the Privacy tab of the Security & Privacy section of System Preferences.

What I found out since I posted this issue is that Photoshop seems to have changed their Save for Web functionality in Photoshop, so when I try to save using the usual keyboard shortcut Shift + Option + Command + S, it amounts to no good. But if instead of hitting S with that key combination, I hit W (as in Shift + Option + Command + W) - exporting As as opposed to Save for Web - then it prompts a different window and then I can save to png or any other format with ease.

So I guess I fixed my issue, but in the most unexpected way possible. Hope this helps others who were running into the same problem. I can't be the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I also have same/similar issue. My error message is: ADOBE SAVE FOR WEB ERROR - could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occurred. My aim is to export some slices.

My operating software is Big Sur on MAC.

I reset my photoshop 2021 preferences - did not help.

Also checked my systems security permissions. Under security & privacy, photoshop 21 has all access under accessibility and files and folders.

Don't know what to do now. Please help.

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now saving. I don't really know what was the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having the same issue.

I am on MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 & Photoshop 2021 (tried on both 22.2 & 22.1).

Recieving this message when I slice a medium size image and try to export for web:

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 8.33.39 pm.png

I have done all of the trouble-shooting things suggested on all the threads and nothing has worked ! 😞

I am now testing installing an earlier version of Photoshop to try and get the job done for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error message in popup window when you click the "save" button in "save for web (legacy)":

Adobe Save for Web Error

Could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occurred.

Tried saving in many different folders, and new folders, inside and outside of dropbox. Restarted everything, updated to latest PS version 22.2.0. Macbook pro Big Sur 11.2.1. The image I'm trying to export is an animated gif. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 5.36.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue... ugh so frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same error using the Save to Web: Write permissions error - Photoshop 2021 version 22.2 on macOS Catalina 

The only reason for using this is to avoid having to change the image size before exporting. Exporting to PNG or JPG still works. I like the old workflow, but I guess I'll have to learn a new one.

...Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this error. I have reset, restarted, given permissions, made the files smaller...nothing works. Please address! My students are starting to think I don't know what  I am doing 😉 Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same or similar issue with 2021 Photoshop. My workflow is to Save to Web to a PNG-24. It does go to that screen but then saves as HTML. This is on a MacBook Pro running OS Catalina. My old iMac, running OS High Sierra (because its too old to upgrade from there), and running Photoshop 2020, saves to PNG-24 just fine.I've looked everywhere and compared psd versions, preferences, etc. and cannot find a setting that is somehow different.

My work around in the 2021 is a simple "Export As" (vs Save for Web Legacy) but my question is: does that give me a PNG-24? It just says "PNG" in the format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same issue and went through all of the troubleshooting as well! I reverted back to Photoshop 22.0.1 and I'm able to save for web again.

macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 -- updating to 11.2.2 tonight and will try going back to the latest Photoshop version to see if that fixed anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seit geraumer Zeit ist es nicht mehr möglich die Funktion "Für WEB speichern" zu verwenden. Es erscheint immer die Fehlermeldung: Der vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden. Ein Schreibzugriffsfehler ist aufgetreten. 

Rechte mäßig hat sich nichts geänder auf meinem MAC. Deinstallieren und neu Installieren sowie PS im gesicherten Modus starten hat auch alles nichts gebracht! Hat das Problem noch jemand? Oder jemand eine Lösung. Danke! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using instead: File > Export > Export As...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ja sure.. i know this workflow. But i can`t edit in this mode the pic size. (e.g. i need the pic in 600x400 px) - this is the reason, why i will use the save process for web 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you use: Image > Image Size in Photoshop to resize the dimensions of the image before you save it in the format you want it in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course this is also possible, but i save 300 pics per week in a special size and format. So this workflow needs more clicks and more time! I will not use a Workaround.. so if i have the function "save as web" i have all relevant parameter on one place... it mus be possible to solve this issue?! thank you for your commands and support topics... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would File > Scripts > Image Processor do what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and what helped me was holding down the alt key in the save for web dialog - that changes the Cancel and Done buttons to Reset and Remember. Clicking on those made the problem go away.

Skærmbillede 2021-03-10 kl. 11.49.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well. Big Sur 11.2 and Photoshop 22.3.0.

My workaround has been to hit the Preview-button in Save for Web dialogue and from that page save the image file.

Everytime Photoshop or OS updates I am hoping it will be fixed, but so far no luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried holding down the alt key in the save for web dialog box - that changes the Cancel and Done buttons to Reset and Remember? Clicking on those made the problem go away for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Tried it after you posted. No difference. Also threw out all the pref-files. Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this too, but no luck. Thank you though!

Votes

Translate

Translate