• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web - "A write permissions error has occurred" - on macOS (Dropbox issue)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not export any legacy formats.
I have enabled photoshop 2021 in the systems security permissions for full disk access and the same for files and folders and accessibility, after having read some of the previous advice on here for older versions of photoshop and OS, but to no avail. An error message appears every time I try to save for web legacy - It's an animated GIF I'm trying to export. An incredibly frustrating fault that needs to be addressed soon! 

{PS-75070}

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

I've managed to fix this. Its a permissions issue with Dropbox itself and not Protoshop.

Here's the steps:

Disable Dropbox Backup temporally in settings.

Close Dropbox.

Find Dropbox in Applications, right click, go to Get Info.

Add Read/Write access to Administrators & Everyone. Save.

Open Dropbox.

Enable Backups again.

Open photoshop and hey presto Export for Web is working and Dropbox Backups are enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

The answer from Henryh worked for me the first time, and again when I forgot and came back to this forum. 

Dropbox backups will not allow me to Save for Web from Photoshop sometimes. It works fine for days or weeks, then suddenly it won't.

(I'm on a 2015 iMac with Mojave os; you may not have this issue on a newer system.)

These are the instructions that I received from Dropbox live chat (with my notes in parens) and after I did these, I was able to Save for Web again.

• Open your Dropbox desktop app

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

I ran into this issue and found a solution using information from another forum. For me, it had something to do with Dropbox backups. I turned off the backup of my files that was going to Dropbox and re-tried exporting the photo in legacy format (save for web). This time instead of the error message I got a popup to allow permissions for it to write to the destination folder. I granted it permission and the export was successful. After the successful export I was able to re-enable Dropbox backup

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up saving from the Preview window. Great workaround! I too hope the updates will fix this soon...do you think going back to an older version of PSD would be a good idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me ocurre lo mismo en Windows 10 x64, ¡Solución ya! Señores de Adobe. ¡Ya!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled back to 22.0 but it didn't work for me.

I am running the new M1 chip so perhaps that's an issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... I have it also on Big Sur...MiniMAC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not... the web is full of cries for help!

I too checked my permissions, reset preference files, restarted my Mac but still that little nasty window!

Thanks for your fix, it does work - although I still find Save for Web more detailed in how to manage the images. 

I wish Adobe would participate more actively in these forums so we can understand if the issue is due to a wrong configuration of our computers (but as I said, I tried everything they suggest - I like many many other people!) or if it's a changed PS functionality.

It would save a lot of stress and time looking for work-arounds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. 2012 Mac Pro running Mojave on an administrator account. Was working fine, and then it wasn't, with no discernable changes to account for it. Have nuked settings (Cmd-Opt-Shift when clicking to start App), added to Full Disk Access in Security, tried the Option "Reset" and "Remember" trick, rebooted more times than I care to admit, and even ran disk utility thinking maybe I needed to repair permissions, and still nothing. Working on animated gifs and using the "Preview" workaround, but it's annoying and time-consuming. I know this is a legacy feature, but there's no other way to output an animated gif, so forced to use it. Anyone know if PSDs saved in 2021 will open in previous versions? May need to walk back to an older version until it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!!!!! You can't have any symbols like underscores in the file name!!!! Or spaces between words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigue sin funcionar a pesar de no poner símbolos en el nombre de archivo. Incluso habiendo actualizado Ps hoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac Pro late 2013 running Photoshop 22.3. When trying to save an image for web to a desktop folder I get an error "Could not complete this operation, A write permissions error has occurred". Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT use legacy Save For Web.  It's called 'legacy' for a reason.

Use File > Export > Export As...

If you're trying to export an animated GIF, use fewer frames in your animation and/or reduce height & width to reduce bandwidth (file size).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I've just updated to Big Sur on my Intel Macbook pro. Running latest versions of everything (PhotoShop 22.4 and Big Sur 11.3.1). I also just want to save out an animated GIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not complete this operation. A write permission error has occurred.

Do we actually have a solution for this error, other than a work a round?

I have already changed permissions in security settings for Photoshop

Its really quite annoying. I just did the latest download hoping it was resolved still with no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Photoshop forum from Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue OS Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. My work around - Click the 'Preview Button' which is on the bottom left of the export panelScreenshot 2021-05-24 at 20.04.19.png. Then right-click the gif and save it to a local folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here after the Update to Photoshop 22.4.1 on Mac OS Big Sur 11.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am running on the katest version of photoshop 22.4.2 and on Mac Big Sur version 11.4 it won't let me save for web, i have deleted my preferences, restrated, uninstalled and reinstalled for web and the same error message keeps appearing see belowScreenshot 2021-06-21 at 14.28.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you give Photoshop Full Disk Access in the Mac OS preferences/security and privacy settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fix!

You have to go to Security and Privacy in system preferences, go to Full Disk Access on the left.

Then, in the finder, go to the Go menu, (Go Menu > Go to Folder" and put:

/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/XPCServices/com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService

Then drag "com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService" into the list of apps allowed to access data (see attached screenshot). You can't, as far as I can tell, add it using the + button, but dragging-and-dropping worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this @guruscotty . I tried adding com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService and also the "Save For Web" app by dragging them to the Full disk access items. Unfortunately none of this worked for me...

Now the issue has also surfaced on my iMac. I am starting to think this has something to do with my Dropbox. Anyone else have Dropbox installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it didn't work for you!

I do have Dropbox, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonsoir,

J'étais en train de me faire un petit GIF avec quelques photos et au moment d'enregistrer mon GIF...impossible !

On me parle de droit d'accès (???) que je n'aurai pas.

Est-ce-que quelqu'un aurait la solution pour débloquer cela ?

Merci beaucoup,

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the experience with Photoshop while trying to export the GIF. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you're using along with your computers macOS version? Since when are you facing this issue?

If you're using macOS Catalina or macOS Big Sur, please ensure that Photoshop has the necessary permissions using the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

You can also check: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/p-save-for-web-error-a-write-permissions-error-has-occurred...

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Export As works for some things, but I loved using save for web when using slices. Export as doesn't support that. I Hope Adobe comes back with a better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

da ich auch diese Problem habe würde mich interessieren ob Sie das lösen konnten ?

Votes

Translate

Translate