• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your disk copy of image was changed since last opened or saved (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am  occasionally getting a message that "the disk copy of image  was changed since the file was last opened or saved". The OS is 10.6.6 and I am using CS5. It happens on no specific file. All of my files are pretty big. The current one that this is happening on is a psb that is 3.26 G unflattened. I have from  ignorance always ignored the message and saved anyway. I have never detected any damage or discernible changes to the files after ignoring the warning, but after searching Adobe forum and reading a thread about this happening in CS4, I guess I should be more cautious and do a save as and change the file name. I started this thread because no one has reported the issue happening in CS5.

The files were all given to me by ftp as either psd, tiff or camera raw files.  I work on duplicates of the originals in no other program but photoshop and opened and closed the files a few times before getting the message about the disk copy being changed. All of my files are saved to an internal harddrive and  backed up on a time capsule device. I am on a network, but am the sole user of the network. The files are  worked on and saved to an internal hard drive on the same computer. They are never opened on another computer which is usually turned off. I am running no virus protection software except what ever is native to the OS. The only other applications I am running when getting this message are safari, mail and sometimes bridge.

Why am I getting this message and what is causing changes (that I can't detect) to the disk copy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

The mesage means what it says:  something outside of Photoshop has modified your file on disk since the time that Photoshop saved the file.

We don't know what might be changing them -- just that the OS returns a different modification time for the file than what it was when Photoshop saved the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 225 Replies 225
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember when they used to teach the scientific method in schools. Now people are fighting to be able to teach about Jesus lizards. The absence of reason in this forum discussion is not surprising.

If Photoshop worked fine for you in 10.5 and now does not work in 10.6, what evidence do you have that it is not Apple's fault? The variable in your test appears to be Apple. Could it be possible that Apple's new OS broke something that worked fine before? Could it be possible that you have a different system setting for some background process in the newer OS? Could it be possible that you have a new process in 10.6 that was not running in 10.5?  Could it be possible that you have a different network setup? Could it be possible that the majority of users do not have this problem and that you have something quirky on your system that needs to be identified?

That, frankly, is why you should not limit your reasoning. 

kate@pick2.com wrote:

...Has adobe installed CS5 w/ Snow Leopard on a Mac?...

No. Never. They only run their software on an Amiga 4000 computer.

Oy. What kind of silly question was that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marian, are you experiencing this problem? Do you work for adobe? are you trying to solve this problem? why waste time "reasoning" that apple will fix an adobe product? the issue is happening with an adobe product, that is the only evidence available. only reason i posted today was that when looking to solve same issue others were experiencing i hoped that mentioning the InDesign part might help us all. but Chris pointed out that was not something they want to consider as pertinent. i don't agree, but what can you do. and re my silly question, how would i know they run software on an Amiga 4000 computer? when our clients want something to be used on a pc, i set up a testing environment so i can experience exactly what they do so they won't have any frustration with what we give them as a finished product. they don't know all the tech stuff, and we take great pains to make sure they don't feel stupid if they do have a problem. we apologize even if it's not our fault, and we work to fix it. that's just customer service, and empathy for people's busy lives and work stress. is this forum just a place to demonstrate superior arcane technical knowledge rather than solving a problem that is interfering with some of our jobs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kate, you really need to read this entire thread to understand.

You may also want to read this one too.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/370206

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been installing and running Photoshop CS5 (and previous versions) on Snow Leopard since before Snow Leopard was released to the public.

Again, we have never reproduced this problem.  There is something different about your system that makes it show the problem -- while millions of other users running the same OS and application don't see such a problem.  But we don't know what is different about your system.  We've tried all our guesses, and customer suggestions, about what might cause the problem - and yet we still can't reproduce it.

Why does Photoshop show this error?  Because Photoshop is one of the few applicaitons to check for such things.  Should we stop warning you about changes to your file just because a few people have problems on their systems: no.

We're not trying to diminish the problem - just explain why we can't wave a magic wand and fix your system.

And because this problem only affects a few people, the odds of it being a bug in Photoshop itself are pretty low.

Usually when issues like this come up, everyone has some third party plugin, or system utility installed that causes the problem -- and they forgot about installing those things.

Once someone figures out what factor/software caused the issue - then we can work with other customers affected to see if they have the same cause, or possibly a different cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris Just letting you know that one more person is getting this message when saving. Plus clipboard issues from Illustrator to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What "clipboard issues"?

And the times we've seen this when saving it was due to third party plugin bugs (like Suitcase), bugs in the OS file system code (SMB to a server), or bugs in the server itself (XiNet mostly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Clipboard - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/906012

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the saving issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions: give us more information.

Are you saving to a file server? If so, stop that.

Are you saving to a different file system (non-MacOS)?

Are you using any kind of utility to modify the Finder, save dialogs, or other file system behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does have some known problems where it holds files open and modifies files when you don't think it would.

And Photoshop and InDesign share almost no code.  They even use different OS APIs (Carbon vs Cocoa) in CS5.

But beyond known bugs in other applications, we have never reproduced the problem.

We've spent a lot of time investigating, and are pretty sure that Photoshop is doing the right thing and detecting external modifications correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to join the club of Photoshop (CS5) users that receive the message 'The disk copy of IMAGE was changed...'. I doubt it's something a few users see since most of my colleagues (OSX users) have the same issue but ignore it.

I started getting the feedback since I updated to Lion. I don't use time machine, Bridge or Dropbox. Spotlight only launches my apps. I noticed that I get the feedback whenever I have Safari (5.1) running. Closing Safari and I no longer get the feedback. This makes sense because before I updated to Lion I used Chrome and I didn't see this feedback. Other than switching to Safari I didn't change my workflow. No clue what Safari does in the background, I've also got no clue how to check what Safari is actually doing while it's running in the background.

Not sure if anyone else is running Safari while this happens? It might be a coincidence but just in case I'm switching back Chrome for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, This is probably a long shot, but I am wondering if bad RAM can cause or contribute to a disk copy change alert? A few days ago my computer started to get kernel panic. When I took the computer in for repair, they told me that 2 out of the 4 stacks of memory were bad. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't likely that bad RAM could cause such a specific problem.

Disk problems might, but not so regularly.

And why does this happen regularly for a few people, but never for the majority of users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2011 Sep 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth and incase this is helpful to someone else, bad RAM seems to have caused my issue. My computer had 16 GB of RAM installed on it. The computer passed an extended hardware test that ran for 14 hours in looping mode, but I took it in for diagnostic tests anyway. 8GB of RAM were found to be bad and were replaced. The computer has been back for about 10 days now and I have not yet received any more messages about the disc copy being changed.

(I seemed to have accidentally logged in with an old, obsolete user id. This message was actually posted by caligula1.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone. This is getting really weird.

one week ago i said to my self. Lets start all over, reinstalling everyting.

And so i did. Mac OS X Snow Leopard from scratch and then Creative Suite CS5 right after.

Then Suitcase Fusion 3, Dropbox (Latest) and some other programs we use.

Just 2 days after we began useing the computer for work again. The same stupid message came up ?

So how is this possible when nothing special is installed ? There must be something (bug) in Photoshop/

Bridge somewhere. I was hopeing it went away after a fresh install, but it didn't.

So here we are. Still the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've looked at Photoshop for such problems, and haven't found anything.

We've tested this, and never reproduced it.

There is some other factor that we haven't seen, something that has changed on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blaming Safari was too good to be true

Feedback keeps returning...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will help or not, but upgrading Suitcase Fusion 3 to ver. 14.1.1 did the trick for me...finally!!!

And I also agree with everybody, it is extremely frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting Steve! This Suitcase update appears to have fixed BOTH the Photoshop saving issue and InDesign graphics linking issue. Yay!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting contrast to post #98 and #101.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through application of the scientific method we have observed that the fine folks that make Suitcase know how to fix Photoshop and InDesign problems better than Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Funny stuff here. Upgrading from Suitcase 14 to 14.1.1 caused the problem on my system. Computers are evil. We know this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several people here get the same problem.

I can consistently recreate the 'The disk copy of "filename.psd" was changed since...'. I am using a 3 month old iMac 27" i7 and CS5.5. The only additional software is for a Wacom pad, Suitcase Fusion 3 and Transmit FTP.

It makes no difference if I am saving over the network or to my own hard drive.

I haven't been able to make it happen if I create a new file, work on it and then save, only if I open old files which pre date CS5.5.

Does anyone have any more ideas? I don't mind pressing 'OK' one extra time, but I don't want to lose work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above, Suitcase had a bug in their plugin that would modify files after they were written.

Try disabling the Suitecase plugin for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read all the post hoping some constant would show up in them but nothing. I've been having the same problem for 2 months. I keep saving anyway. I am not on a server, I do use Time Machine (which I have for much longer than the problem). I use Photoshop CS5 on Lion. I do use Suitcase and that is up to date. The Lion System is the only change I've made to any preferences on my entire Mac including software preferences for more than two months. It just showed up one day. Another quirk is that some Photoshop docs are having pixelation problems. I've done a system ulitilization check on all my disks and no problems there. My only guess is there's a communication problem between Adobe Photoshop and Apple's new system. It's a guess because not all of us are so saavy to understand the errors. But, I would like to add me to the list of people who are still begging for a solution. It's not so uncommon as some above posters have suggested.

Please keep us informed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling Suitcase? Maybe they haven't really fixed the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines