• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your computer is low on memory - Suddenly.

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been running Photoshop cs6 on my win 8 system with 12gb of memory for years.

For some reason I have started getting "Your computer is low on memory" warnings from Windows.  If I am not quick enough, Photoshop will get closed on me.  This has never happened and I have always had much more running than just photoshop and my email in a browser...including lightroom, music, 25 browser tabs...I've always basically worked on this system as though I had infinte memory and never had a single issue.

The .psd I am working on is only 5mg, but I see in the task manager that Photoshop does seem to creep up on it's memory usage - last time I checked it was up around 4gb.

Has anyone come across this?  Is there anything I can check?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm not very familiar with Windows, but Windows has 32-bit and 64-bit applications. Are you using a 64-bit version of Photoshop?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should have mentioned.  64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds more like a scratch disk issue. Photoshop can't function without free disk space for the scratch disk. How much free space do you have on your system drive?

Photoshop doesn't close down because of low RAM, but it might work a little slower because it has to rely more on the scratch disk. But once the scratch disk space runs out, it's curtains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

50gb on SSD sys drive.

I pumped up the scratch disk space to 8gb already this week, but it did not help.

Basically, nothing else running.  Towards the bottom left of Photoshop though it does read:

"Doc: 3.11/910m"

Is this of any concern?  I can only assume that the 910m means - something is taking up nearly a gig.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Scratch disk space is too small at 8GB. Can you manage to increase it to about 50GB?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pumped it up to 11gb.  I can't give it 50gb because that is the only available space I have remaining on the drive - 50gb.  Will try.

Curious though why this would have worked for years and years, with huge vehicle wrap .psd's that were hundreds of mgs.  I've never every touched the scratch disk size.  Why now?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I forgot that the system drive is 50GB. In that case, it is impossible to create an empty space.

50GB is a size that can secure enough space, so it may not be necessary. How do you need space to save files?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share this file that Photoshop has issues opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I cannot.  It's nothing special - just a mockup of a form.  It's approx. 5mg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Low on memory often means low on disk space. This isn't about scratch space, it's about the Windows Swap files, and increasing swap space can mean they have even less. Make sure there is LOTS of free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm up to 60gb now.  I'll see how this goes.  Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends,

I am continuing to have memory issues, despite the recommendations which I am thankful for.

To use Photoshop - with this file - causes a low memory error to appear and applications start crashing.  Loading photoshop on it's own seems fine.  I have been sharing this .PSD with a system running Adobe Photoshop CC.  Could this be the cause of the problem?

I find this so strange because I have never had a memory issue in many years of using this system with memory intensive applications like Lightroom, Photoshop and so forth.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug I am new to this thread, and might be missing some background.  What sort of hardware are you running? What operating system, and how many drives does it have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Howdy Trevor -

I have been running Photoshop cs6 (64 bit) on my win 8 system with 12gb of memory for years.

The system drive is 200gb SSD.  The other drive is a 1.8TB SATA drive.  USB keys, etc., often plugged in and a few portable drives.

Not a new girl I know, but the key point is that it has rocked out hard for years (has worked fine).  I use it as though there were no memory limits.  Perfect machine in my mind.  The SSD upgrade was a huge one.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Thank you,

Doug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines